1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Rome 2 is announced!

Discussion in 'Total War Series' started by Marceror, Jul 8, 2012.

1. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2012
  2. Darion

Darion Resident Dissident Veteran BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Great stuff.

Now that Shogun and Rome ( soon ) are updated to next gen, i can live happy.

3. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I don't know I have been playing a lot of the first Rome lately and gosh darn it if it still aint better than both Empire and Shogun 2. Those two have no re-playability. I hope it just is because I have little historical interest in those two periods but I wonder. I have played countless hours of Rome and M2 but only a game or two of Empire and Shogun 2. Was really bored this spring and started a Rome game, ended up with playing three major campaigns and spent more time now on this revisit of the game than I think I did on Empire and S2 combined. That must mean something. :s

Watched the trailers and it did not look good. The combat looked horrible. I will probably buy but I almost hope that I will end up postponing due to a shoddy computer. Listening to the commentary and it also sounds horrible. Dumbing stuff down. Damn, and why are they so focused on naval battles recently? It is not interesting. I sure hope they at least will have all the varied factions from the original Rome.

4. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    The second trailer is a mod for a previous Total war game, it would be a complete farce otherwise.

5. Darion

Darion Resident Dissident Veteran BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    ^ What he said.

I'm sure Rome 2 will be awesome.
    Not to mention if the RomeTotalRealism Team decides one day to make a RTR for Rome2 too!

6. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Okay, I removed the second trailer. I thought that I was looking at a really bad pre-alpha or something. But it was actually a pretty impressive update for Rome 1 (considering what Rome 1 normally looks like).

@Joa
    One of the commentary videos stressed that there will be a huge emphasis on creating a lot of diverse factions and cultures to represent the time frame, so I believe that you will indeed have that diversity that you've been lacking since, really, Medieval 2.

IIRC, one of the devs mentioned that Rome 2's budget will be 40% larger than any Total War game to date, so that would imply that they will actually have the resources to create a huge, culturally diverse game. It sounds like they're trying to make the mother of all Total Wars.

As for not liking naval battles, to each his own I guess. I very much enjoy them, and am intrigued that I will be able to unload soldiers from boats to dry land during a real time battle in Rome 2. Talk about a new layer of immersion and lots of new tactical possibilities.

7. Darion

Media:
    For those disliking Naval warfare, there will still be the auto-resolve button! ;)

8. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    What does that trailer have to do with the game? I thought I was looking at some kind of trailer for a bad series or very bad movie and then it turns out to be for a game...

The commentaries don't give me much more hope, but as always we'll just have to see how it turns out. I won't be holding my breath, though.

9. Marceror

Media:
    It's too early for CA to release actual gameplay footage, so this trailer is meant to set the mood for the game and get people excited about going back to Rome (well, everyone except for henkie). :p

10. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    If they want to make me interested in the game, show me something of the game itself.

Plus, the trailer seems to suggest diplomacy and assassinations, whereas I recall one of the commentaries mentioned something about reducing the micro-management on the world map, which for me is mostly the management of spies and assassins. Seems contradictory to me.

11. Marceror

Media:
    [​IMG]
    I'm sure they will... when they have a game to show you. ;)

You might be overthinking this just a tad! :p

I sincerely doubt that they are going to remove diplomacy and espionage from the game, as these are well-loved and important features of the Total War series, and certainly appropriate for the setting of this game. I believe the "reduced micromanagement" comment was more in relation to setting taxes, managing build queues for your settlements etc. So, I don't agree, at all, that this video represents some sort of contradiction on the part of the Creative Assembly. More than anything... it's just a video to get you in the mood for Rome 2 Total War, a placeholder until the game is developed sufficiently to the point that actual gameplay footage can be shared. Don’t look for much more than that here, as I don’t think you will find it.

As a side note, is pessimism a career choice for you, or is it something that you are just naturally gifted at? :D

12. henkie

Media:
    I wonder what the marketing thought behind it is. If they've got nothing to show us yet, why bother to make a trailer when by the time the next trailer comes out we'll have forgotten all about it anyway?

Probably - it was just an errant thought anyway. But if they do reduce the micro-management and don't mean the spies and stuff, it means that they apparently intend to reduce the setting of taxes and building order, as you say. And that is - for me - the least tedious part of the micro-management on the world map. I like being able to determine the build order for myself, to prioritise certain buildingtypes in a settlement over others, depending on the current tactical situation.

Let's say my natural cynicism has been enhanced by a lifetime of experience.
    I do sometimes wonder if I'm not becoming too cynical, but then something happens that proves me absolutely right.

13. Marceror

Media:
    I found some jaw dropping early images of Rome 2. Here's a nice one of an up close city brawl!

[​IMG]

Here's a link with some more eye candy.

Now to clean the drool off my desk!

14. Darion

Media:
    Here the Gameplay Trailer:

Seem to, like there will be more drool...:D

Will need better Rig to run this maxed! :/

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2015
  15. Darion

Media:
    Total War: Rome II - Battle of Carthage Gameplay Footage

Nice, nice!

PS. Yay for my first ever successful embedding! :D

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2015
    Taluntain likes this.
  16. Marceror

Media:
    This looks absolutely great Darion. I really dig how navies, armies and cities can be brought together on a single battlefield! Elephants too! Carthage is massive, and looks amazing.

I appreciate you sharing.

17. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Looks great but I'll probably be skipping it. There's such a lot of world to see... and so little life.

18. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Out tomorrow... pre-ordered and pre-loaded on Steam. My body is ready.

19. Marceror

Media:
    Same here. If only I had more free time....

20. Marceror

Media:
    It took me a few days to actually find more than 5 - 10 minutes to play this, but now that I have a few hours under my belt I must say this is a pretty amazing entry into the TotalWar series. And really, probably the best title in the series due not only to the numerous advances over previous titles, but the large amount of replayability (which was somewhat limited in the previous title, Shogun 2, due to different Japanese factions all playing out in a very similar manner, with almost identical armies.

I'm playing as Rome, the Junia family specifically, and now fully control the provinces of Italia, Magna Graecia, and Corsica et Sardinia. I have also taken the mighty capital of Africa, Carthago, from the Carthaginians, and will focus on taking the rest of the Africa province as I can.

The region/province/settlement concept is really interesting, though it has taken some getting used to. I'm largely building Italia as my military center and other areas are focused a bit more on industry and agriculture.

I particularly love the now fully combined naval and army battles. It's awesome that I can actually disembark my admiral and the men of his fleet onto land during battles when they aren't needed on the water, or conversely, how my land units can fight at sea in their transport ships. This is a major win for the game, and for the series overall!

A few technical glitches here and there, but overall the game has been pretty stable for me. With weekly patches planned, it should only get even better. There is plenty more that is great about it, but don't have time to jot it all down. :)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.