1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Sad Diablo 2 Story

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Igneous, Apr 19, 2001.

1. Igneous Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

[​IMG] Since some people compare Daiblo 2 and Baldur's Gate 2 here, I will add my story about my own Diablo 2 experiences. (If someone is interested, yeah right.....)

I was ADDICTED to Diablo 2 for more then half a year. Played almost exclusively online with a group of friends. One was the paladin with the party aura's, another was a bow using amazon (bowazon) to support the group etc. I played a sorceress and a Barbarian, they both became around lvl 80 and they were just AWESOME.

After I grew bored about 'Softcore" (you can die, and restart in town with little exp loss), I started to take on hardcore mode. You die, and lose your character FOREVER. If noone is near or able to loot your hard earned stuff, you lose that too. I went through 30 or so chars in the proces all died after a few weeks, and on one time I had a Barbarian using sword and Shield at level 68, representating two and a half months of leveling, avoiding lag spikes, partying up with friends and morons, avoiding backstabbing Pk's (player kilers) and more lag. Oh, and did I mention lag before?

And then the unexpected happened: I helped a friend further through the acts in hell difficulty, and we were battling mephisto and his cronies at the end of act 3 Hell. Then came this 'enormous' lag spike of 20 seconds.... I was moving, but the rest of the environment stopped... The Battle.net server was not recieving any orders from my computer any more!! Pfff, I had 1200 hit points, good armor class and shield, a friend backing up, and one enemy before me, so I didn't push Alt f4 as I normally did in more crowded situations. And then, after those 20 secs, I heard a loud cry and was lying down on the ground. The message about your valor will be remembered and bla bla came in the screen, and I went berserk on my little brother standing beside me :mad: :mad:

It just sucked to die in a situation I had no control over... If you whirlwind in a big might enchanted extra strong crowd without using any tactics or backup, your char will not life long. But this was not a stupid mistake, so I kicked the game in a corner and never touched it again. The D2 boards were flooding with lag deaths and more and more of these messages were appearing with the day. And then blizzard did a christmas commercial to get even more players to flood the servers!!

All I did, was buying Planescape Torment and Baldur's Gate 2 to overcome my sorrows about this stupid D2 addiction (which costed me another year on highschool too...) And now I will always defend Bg 2 as RPG of the year, because D2 is nowwhere near it on the RPG scale. D2 = hack and slash, Bg2 = RPG of the year.

Igneous out...

2. Rakanishu Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

[​IMG] You bought BG2 and PST and yet you voted for BG2? My guess is that you did not play Planescape: Torment yet.

Check PST out. If you think the NPCs in BG2 are good, wait till you see the NPCs (and your namesake) in PST. :)

3. Igneous Gems: 6/31

Actually, I played Planescape before I ever touched Bg 2. The dialogue was great, the characters were very original (In some walkthroughs Ignus is the most inpopular NPC, can't imagine....) and I really enjoyed the game in all its aspects. Only I missed a thing in the combat situations, a little depth. Planescape is more dialogue orientated then Bg 2 I discovered later, and somehow I just preferred Bg 2 over planescape after playing Bg 2 a while. But after I'm done with my solo Fighter / Mage / Thief without exp cap ( :D ) I gonna replay Planescape to experience it all again.

To combine all the mumbo jumbo above: Bg 2 is a great game and Planescape comes closely behind it...

P.S. I also encountered a few posts when I was searching these boards that were almost all in favour of Planescape as the best of the two. Is this still the case? What are your opnions on both games in comparison?

P.P.S. nice quote btw ;)

[This message has been edited by Igneous (edited April 19, 2001).]

4. Dragonsnake Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Veteran

If U R addicted to D2 it is easily understandable why U like better BG. It is more adventuring type.
    For me P:T is the ultimate RPG. As for D2, I started the game, went to the second zone, and quit. Never even finished it. Too mush slashing for nothing, no talking, why it is RPG and not adventure I never understand.
    I deeply sorry for Ur loss, but U discover better games, so...Have fun.

5. Gormenghast Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

s*it happens

6. Mollusken Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

You're just sick. Two characters on level 80? A level 68 hardcore? You're sick!

7. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Gormenghast: Shit happens. And when it does, it happens to me (I love Fallout)

8. Mollusken Gems: 24/31

[​IMG] But Diablo 2 gets one addicted. I bought more RAM mainly for less lagging (at least on single player) in Diablo 2.

9. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

[​IMG] Ig, you're worse than me ;)
    level 80... GeeZus H. Christ! I only played until level 33!! I died on Nightmare so often that I thought I was gonna recieve a 3 level reduction! ARRGH! But that's not the stupidest thing I did... yours was out of your hands, because of that computer prob. but mine...
    My first time playing, I made it all the way to the Arcane Sanctuary without dying... I died, and my body was swarmed. You all know how hard it is to evade enemies with those narrow stairways, well I couldn't get to my stuff... so <choke> I... I deleted my character in a frenzy of anger! The next day... I tell a friend, and he tells me... THAT I COULDA SAVED AND EXITED! Damn...
    It's not even pathetic anymore... It's SAD

10. Viking Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] My sad story about D2, I still haven't finished the first chapter. Keep getting killed by whatever her name is at the bottom of the crypts. Might have to do some leveling before I take her on again. Either that or take it on as a barbarian or something similar. Been relying too much on spells not enough on cold steel. :D

I still find the game play of D1 better. That was a hack & slash and then some

Havent played for 6 months + tho', took on IWD instead. Great fun was had by all. Now campaigning on BG2, so D2 will probably not be resurected for about a year...

11. Mollusken Gems: 24/31

[​IMG] You can't kill Andariel? *LOL!*

And magics are great, barbarian sucks. I have a level 30 sorceress specialized on cold magic only. She rocks!

12. Igneous Gems: 6/31

[​IMG] Playing multi player to lvl 80 was only possible, because I was playing with such nice people, just like most of them on this forum, they were mature and funny. For example, if we found a kick ass rare, we just watched who needed it most and gave it to that team member. We were power gamers, avoiding to difficult fights and stay alive to avoid serieus exp loss. But it lost his charme to be invincible, only the hell chaos sanctuary and Big D himself gave sufficent exp and challenge, so I went on to hardcore, to find more mature players and a not so fucked up economy (hey, people die and lose there stuff so now and then :D )

If you are on multiplayer hardcore normal difficulty, you encounter a lot of egocentric bastards who will spoil your gaming fun by killing your hard earned char with a lvl 40+. But as soon as you come in hell difficulty, you'll meat a lot of very nice people. There were some guys with 80+ HARDCORE chars who were keeping eachother alive and had the luck not to die by that damn server. But some three or four months after the game release, they all dropped like flies because of server errors and the top hardcore list was cleaned out almost entirely. After that we heard it was a hacker attack on the servers. the high level chars that survived, only played on night with there main char from that time on ( few of them had all 5 character classes above 60/70, that are the sick guys, not me, with just one lvl 68 Barbie, the easiest char to play. I was not that good and had not the time to play THAT much.)

On the Europe server, there was a guy with a lvl 88 hardcore necromancer that sold his char on E-bay for about 1200 Deutsche Mark (say 600$) The sucker that bought this char died a few weeks later. I was ROTFLMAO when I heard that, that was a good example of a real sick guy.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.