1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Rove, again

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by khaavern, May 18, 2006.

1. khaavern Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Rumour is that Rove is going to be indicted soon. dailykos Any thoughts? (about the chances of this happening, the Dems's fixation on Rove, whatever :) )

2. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Well, the indictment has been a long time coming. Ever since the news broke, people knew that this went a whole lot higher up than what was initially reported. I'd say the chance of this happening is 100%. I'm not surprised that it took as long as it did to get to Rove though. Of additional interest is that Rove's attorney is also a subject in the investigation. Rove may need to get a new attorney - if both Rove and his attorney are going to be charged with the same misdeeds, it suggests a potential conflict of interest.

The list just keeps on growing. We now have Frist, DeLay, Abramoff, and now Rove. I don't think Cheney is out of the woods yet though, although Fitzgerald may have to dodge buckshot coming at his face if he goes after Cheney.

3. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Hang on, who are you talking about? Rove is being indicted? The talk show guy? I always thought he was quite funny and the way he pokes fun at his guests is usually pretty harmless.

4. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    The fixation runs in both directions. BTW, Rove is the only political advisor to have his office in the White House. He is a political advisor who has a strong hand in shaping public policy. He has often commented that as a political hack, George Bush is his "dream find." Rove is a sharp-minded, cunning and skillful dark shadow - really shaping the decisions behind the bumbling American-would-be-king. The case of Valerie Plame illustrates the "dark hand behind the scenes" approach which Rove enjoys so well. I hope he gets everything he has coming to him.

5. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    HB - are you for real? Rove a talk show host?!? I seriously hope you're being sarcastic, with tongue firmly planted in cheek. He's been called the central nervous system of the Bush administration. As CtR correctly points out, he is a major influence on both policy and decision making in the Bush administration. In fact, he may be more in control of many of the decisions that have been made over the years than Bush himslef. Bush is the puppet, and Rove is controlling the strings.

Still...this ebony bird is beguiling my sad fancy into smiling.

6. khaavern Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

I should emphasize that this seems to be only a rumour so far. Actually, I read something about Rove being told that he'll be indicted last Saturday, but there was no confirmation so far. Now I see that there is more speculation... so maybe there is something to this... or maybe some people are just daydreaming :) .

Yeah, HB, where have you been living these years :) ? Karl Rove is Bush's top political consultant... widely acknowledged as the main architect of Bush's win of the last two presidential elections. Are you confusing him with Colbert ? John Stewart?

7. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

The only Rove I have ever heard of is this guy: http://rovelive.com/

He's on primetime TV here in NZ (and also, I assume, Australia). And I just checked Google and this Rove was the top of the hitlist (not sure if that is a regional thing or not)

8. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Obviously we haven't been living in America. I was on the same line of thought as HB on this. We have a person who runs a talkshow called Rove in Australia and New Zealand. He's pretty much a David Letterman(men?) on the Antipods.

This is the first I've heard of Rove for the Bush Administration. I couldn't tell you the person who holds the same or a similar position even in the New Zealand government.

9. Harbourboy

Rove is hilarious. I loved his Sierra Leone Institute of Sport crisis and his implication of Europe's Joey Tempest in the disappearance of those athletes.

10. NonSequitur Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Sorry to all the US folks, but there is more than one Rove in the world. He's a fairly big name in Australian comedy, although I didn't realise he was big in NZ too. Then again, I think my reaction to that Rove being discuss in AoLS would probably be "What the... ?"

As for KARL Rove... I think he's managed to dig his own grave over the past few years. From what I know (which isn't much), he's a manipulator, through and through, and one of the chief architects of Dubya's rise to the presidency. Based on that, he can expect about as much public sympathy as a cane toad in Queensland. The problem with being the shadowy guy in the background is that sooner or later, you're going to get dragged out into the light. When that happens, you'd better not have your fingerprints all over the sorts of stuff Karl Rove did - whatever your reasons - because you're gonna get crucified.

Personally, I don't think it could happen to a nicer guy... anyone whose livelihood revolves as much around manipulation of the public as Rove's is hard to feel sorry for.

I still think his send-up of the super-extended-collector's-box set of the Lord Of The Rings trilogy was his best work. It was him and Peter Helliar made up as Frodo and Sam standing about half a foot apart facing in different directions, alternately calling out "Mister Frodo!" and "Mister Sam!" for about a full minute - with nothing else happening. Great stuff.

11. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    HB, Abom, NS:

I have never heard of this other Rove person you speak of. I give my sincere apologies, because if he holds a similar job as someone like Jay Leno or Dave Letterman, then he is quite popular in NZ and Australia. While I certainly can't speak for everyone in the U.S., my initial reaction is the vast majority of people in the U.S. would never have heard of him either.

As I have never heard of Rove the comedian, when HB asked about Rove having a talk show, I was incredulous. Someone as secretive as Rove would never talk on some type of open media like TV or radio. He doesn't really even talk to the press, never mind offering public discourse. So again, my apologies HB - I really thought your comment was about Karl Rove.

12. Bion Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Rove... was he the guy that played Crocodile Dundee? /tries to think of other famous Aussie comedians... :hmm: :shake:

[The US] Rove could be indicted or not... as could Cheney. But the funny thing is how many things are going wrong for the Bush Administration atm. Even if the Fitzgerald investigation stops with Libby, there are still plenty of other investigations, no?

13. Ilmater's Suffering Gems: 21/31

Best part of this whole thing is an adminstration (possibly) performing illegal acts gets almost no press coverage for this aspect and there isn't a controversy raging across the nation... however then a certain past president cheats on his wife (a legal act mind you)...

14. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    No, what was illegal with that "past president" is lying under oath.

15. Ilmater's Suffering Gems: 21/31

But the lying under oath can from coming under what essentially legal prosecution for adultry.

As a sitting president he should have never been in a situation where he testifying under oath, unless Congress felt is actions where endangering the nation and it was part of an impeachment hearing. He's legally protected until he ends his term.

16. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    And you think scandal involving the president does not endanger the nation? Blackmail is only one of the possible entanglements that could come from such a thing.

Oh, and not to mention that the investigation was into sexual harassment charges... which are illegal.

But this is off topic for this particular thread.

17. Drew

Drew Arrogant, contemptible, and obnoxious Adored Veteran

Media:
    Which is why Clinton was technically innocent of perjury, since his lie had absolutely nothing to do with that particular case. He lied under oath, but you actually have to lie under oath about something pertaining to the case to commit perjury.

18. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    Ah. So you imagine that having sex with a White House intern while he was president has nothing to do with a case about sexual harassment of another woman working for the Arkansas government while he was governor.

19. Drew

Drew Arrogant, contemptible, and obnoxious Adored Veteran

Media:
    Who I choose to have sex with, whether or not it is adulterous, and whether or not I work with her has no bearing on whether or not I sexually harassed someone else. Clinton's relationship with Lewinski has nothing to do with Clinton's alleged sexual harassment of Jennifer Flowers & Paula Jones.

[ May 19, 2006, 21:41: Message edited by: Drew ]

20. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Don't you mean either Gennifer Flowers or Paula Jones? Linda Tripp was the harpy who sold out Monica for personal gain. And franky speaking - not that Bill's taste in women was ever the best, but he DEFINITELY could do better than Linda Tripp. Have you seen her? It's a MAN, baby! :D

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.