1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Sarles

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Tofa, Jul 3, 2006.

1. Tofa Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

is there a way to gain his services without giving him the illithium?

2. Chelsea Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Kind of with a substitute. But that is a huge spoiler. ;)

3. Tofa Gems: 7/31

i tried with the fake stuff but he denied me.

4. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

To get Sarles to make the statue, you have to give him the illithium. The fake alloy will make him leave.

5. kmonster Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Veteran

Bring the fake stuff to the temple.

6. Clixby Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Although the alloy DOES have another use in regards to a certain weapon... I think.

7. Tofa Gems: 7/31

thanks all.

8. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

*SPOILER*
    If you have both both the illithium and substitute on you, Sarles will automatically take the real stuff, so drop that before you talk to him. While he'll be outraged that you tried to trick him and leave, that does complete the quest and you can go on from there. You get less of a reward at the temple, but you get to keep the illithium to improve the Mace of Disruption.

Unless the IMoD factors highly into my plans, I usually just give Sarles the illithium.

9. Chelsea Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

That waas what I waas getting at!

I tend to get the good stuff, take it to Cromwell with Mace of Disruption to make the great IMoD.

*ALL HAIL*

Then take crappy substitute to Sir Poncy-pants, he will leave town (thus no one can check on any authenticity issues) - *wink* - take fake to temple, High Poopah thinks it represents the stain on all souls (or something similar) and you pass the mission and get exp plus the rather lovely Helm of Glory, part of my supersaver kit! ;)

10. Anjo Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Might be a long shot but IIRC Saerileth mod allows you buy illithium-ore in one of it's quests.

11. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

Give him the damn metal and later sic a Fiend on him :D

12. Scythesong Immortal Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Media:
    You're too kind Shrikant :p

13. Brettoni Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

[​IMG] so the illithium + mace of disruption makes a new weapon?
    is this in the vanilla game or with a mod?

14. kuemper Gems: 31/31

It's in the normal game. The hitch that gets you to discover this combo is you have to have the illithium ore (not the fake stuff) on you when you talk to Cromwell. He won't say anything if you have MoD; only the ore. You have to decide at the start of the Sir Sarles quest if you're going to fit the IMoD in your weapon selection.

15. Brettoni Gems: 5/31

what does the IMOD do more ?

16. Felinoid

Adds Negative Plane Protection, and it becomes a +2 mace (enchanted as +5) rather than a +1 mace (enchanted as +3).

17. kuemper Gems: 31/31

And has a chance of destroying undead if they fail their save. Don't count on it, though. :shake:

18. Felinoid

Yes, but that's on both versions (regular and improved), so I didn't feel the need to mention it.

19. kuemper Gems: 31/31

For some reason, I was thinking the MoD was -2 and IMoD was -4 for those saves.

20. Brettoni Gems: 5/31

[​IMG] thanks for the replies. the IMOD seems pretty good. Time to trick Sarles... ;)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.