1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Saddam Hussein sentenced to death by hanging...

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by Kitrax, Nov 5, 2006.

1. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
  2. Kara Ay Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

While Saddam was a cruel leader,i can think of people who deserve this fate more than him...

3. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

****. The Death Penalty should never be awarded, so no, I'm not really a fan of this decision.

4. Dengo Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Veteran

He got what he deserved. OTOH USA killed more Iraqi civilians than Saddam but I'm too tired and bored of criticizing USA. :geezer:

5. Argohir Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Saddam is not more valuable than most of the civilians killed in Iraq; however, USA can hang the ex-leader of a country and I don't know why they think they have that right. Hope someone hangs Bush one day. Even the dream of being the executioner of Bush makes me happy :D

6. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

I'd rather have a dead Saddam than a live one. If anything it'll show leaders that they can't just 'purge' their own populations into submission without some type of personal concequences.

What else would you do with him? Keep him alive and imprisoned forever till he dies anyway? Might as well save everyone's time. I wonder how much the rope they hang him with will be worth on E-Bay?

7. Trellheim Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Media:
    The fact that US has done bad things doesn't somehow erase Saddam's nasty work, he got what he deserved.

Still, hanging might be bit too vulgar.

8. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    The legality of the court is doubtful. It's a result of a most probably illegal invasion by the USA and it's common knowledge how much influence Americans have had on the court. Not sure about judges, but while you couldn't really take Baathist ones for such a job, it's not like an opposition judge won't face a big challenge staying neutral. Then, it's obvious that the date falls before American elections. What's next is that there have been so many claims that the defandants' human rights have been violated that I really begin to wonder what kind of treatment they have received. Would an independent court in a country still having death penalty pass any different sentence on Saddam? I doubt that. Would a different method of dealing with Saddam work out better? I can't really say. But this is going to make him into a martyr and show a couple of things about the American understanding of justice in international relations.

Let me also point out that there's a number of people who get away with war crimes in the American military and somehow that doesn't offend Dubya's or even the public's sense of justice. Why oh why don't people get hanged for murdering civilians, torturing them, gang raping little girls, holding people locked in sheds for further amusement for long months?

9. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

I don't want to imply for an instant that I think Saddam's just an alright bloke who's getting the short end of the stick...

But bloody hell! How hypocritical are the US?? Really??

They've invaded Iraq, inflicted god knows how many civilian casualties and injuries, not to mention all those incidents which happen in Abu Ghraib and that story I heard about the 14 yr old girl getting gangraped...and yeah....we're the good guys so we'll hang Saddam...cuz we're good right??

Bah!

10. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

To quote Lord of the Rings:

"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."

We (humans) are in no position to be able to decide who lives and dies. To do so is to play as a god - something we already have enough of in this world, without the need for more.

11. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Instead, they kill him and make him a martyr.

12. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    *sigh* So, the US is being hypocritical and hanging Saddam even though it's an Iraqi court's decision? Is it so hard to understand that Iraqi's want the man dead for what he's done to them? I mean many Arabs want people dead for a lot less than what he's done.

Really, some of you need to stop jumping up and yelling "Bad USA!" for every bad thing that happens in the world. I understand you don't like the US, but that doesn't mean every bad thing is directly caused by the US.

EDIT
    Care to back that up? Or is that just another of those biased "I heard" things? From what I understand Saddam killed more than 180,000 Kurds just in the Anfal campaign, while the IBC estimates 50,000 civilian deaths due to the Iraq war. Not that that's something to be proud of, but to say that the US killed more civilians than Saddam is false from what I can gather.

[ November 05, 2006, 19:57: Message edited by: Blackthorne TA ]

13. Kara Ay Gems: 2/31

Well "what USA does is always bad" isn't an opinion people support..."Usa usually does bad things" is what people think and ı'm sorry but only an idiot couldn't see Usa's faults and nearly everbody is sure that they somehow controlled the judge's decision...

14. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Oh, of course they are; in Turkey especially I'm sure that's true. That does not however make it accurate.

15. Kara Ay Gems: 2/31

Well if you read the opinions here,you can see that everybody thinks that...Europe,India....

16. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    How widespread an opinion is doesn't change how accurate it is. All that shows is how unpopular the US is around the world, and how eager people are to believe the worst.

17. Kara Ay Gems: 2/31

Well take no offense but at the rate Us is going,it would be naive to believe that they didn't influence the judge...Sorry but Us president isn't known for his fairness....

18. Dengo Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Veteran

Some kind of. Here are some numbers. 650,000 may be too much but I don't believe in western journalists' numbers (50,000) too. I will never believe anything those "embedded journalists" say.

19. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    LMAO! Sure, sure, I'll take your word for it without any proof, with the only backing for your belief is others' opinions and that the US president isn't know for fairness. :lol:
    Do you know where that estimate came from? Johns Hopkins, which is a US university. It has been deriled as wildly inaccurate due to the process the estimate was made from. I find it very amusing that you're taking a US university's estimate as gospel though :lol:

Now for the other half of the exercise... How may civlian deaths has Saddam caused? As I indicated 180,000 for one campaign, how many others are there?

20. nunsbane

nunsbane

Who really knows how many Iraqis have died as a result of Dubya's war? The estimates range from tens of thousands to over 600,000 civilian deaths. I suppose the estimate of any particular study depends on the agenda of the author. Considering that we should not be there in the first place even 1 civilian death for which we are responsible is too many.

As for Saddam - waste that evil bastard and be done with it.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.