1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

SA vs NZ

Discussion in 'Colosseum' started by Barmy Army, Oct 30, 2005.

1. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    (I thought I'd create a thread for this.)
    Before this match started, I thought it would be 2 very even sides having a go at each other and make for very close games. SA are well on their way to beating New Zealands total here though. I think we're seeing the reason why NZ aren't much of a force anymore; their bowling attack is Danny Vettori plus 3 or 4 dibby dobby medium pacers who don't bowl aggressively enough.

Did anyone see Flemings dismissal though, that's just unlucky :lol: . And AB De Villiers hit a ball straight out of the ground, it was massive.

Bloody hell, they've made heavy weather of this. They were going well around 160-3 now 205-6. Need 39 from 24 balls and they're still nurdling singles; they need boundaries.

And that's it, Kemp sees them home with just 4 balls to spare. It was closer than it looked like being, good finish.

[ October 30, 2005, 16:44: Message edited by: Barmy Army ]

2. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

NZ has a TERRIBLE record playing in South Africa. Not sure what it is, but we have some sort of mental block when we play over there, even worse than touring the subcontinent. It's been very frustrating watching this series so far. But, mostly I agree with Barmy, the NZ team is certainly not a very good one at the moment. We could do with one more good bowler and at least one batsman who can be good more than one game in a row.

3. Barmy Army

Media:
    I think everyone struggles in South Africa, I'm not sure why it is. Englands win there was our first series win in South Africa for over 40 years.
    It was a good game anyway, I enjoyed watching it. That's the good thing about ODI's they can end really close.

4. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Yeah, we could have won all three games if we'd held the odd catch or had a wee bit more luck. But we're seriously missing one or two world class players. Our most consistent player this series has been Scott Styris and he's a journeyman at best. I hope we can win at least one game in this series. The boys' confidence will be pretty low at the moment.

5. Barmy Army

Media:
    The thing that is most noticable about the New Zealand team is that pretty much every player is 'ok', but none are brilliant. I mean, Shane Bond made a fantastic start to his cricket career but even he has gone off the boil. They have a few good batsmen, but no-one who averages 40-50. No blistering pace man like Lee, Harmison, Ntini et al. Basically just a team of ok players.
    Any given day those players could have a blinder and beat good teams, but they don't have enough consistently good performers. You get the feeling though, that with (like you say) a seriously fast, aggressive bowler and a star batsman who can average 45+ then all the rest will fall into place. Two or three players away from being a top class side pretty much sums it up.

6. Harbourboy

OK then, what would be your best 11 NZ players from the era you have been watching cricket? It would be interesting to see if we have EVER had more than one or two world class players in recent years, or whether we've always been a bunch of 'OK' players.

7. Barmy Army

Media:
    Whilst I've been watching this era? Or that I know of? Hmm... I think I'd struggle to name an 11 from my era to be honest but I'll have a go...

Chris Cairns
    Daniel Vettori
    Shane Bond (purely because of his potential)
    Stephen Fleming (the captain, of course)
    Richard Hadlee (well before my time, but I just had to :lol: )
    Martin Crowe
    Mark Richardson (why did he retire so early?)
    Adam Parore (one of the best pure keepers I have seen, shame he sucked a bit with the bat)
    Nathan Astle
    Danny Morrison
    Jacob Oram (because I can't think of anyone else :lol: )

8. Barmy Army

Media:
    So what would yours be? And your England 11 whilst you've been watching cricket...

9. Harbourboy

My top NZ and England Xis since 1982 are:

New Zealand

1. John Wright
    2. Bruce Edgar
    3. Andrew Jones
    4. Martin Crowe
    5. Stephen Fleming (capt)
    6. Chris Cairns
    7. Ian Smith (wk)
    8. Sir Richard Hadlee
    9. Daniel Vettori
    10. Shane Bond
    11. Ewen Chatfield
    Twelfth Man: Nathan Astle

Really only two “world class” players in that line-up which provides a bit of an indication of where NZ cricket is usually at. Note that we have clearly not had a consistently useful opening partnership for most of the last 20 years!

England

1. Graeme Gooch
    2. Michael Atherton (capt)
    3. David Gower
    4. Graham Thorpe
    5. Alec Stewart
    6. Andrew Flintoff
    7. Ian Botham
    8. Bob Taylor (wk)
    9. Darren Gough
    10. Steve Harmison
    11. Bob Willis
    Twelfth Man: John Emburey

Now this team does look awesome. The only issue I have with it is that I can’t find any great spinners from this period. If I it’s a turning track, you might be in trouble.

10. DarkStrider

DarkStrider I've seen the future and it has seen me Distinguished Member

I'd make three changes to the England side HB Vaughan for Atherton and the captaincy and Jack Russell for me at wk. and instead of Gough I would put Simon Jones in.

EDIT: Engalnd haven't had a good slow bowler since Derek Underwood.

11. Barmy Army

Media:
    England desperately need a new Jim Laker!

I'll do my top England 11 when I can be bothered. Bit tired at minute, another beer sounds better.

And HB, I can't believe you've been watching cricket since before I was born, you fogey!

Ok, I'll do it now because I'm bored :) . Best England side of the last 20 years is IMO...

Graham Gooch
    Mike Atherton
    Alec Stewart (wkt)
    Graham Thorpe
    David Gower
    Ian Botham
    Freddy Flintoff
    Dazzler Gough
    John Emburey
    Angus Fraser
    Steve Harmison

Suweet, beat that :) .

[ October 31, 2005, 23:46: Message edited by: Barmy Army ]

12. NonSequitur Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Heh... I'd try to make an Aussie XI from the last 20 years, but geez, I'd have a hell of a time cutting it down to just eleven. I'd just be sure to include David Boon. All hail King Boonie!

13. Harbourboy

Bah, another loss for NZ in SA coming up. We can never win in that country.

14. Barmy Army

Media:
    I think the only country you could win in at the minute is Zimbabwe :D :lol: . Maybe Bangladesh as well if you pulled your socks up :thumb: .

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.