1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

RPGs

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Telk Tokowar, Mar 15, 2006.

1. Telk Tokowar Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I am pretty new to the RPG computer games. I have played D&D since I was like 10. But my experience with computer RPGs is limited. I would like to broaden my horizon. I was wondering what everybody thinks is the best computer RPG and why? BTW my experience so far is IWD, IWD2, and BG2. I haven't had time to finish any of them.

2. Sparhawk the Pandion Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

There are far too many good ones to list.

Fallout 1 + 2, Planescape:Torment and other Infinity Engine (IWD, BG series) are my standard recommendations. Also worthwhile are the Knights of the Old Republic games and Neverwinter Nights.

3. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

same recommendations. PS: T, Fallout and KotOR.

if you included the Ps/PS2, check out the Final Fantasy games. FFVII and FFX are the best imo.

4. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Morrowind is another standard recommendation, and the upcoming Oblivion (sequel) will probably be another.

5. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

BG1! BG1! BG1! If you haven't played it yet, you absolutely must; it's the best one out of all four BG & IWD games. (PS:T is on another level.)

6. Alavin

Alavin If I wanted your view, I'd read your entrails Veteran

If you like FPRPGs, there's Arx Fatalis, Deus Ex and Boiling Point which are all good fun. There's also Arcanum, Beyond Divinity and X2: The Threat (stretching the RPG line a little, but that's how I'd consider it) which are all good fun.

7. Ilmater's Suffering Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Exile III (Can't remember if III was "Escape from the Pit" or if the first one was). I learned to hate rakshasas from this game, they ate magic and summoned daemons faster then you could say "Lame, I'm dead again".

Ah, the glorious days of 2D, turn based RPGs. Really makes me miss the days of epic quests, epic stories and the ability to free roam. Also when game designers created monsters that where never meant to be killed or events that instantly killed you (like attacking the Archmage Erica within her tower, in which she instantly turns you "Ultra-Crispy").

Guaranteed the epic summoning wars between your mages and high level mages sometimes got incredibly lame (specifically when those summoned monsters included many, many basilisks), but the non-trial and error puzzles are rather vitage.

8. nior Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

For non-D&D, you might want to check out Silent Storm and it's expansion Silent Storm:Sentinels. They are turn-base 3-D RPG set during WWII and post WWII.

9. Sparhawk the Pandion Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

For that matter, Jagged Alliance 1 and 2 are excellent turned-based RPG style tactics games.

10. Alavin

Alavin If I wanted your view, I'd read your entrails Veteran

Another brilliant FPRPG (and I can't believe I forgot it) is Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines.

11. nior Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

If you enjoy senseless killing... Diablo series. Well, actually the first Diablo was quite good.

12. Greystar Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I'm surprised that no one mentioned Gothic, a 1st person RPG, it's like Morrowind in many aspects, but has an alive world and is much harder. And be sure to read the manual throughout (or one of the guide at gamefaqs.com), or you will find the controller very frustrating, which is the game's only significant weak point IMO (I only got into it after uninstalling/reinstalling several times).

13. LeFleur Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Yep, Gothic and GothicII are quality games, the best I ever played after BG series. if you can ever get your hands on the Gothic games DO IT! so much unique atmophere! shame it's so hard to get and that the controls take some time to get used to.

14. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Get Neverwinter Nights. Perhaps the Diamond Edition if it's in shops where you live. Morrowind is great, like Tal says, and it should be easily available with both expansions for an agreeable price by now. The Might & Magic series is good but it's vintage, so only if you like. Same for Fallout 1 and 2.

15. Dalveen

Dalveen Rimmer gone Bald Veteran

Media:
    No one mentioned System Shock 1 and 2? brilliant games with a good RPG element.

16. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

I've got it. Easily better than Morrowind. I can heartily recommend that one. If your PC can handle it, that is. The system requirements are pretty steep.

17. Daie d'Malkin

Daie d'Malkin Shoulda gone to Specsavers

Get some Final Fantasy for your computer. I recommend FF7 and FF8. Actually, the playstation FF8 is better than the computer one (cos it has orchestral rather than MIDI music), but the rpgs are beyond compare, and I dare anyone to argue :)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.