1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Sarevok's weapon proficiencies?

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by beppogg, Feb 2, 2009.

1. beppogg Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

i am almost ready to enter throne of bhaal and is looking forward to strengthen my party with sarevok. my only consern is that i don't know what weapon proficiencies he starts with. i will be lvl 20-21 when i arrive to him i guess...

i have searched the web for this answer but i can't really find it anyware. does anyone of you know?

my idea is to get rid of minsc to make room for sarevok but that means that i don't have anyone to master the flail of ages anymore (except for viconia, but she really make my party better by using her sling...). my hope then lies in if i can make sarevok dual wield with flail and perhaps another type of weapon before the game ends. (i only did the first lvl of watcher's keep so i have a lot of exp to collect there)

to sum my questions: what lvl will sarevok be and what proficiencies will he have when i find him? how often will he earn a new proficiency?

thank you for your help...!

/beppogg

2. hannibal555 Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Media:
    Sarevok: Lvl 19

Starting Proficiencies:
    Two-Handed Sword (5)
    Crossbow (2)
    Halberd (1)
    Two-Handed Weapon Style (2)

I took it from the guide of Aldeth the Foppish

Obviously he's best with a 2 handed Sword.
    Would cost him 5 proficiency point to be equally (almost) good with two weapons (3 in two weapon, 2 in flail).
    That's ca. 15 Levels you have to gain for that,iirc.

3. beppogg Gems: 1/31

ok, thanks

then i think i'll let viconia have the flail of ages as her melee weapon when she needs to and go for a two-handed sword to start with and with ravanger +6 (halberd) after a couple of levels for sarevok.

thanks again for the reply!

/beppogg

4. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    He is extremely effective with halberds with one more point. IMO, you really don't gain much going from ** to ***** -- +1 to hit, +2 damage and a bit faster. That's nothing compared to the advantages of some halberds in the game.

You have a good plan. Sarevok is a monster with two handed weapons. You don't need to dual wield with him. In ToB the best weapons are two handed (there are three +6 weapons). You shouldn't dilute him with the puny FoA -- it's better left to Viconia.

5. beppogg Gems: 1/31

good, then i'm on the right track...

i just don't know what i should do with my own char at the moment. i'm a backstabbing fighter/thief, lvl13 thief (to get x5 backstab) and lvl 21 fighter with 5* long sword, 2* single weapon style (to get the critical hit bonus), 2* crossbow (if i need the distance some time) and some other points that followed me from my time as thief.

some lvls ago i started to put points in two-weapon style (got 2* at the moment). as you can see, i'm a big fan of dual wield but is this the right way to go? and if so, what weapon should i use as my second one? should i go for sword/sword or maby the flail... the crom faeyr is already used by korgan along with an axe (hopefully the unyielding later on) so that is not a choice. i also want to be able to backstab so it have to be weapons in my main slot with backstabbing abilities.

i have most of watcher's keep and all the expansion left so i guess i will get a couple of *... maby i should go for the sword/shield style to get me some more ac. after all i can not use any of the great armor.

this was a long question but it's kind of lame to do the wrong choice now and then find a weapon later on that i don't know how to use...

thanks for any suggestions!

/beppogg

Last edited: Feb 3, 2009
  6. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Depends on the other characters in your party. Katana's give ungodly backstabs. The best backstab weapon in the game is a staff.

Short sword is actually a good proficiency to have as is scimitar for a dual wielder.

7. beppogg Gems: 1/31

this is my party right now:

-me - fighter/thief single weapon blackrazor (long sword)
    -minsc - dual wield with flail of ages and usuno's blade (scimitar). will kick him for sarevok, who i will equip as previous posts, shortly.
    -korgan - dual wield with frostreaver (axe) and crom faeyr (war hammer)
    -viconia - ranged: sling of arvoreen alt. melee: wyvern's tail(?)
    -edwin - ranged: fire tooth (throwing dagger) alt. melee: staff of the magi
    -imoen - ranged: short bow of gesen alt melee: staff of rynn

at the beginning of the game it didn't matter what alignment they had but i found out that i liked the evil way much more (i was neutral at first but became evil after the nine hells). unfortunately yoshimo betrayed me so i had to go with imoen to get the thieving skills i don't have.

i think i have a point in short sword since my time as thief but i don't remember...

8. T2Bruno

Media:
    There is one short sword, one scimitar, and one ninja-to (scimitar prof) which will allow an extra attack with your main hand weapon. I usually like to have proficiency in both sharp and blunt weapons (club or staff is good for a thief, they both can backstab -- but there are no great clubs in ToB).

Angurvadel will be a great long sword for you (gives a 22 strength when upgraded). Other good longswords include Blackrazor, The Equalizer, and The Answerer. The Short Sword of Mask is a good weapon for a thief. The scimitar Spectral Brand has a nice bonus to hit for a short time. If you gain bastard sword proficiency you could wield Foebane or even Purifier (if you have UAI). For katanas you can use Hindo's Doom or Celestial Fury. A lot of good choices when you dual wield.

Still, Staff of the Ram is not a bad choice -- it does more damage on a backstab than any other weapon.

9. hannibal555 Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Media:
    Soulreaver or Silver Sword are great 2h-swords pre TOB, which could be given to Sarevok.
    In ToB Gram Sword of Grief is probably the best option.
    But, given 2 * points in it, every 2h weapon will do, sooner or later.

10. beppogg Gems: 1/31

i said earlier that i wanted an all evil party but yoshimo (ok he's not evil but at least neutral...) ruined it for me so i had to get imoen. now i found out that i can teleport any of the npc's in to the pocket plane in tob. is jan a better choice for me? i need the lock-pick perk (and perhaps also pick pocket) from my other thief as i concentrated on find traps and hide in shadows for my own character. imoen has an ok lock-pick, but she can't improve that skill. jan can still improve in his thieving skills...

what thieving-stats will jan start with when you join with him?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.