1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Sarevok! How do you kill this thing?!

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by DarthOne, Sep 15, 2005.

1. DarthOne Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

The hell ?! How do you beat this...THING ?! no lemme say that in other words, this killin'-machine , specialy with Angelo who keeps shooting explosive arrows at my team !

And I mean, even with an -11 ac and my boots of haste he can hit me fine(I'm speaking of Imoen there, not my Char) ! He's just WAY too fast and WAY too powerful ! God I NEVER should have installed this harder patch, now not only does he have hi standarc attacks, but he got three time his normal Hp !

[ September 16, 2005, 00:43: Message edited by: DarthOne ]

2. Celesialraven Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

I never really liked that battle... I always just used the old lure-one-at-a-time-and-pepper-him-with-arrow-and-spells approach. Whatever works, no?

*EDIT* I almost forgot, now would be the time to use all of those potions of heroism and such... if you've hung onto them.

[ September 15, 2005, 08:28: Message edited by: Celesialraven ]

3. Barachiel Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

You've just discovered the great truth of the Harder Patches. There is NOTHING wrong with the difficulty of any of the Infinity Engine series. The Harder patches exist solely for those who don't want realistic gameplay, they instead want encounters so hard that it requires metagaming, exploits, and "l33t sk1llz" to beat.

Even then, the Sarevok battle on normal is incredibly difficult. The best way to sincerely beat the game with a minimum of "exploiting" is to send your archers and mages carefully up the sides of the room, first fill the center of the room with as many Summoned Monsters as you can to act as a buffer zone, and then have the mages unleash with Fireballs and similar area effect spells. This will unleash Sarevok and his minions. Let the summoned monsters slow down Sarevok and take out the mage and cleric. Angelo and Tazok, while difficult and annoying, are mere distractions. Once the spell-slingers are gone, your summoned monsters should have been laid waste by the unstoppable killing machine.

If you can, summon another wave or two to keep him occupied, while you pepper him with arrows. Don't waste direct damage spells, he has Magic Resistance. When those finally die, send in your heavy hitters loaded with buffs and healing potions and you should be able to take him down. Once Sarevok dies, the encounter ends. If you were cheesy enough, you could kill him and no one else, but typically he's so tough the mage and cleric will rock your world before you can drop their boss, which is why they must die first.

4. NonSequitur Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

You can Magic Missile the hell out of Sarevok if you have multiple mages or bards in the party. I've always just tried to bait Sarevok out and focus on killing him (when the Mage drops in, my invisible, hasted party thief backstabs the sucker). Having some meat shields in the form of summoned critters to distract/delay Sarevok helps, too.

Buff like crazy, summon like mad, bombard the hell out of the guy from a distance and keep blasting him as much as you can. One on one, he'll annihilate just about anyone. He's supposed to; he's f'ing Sarevok, for Pete's sake!

Just for once, though, I'd like a "tougher battles" mod that didn't just aim for game engine abuse or require NPE (negative play experience) tactics. Making something more difficult does not require cheesy stuff on either side.

5. wenchwogg Gems: 3/31

Veteran

I like to disable the traps first, and then lure out his henchmen (I never seem to have to kill Angelo though)

Then have whoever has the Boots of Speed kite Sarevok around the room while he gets pelted with arrows and magic missiles from my krew.

It's really a lot simpler when you kill off Tazok and the other members.

Also: avoid the skull trap.

6. Goli Ironhead Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

My tactics was huge amount of Skeletons and monsters (via wand), and bombard the big S with Magic Missiles until he fell.
    Also, once i placed some, about 5, skeletons to frontal attack. When Angelo shot the explosing arrow, he damaged all his friends also, and they killed him! :D dunno if patch fixes this however.

7. AzathothXy Gems: 3/31

When I did the battle, I lured his minions away one by one. Then when he came to fight I had a wall of summoned monsters between him and my party. I had my mage keep summoning monsters using the wand,and since there was no limit to summons. My fighters waited just in case I ran out of summoned monsters. And then my Archers and slingers killed Sarevok.

8. Western Paladin Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

The summoned monsters are essential because like everyone was talking about, Sarevok will murder just about anyone in single combat. I don't think a tanked-up fighter like Minsc or Ajantis is so good at distracting him because he's programmed to attack the PC whenever possible (but I could be wrong, I haven't fought Sarevok since the last century. I only just got to Sorcerous Sundries in my Tutu campaign).

Edit: I seem to recall that if you target the back of the room with fireballs and cloud spells and suchlike, most of Sarevok's party won't come to attack you - only him, Angelo, and Tazok, or some such (but again, prove me wrong!). I don't like doing things like that, though, because I feel that you were intended to brawl with them.

9. Abdel - Bhaal Spawn Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I like Death Trap spells in BG1. I shot one or two of them close to where Saverok minoins are. I than use my stealth character and backstab Saverok and than slowly maneuver my way out of there. What happens is the Death Traps are set off and with one or two fireballs sent right after the first trap is release most of Saverok minoins fall beneath my feet. Not to mention shooting one or two explosive arrows.

10. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Preperations: Get Summon Monster scrolls and/or a wand, stock up on magical arrows (piercing is good), potions and magical scrolls (MM and Melf's Arrow). Contrary to what others have said, Sarevok *is* vulnerable to Magic Missle and Melf's Acid Arrow!

1) Disable the traps you can.
    2) Summon creatures
    3) Cast protective spells, quaff potions and turn off the AI.
    4) Use the summons between you and Sarevok. The mage (if you get his attention and I can't recall his name) will start off Dispel Magic and Greater Malison.
    5) Shoot Sarevok with magical arrows and have your PC run.
    6) Don't worry about helping your party members. Worry about yourself.

Other strategies are using oils of fiery burning and necklace of missles on the dias. I only every try to take on Sarevok.

11. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

Area spell -> Invis./Stealth

They won't even notice they're getting killed. :evil:

12. Will Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

Ehh, maybe its because I have TOTSC installed and have never played BG without it (I've heard many people say that it kind of overshadows the last battle) but I never had any trouble with big S. I usually send a scout forwards who runs back when the cloudkills, fireballs and webs start flying while everyone else buffs and summons near the entrance. I then aim straight for Sarevok (who is faster than the others and always gets there first, pummelling him with weapons and arrows, saving spells for buffs and holding up the others as I think Sarevok has decent magic resistance. A winning combo is to have a tank (or tanks) and summons move to engage Sarevok directly while someone belts him from the second row with the Staff of Striking (assuming I havent used it up already). Never had any severe problems yet, besides the odd reload when I forgot to do something important. Mind you, sounds like this difficulty+ patch makes him into a bit more of a beast...

13. DarthOne Gems: 3/31

Even summons are no obstacles to him ! Specialy with this damn and acursed patch, which also does very weird things...Sometime when I go to different shops and you right-click on the item to see its description, you only see the image.

And sometime its even worse, you only see the price of the item, and when you click on it the instantly crashes, and returns automaticly to my desktop.

Even MORE weirder, when I beat some important guys/npcs, there are some the items which are kinda invisble when you get to the small grid to pick them 'up they simply the blue background colored square (which mean they are unidentify right?) but as soon as I click on 'em, the same crash as I just describeb happens again !

Maybe I over-used GateKeeper, I don't remember installing other 'add-on' besides this. I tried Fields of the Dead once and it din't even worked !

One question though how do I get Dark Side of the coast ? And for god sake what is this 'tutu' your all talking about ?

Anyhow to return to the original topic, he's just unkillable specialy with 300hp and+. And in melee he's just WAY too fast. And he trust me he hits hard. Dunno what lvl he is, but he does about 18hp of damage TWICE a round.

Even with my incredible hight strenght score(19), AND grand mastery(dunno how I got that, probably another bug) in High-Swords/edge wpns, he's just damn too tough...

Sigh, I think even Aec'Lerk (or whatever the Demon-Knight name was) was less tough then him.

[ September 16, 2005, 01:11: Message edited by: DarthOne ]

14. Hard Blunt Stone of Fury Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Tutu is is like a BG1 that looks like BG2 (i think there are class kits and the half-orc race in it cause I never tried it and I won't try it)

*EDIT* This post has nothing to do with the original topic though >.<

15. DarthOne Gems: 3/31

And where can I get such a thing ? 'Cause its not in any sections on sorcerers.net .

[ September 16, 2005, 03:40: Message edited by: DarthOne ]

16. olimikrig

olimikrig Cavalier of War Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Tutu is located in the BGII section. Here's a link to the mod itself, and here's a link to some tutu enchantments.

Have fun :thumb:

17. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Try here: BGTutu

Olim beat me to it. You might want to try uninstalling the Harder patch if it makes things that difficult. Another option would be to CTRL+Y Sarevok. Can you even do that? :hmm:

18. DarthOne Gems: 3/31

Thanks guys.

19. Winterine Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

You don't kill the mighty Sarevok, he kills YOU, mwahahaha!

Ok, seriously, I usually do a lot of what kuemper said in that list. Disarming traps, buffing, potions, AI off (very important!), summons.

Spells I usually do a dispel in the general direction of the mage-guy (can't remember his name right now), then a greater malison or two until I see it stick on Sarevok, then a few skulls traps and cloudkills, then get my casters to run for cover while my archers and summoned things do their job. I usually don't bother using missile weapons on Sarevok - that armour is good. So I send in a volunteer to help out the summoned monsters, if need be. Then when I judge he's about to topple I wander in and claim the kill, hehe.

[ November 02, 2005, 12:43: Message edited by: Winterine ]

20. DarthOne Gems: 3/31

And how does the AI exactly matters in this whole fight ? I'd like clarifications on this...

As for engaging in melee, thats suicide, I can't hit him, and the when I do(which is very rare mind you) I do little damage even with 19 of strenght.

As for summons, he beats them down in less time that it takes to actualy summons them on the battlefield.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.