1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Rugby World Cup

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Tassadar, Nov 5, 2003.

1. Tassadar Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

any of you following the RWC?

it's quarter finals time and we've got
    new zealand vs south africa
    england vs wales
    australia vs scotland
    france vs ireland

predictions?

2. Hacken Slash

Hacken Slash OK... can you see me now?

When does the American team play? :D

I'll make predictions, although I know nothing about rugby, just to see how I do...

New Zealand vs. South Africa...South Africa, that LOTR magic just won't hold up on the field

England vs. Wales...England stomped Wales in 1270 and it will be no different this time around

Australia vs Scotland...One of the most hotly contested battles, but the nod goes to Scotland when it is revealed that they're wearing no underwear.

Ireland vs. France...France wins in a forfeit as the Irish break down and begin fighting with each other.

There you have it, rugby predictions from someone who knows NOTHING about rugby, except that a scrum is a warm place to be.

3. Tassadar Gems: 23/31

Veteran

first 2 results out

all blacks (NZ) crushed south africa 29-9
    australia too good for the scots 33-16

0 out of 2 for hacken slash so far :)

i am sure england and france will win their respective matches though

4. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Hmph! Ridiculing one of the great sporting occasions Hacken Slash?!

I think South Africa had a respectable game but New Zealand seem to be coming good at just the right time.

England should beat Wales but we will be pushed well by a team that had New Zealand under the cosh. I just hope England find some kind of form as we are without doubt the best team in this World Cup, we haven't got started yet at all.

And Ireland will be no pushover at all for France. They are a very spirited team and you can always rely on them to give 110%, especially on the big occassions.

As for whos going to win the whole thing... If I was putting my mortgage on it, it would have to be New Zealand :( because they are on home turf and judging by the extremely dubious forward pass decisions against Wales it looks like the referees seem abit pressured to give decisions thir way. Thinking with my heart though... ENGLAND WILL BRING IT HOME!!!! :D

5. Baezlebub Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Australia thrashed scotland, and I WAS THERE!!!!
    New Zealand were going to beat South Africa, although if they hadn't it would have meant an Australian South African Semi.
    England over wales. England are a good team.
    France over Ireland. France have been going well and they made the finals in '99.

Semi's: (prediction)
    Australia over New Zealand
    England over France

6. Tassadar Gems: 23/31

Veteran

wales deserved to win, outscored england 3 tries to 1 - but composure and flawless goalkicking was always going to give england victory

7. Barmy Army

Media:
    I don't know whether Wales deserved to win or not. Was a close one. But England are really seriously gonna have to raise their game against France, otherwise I can see a cricket score. The lads can do it, we can beat anyone in the World Cup, we just need to get in to form.

But on subject... I seriously don't know what we'd do without Jonny Wilko :p

8. Baezlebub Gems: 18/31

France thrashed Ireland by about 40 points. Should make for interesting semis.

The whole cup was predetermined to this stage from the beginning. Now it gets interesting.

9. Tassadar Gems: 23/31

Veteran

semifinal predictions -->

NZL vs AUS
    new zealand, by a useful margin

ENG vs FRA
    france by a few points

NZL vs FRA final (although i'm sure we'd much rather play the more predictable english)
    NZL scrape home despite missing crucial kicks at goal

10. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Come on Baezlebub, you know we're going to bet you. Just let it all out and you'll feel so much better. Maybe even start supporting New Zealand and that way when we do beat you you can say that you supported us the whole time :D

I agree with Tassadar's predictions.

New Zealand should beat the Aussies by a fair margin, judging by the way the two teams have been playing resently.

Frace, hopefully, should beat England although it will be a really close game.

If France does get through to the finals I'd think that we'd have a fairly challenging game, although should come out on top.. just.

11. Baezlebub Gems: 18/31

England will win on Wilkonson's boot. They always do. Australia will win, Eddie Jones will eventually pull his foot out and choose a decent team.

Aus vs Eng Final.

12. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

England's only advantage is their kickers. Other than that they are a pretty standard team. France on the other hand... I would really have no idea so I'm going to assume they are great. Never under estimate your enemy.

13. Shell

Shell Awww, come and give me a big hug!

Media:
    England v Wales- was there ever any contest? :rolleyes:

We have a suspicion that the welsh manager put sheep at the opposing team's line, so that the welsh would run to them and score ;)

14. Viking Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

England's only advantage is JW? Not on your nellie!

I'd like to remind our antipodian friends how they were beaten at home only a few months ago.

Agreed England haven't played particularly well yet, though I will say Wales have found something in the last two games which has been missing from their game for the last few years. I hope they can hold onto it.

[EDIT] For our North American friends, both USA and Canada took part, but I suppose you missed it? Games were at about 4 in the morning your way. [EDIT}
    France should have been a formality going by how good England have been over the last year, but France have found good form and will take some beating. I still think England will win.

NZ will spank Australian botty I'm afraid. I've seen nothing from the Aussies in this world cup, tbh nothing really in the last year to make me think otherwise. From what I've seen so far, NZ are about a week better than Australia at the moment.

So England v NZ final for me.

Anyones game that I have to say. Heart says England, head says NZ. We will see.

15. Barmy Army

Media:
    Englands only advantage in our kicker? ROFL!

What a load of old bollox, lol. England have probably the best forward line in the world. Mixed with 2 of the very best wingers going and sheer squad depth, i'm sorry but we are the best team at this world cup, as our results this year have shown :D

Our only problem is lack of form and being unused to playing in the hot climate imo.

Jonny isn't even the Cups highest scorer (Frances kicker currently holding that title).

I agree with Viking tho :) England beat France (as we always do.. and enjoy it) New Zealand beat Aussie... NZ vs ENG final... Winner? Heart says England. Brain says NZ (bah! biased refs! ;) ).

16. Dalveen

Dalveen Rimmer gone Bald Veteran

Media:
    nah England wont win, they will go out to France, and NZ will win v aussies in semi and France in final, head says NZ, heart says Scotland, but hey my hearts never right ;)

17. Barmy Army

Media:
    Care to give reasons why you think England will lose Dalveen? Or is that the silly natural Scottish hatred of the English coming through? ;)

Go back to your curling, roflmfao.. pmsl!!!

18. Dalveen

Dalveen Rimmer gone Bald Veteran

Media:
    yep its that deep hatred of anything english thats sown into every scotsman, hey curling rules, just cos were better at it then u, also this topic wouldnt exist if not for scotland, cos we invented rugby, and football

19. Barmy Army

Media:
    LoL What you on about? Scots invented Rugby and Football? Thats complete news to me.

And btw, before you go on the seroous defensive, you incited this bile. ;)

20. Hacken Slash

Hacken Slash OK... can you see me now?

I have been humbled by my inability to pick rugby matches. I want you all to know that I have resolved to turn off the NFL, and learn more about this sport that the entire world plays. Feel free to teach me more. (I still do not accept soccer, however, as the "world" sport...sorry Morningstar..."football") I am open to learn, however.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.