1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Saddam Hussein 'arrested in Iraq'

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Wildfire, Dec 14, 2003.

1. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Soooooooooo.

They've done the DNA comparision? Or what?

2. Dragon's Jewel Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Rotku.... That's EXACTLY what I was trying to say. It's wonderful for the people he terrorized that he's caught, and certainly his punishment should be according to them, but what does this mean for the american people? 4 more years of Dubya! I guarantee that suddenly every person that may have been ambivalent about Bush will have something to wave around saying "See! See! He did exactly what he promised to do!" Which is of course, true, in a very sad way.

3. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

This is a great day for humanity.

BTW, is there a sale on sour grapes in here? :D

4. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Yes, they made DNA tests. No one asked where they got his DNA to compare it with in the first place.

How convenient that Bush has this great opener just now for his re-election campaign... And that a court was set up in Iraq just a week ago where Saddam will be tried. He was dumb enough not to have killed himself on the spot, I'm sure the trial against him will end up with him dead anyway. Not that this would be a loss for humanity, but still.

If I were cynical I'd even say that Bush probably had Saddam tracked for weeks (months?), and only waited till now when his ratings dropped substantially, to lift them with Saddam's head on a pike. But I'd only say this if I were really cynical.

I just hope this doesn't give Bush enough of a boost to get re-elected. That would make me seriously sad.

5. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    What I am confused by is who caught him? The first reports I saw and what was pasted first in this thread talked about Kurdiranians or something while everything I have heard since after this afternoon has been nothing about US troops catching him? Anyone got some more info on that?

As for his trial I actually think it seems like they are on the right track with talking about Saddam being tried by Iraqis. It may be a good first test of their new found freedom and the responsibility towards justice and legality it entails.

BTW, I just the French foreign minister expressing his joy that Saddam is captured. Just because people may have been against the handling of the Iraq situation does not make them pro-Saddam, even if that is the image the people who thinks Dubya is the second best thing to God himself like to paint.

6. Jorgon Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

My understanding of who caught him is that a tip from someone from Tikrit told them about a couple of bunkers(rat holes really), in the area. Spec Ops troops searched them, and found nothing, they kept searching and found some they weren't told about. Saddam was in one of these with two AK's and a pistol, although he gave up. Which goes to prove just how big a coward he is. He had an air vent but it was disguised. They(the soldiers) probably just saw something out of place and BAM they got him.

7. Laches Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

I believe it was the 4th Infantry Division with "Special Forces" according to some of the articles I've read. Whether it really was Special Forces or whether it was Special Ops (which seems more likely to me) I don't know. If we get any pics of the guys in the group you may be able to tell just from the way their hair is cut apparently.

There were about 600 members of the force though. Apparently over the last few weeks they'd been closing in by talking to members of his extended family. I really think you have to buy in to a huge conspiracy theory and or just be blinded by hatred of Bush to think that the US could've caught Hussein earlier and didn't. You don't take the risk of him slipping away or choking on a chicken bone and being buried in an unmarked grave or... if you could catch him - that is entirely too risky.

As far as the Iraqi tribunal, it's been in the works for months apparently:

http://www.csmonitor.com/2003/1001/p06s01-woiq.html

8. Blackhawk Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

[​IMG] @ Taluntain

I think you are going to be very sad...

Saddam's capture destroyed the only issue my fellow Democrats had to attack his leadership. :(

9. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    Tal wrote:
    Just wait until September 11, 2004, when they unveil Osama bin Laden on a platter...Just in time for the election.

10. Aldazar Gems: 24/31

Though I haven't followed the news on this one religiously, IIRC 4th Infantry Division actually were tipped off by one of Saddam's relatives. Mother-in-law? Anyway, it seems to me that Dubya finally did what daddy couldn't do back when he was President because, again IIRC, the way I understand it, Bush Snr declared war on the Middle East when he had the presidency and was aiming to get Saddam back then. So is this the ultimate Christmas Present or what?

11. Sojourner Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Are you suggesting the US should attack France and/or Germany next?

12. Manus Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Truth be told I feared a loose yet seemingly impotent Saddam Hussein far less than I do the prospect of another four year term of Bush in charge. I just hope we do not fall under his maniacal gaze. The commercial -and now military- hegemony of the US administration has hurt me far more than Saddam or Iraq ever did (or I fear ever would have).

13. InquisitorX Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

This is a very sad day. The long term effects of another four years of the Unelected Fraud are a million times worse than having some powerless old man continue living at the bottom of a rat hole.

14. notforyou Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Blackhawk wrote

I hope you mean his leadership literally, and not his presidency. if you are not speaking literally,
    I really hope this opinion does not represent all the democrats in the US. not being a US citizen I can think of several other issues the Bush administration can be confronted about.

15. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I'm really quite disappointed in Saddam. One would expect that he would have been out there organising resistance, rallying those loyal to him, making great schemes to reclaim Iraq, but instead he's hiding in a hole. *sigh*

16. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Even if you didn't meant this as a joke, Blackhawk, it's still too funny not to laugh at. Or, now that I think about it, sad as well. So altogether, comical at the least, and tragi-comical at worst.

Unlike with Bush, the chances of Saddam choking on a pretzel were really not so great.

Bel, I don't think Bush needs Osama any more. Saddam is a much bigger criminal in the eyes of the American public. His image has been drilled into the minds of the Americans as the image of Devil himself for the last 20 years. The fact that he didn't have anything to do with 9/11 is irrelevant; according the the polls the majority of the American public believes he is responsible for it, and that's more than good enough. Who cares about those imaginary stockpiles of WMD these days anyway.

The new-founded Iraqi tribunal is scheduled to put Saddam on trial at the same time with Bush's re-election campaign. What else do you need to win than to have America's REAL public enemy #1 in chains on TV every day? Saddam is going to be in the news regularly for one last time - to fuel Bush's re-election as he's being tried in Iraq. No other dictator of the 20th century had a more pathetic end.

I applaud the US's capture of Saddam. The only problem I have is with all the circumstances regarding it.

[ December 15, 2003, 15:33: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

17. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31

[​IMG] It's great to see that everyone feels that capturing Saddam is a good thing. [snip]
    Or maybe not.

I'll go back to sleep now.

[Offensive remarks against the AoDA rules removed. Go read the sticky on top of the AoDA thread listing.] -Tal

[ December 15, 2003, 14:32: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

18. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Wonder what the charges will be. Especially if they will actually put something along the lines of attacking US in there. Or 9/11. Needless to say, doubts arise as to whether he will have proper defence. Time will show. In my humble opinion, there's a huge chance that they will turn it into a sitcom - a pathetic mock trial lasting until a few months after Dubya's reelection. Or perhaps contrary - a one shot one kill instant trial, you only add water (Saddam)? Who bothers getting evidence if it's so clearly obvious, anyway?

19. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Jorgon, over 200 (IIRC) Spec-Ops were in the operation, do you really think that anyone would dare to attack all of those alone with only two AKs and a pistol. IIRC, the pistol of choise for Saddam is a Glock 18, and that would give him 32 bullets, together with two clips for the AKs, and that is a total of 92 bullets, that would mean that you would have to kill 2.12 soilders with each bullet, and succeed with THAT, and you'll wonder how the Americans won the war at all. :D

20. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31

That didn't stop his sons from fighting back. That's what makes Saddam a coward. He expects everyone, including his sons, to die for the cause. But when his time comes, he gives up without a peep.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.