1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Romances? & Thieving suggestions :)

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by TelexStar, May 2, 2001.

1. TelexStar Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

[​IMG] I'm in irenicus' dungeon and i'm not intending on keeping that bitching, backstabbing bastard! (yes! i'm taking about Yoshimo) when i get out. Can anyone recommend another good theif?

also, how do i start off the romances? i never noticed them the first time round.

Telex

2. Draco Vlasavius Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Veteran

I can easily and highly recommend Jan Jansen. His thieving abilities continue to increase with his levels due to him being mutli-classed. His 'pick pocket' ability will come in handy if you want to get your party fully decked out in early chapters.

*** spoiler*** with a few potions of Thievery you can steal some items about town -or purchase them- (wands are the best for this procedure), sell them to the Shadow Thief guild in the Docks district, steal them back from that guild, resell them back, steal them back, etc. etc.. -I only do this with an "Evil aligned" party but to each his own. You can acquire 200-300k in gold and and then buy whatever feels right!

Jan also has other great abilities such as dispelling invisibility, creation of the famous 'bruiser mates', and the like. One of his best and worst features is his dialouge.... But all in all he's a great addition for Thieving and Spellcaster and humour.

[This message has been edited by Draco Vlasavius (edited May 02, 2001).]

3. TelexStar Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Thanks for the suggestion! :)

4. Lothar Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Hmm-I'm not a fan of Jan Jansen myself. I found that he died way too easily, and he wasn't very helpful to my party. I am more of a magic type person, but I prefer even Nalia over Jan. Of course that is just a personal opinion, but Jan just wasn't right for me.

5. boogie Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I'm a big Jan-Fan. He can handle all your party's thieving needs for the whole game (especially with all his funky equipment). His stunning-crossbow ammo is kinda neat and has it uses. And as a mage, he's not half bad either -- yeah, I know he's a multiclass as caps out at level 13 and not the pure-mage cap of 17. But he is also an illusionist, meaning he gets 6 bonus spells..so overall he's a good addition to almost any team.

And his personality, well, you either love him or ya hate him =)

6. Pretend Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

imo there is no good thief NPC in the game.

7. Draco Vlasavius Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Veteran

Behind Yoshimo, Jan is the only Thief that can progress in levels found in BG2. Therefore he is the best thief -we all know what happens to Yoshimo.

Of course Jan or Aerie or Edwin will die if you keep them in harms way. I'm sure everyone knows how to rearrange party member order and no wizard should be up on the front line. That is unless your 'Irenicus-like'. Keep the little fella near the back of the group! Where his 'turnip reflexes' wont befoul the air for the rest of the party.

Again, near the end of the game Jan's thieving ablilities should all be over 100 and then some (naturally and artificially).

8. Spudsquisher Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Nalia is not a great theif, most of the time when i try 2 go invis with her she screws it up

9. Dudette Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

thats cause she's dualled at level 4 to a mage

10. Mikka Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Yoshimo is the best thief, no way around that. However, we all know what he ends up doing.... so there's no need to take him along, unless you like the story.

Jan is the second best theif- even though I'm not that big of a fan of gnomes, illusionests, and annoying things obbsessed with turnups. However, he is funny- you just have to remember that he's not a pure theif, he's a mage/theif, and needs to be kept out of harms way.

Then Imoen, who I like. She's your best friend, and *S P O I L E R* your sister (wow, big spoiler, huh?). She can find most of the traps in the game, disarm them, and she's good at lockpicking. It takes her a while to be able to hide in shadow's, though, and she's pretty bad at pickpocketing.

Then Nalia, who I hate. So I won't even discuss her. =/

As for romances- when you leave Irancis's dungon, or when you try to kick Jaheria out- it makes a check with the females, to see if your elegable for romances. So, if your male, a human, half-elf, elf (but not for Vicky), and maybe a halfling (Different reports on that- as well as people saying Aerie goes for gnomes), you can have a romance with one of them. All you need to do is keep them in your party, and soon they'll start conversations. Aerie's will talk about her uncle, how she misses the circus, and then she'll start whining about her wings, asking if you think she's beautiful, and also talking a bit about her past as a wingly (OOops, that's legend of Dragoon... eheheh, umm..). Viconia will go cold/hot, cold/hot- talking about the underdark, the monsters down there, her brother, her hiding out after you left her, her flirting with you... it's quite strange, truthfully. As for Jaheria... her relationship is quite buggy, unless you download a patch from a site (Baldurdash?). But she'll start out talking about Amn, how she's hated down in that other place- the one with the T =P, how she misses Khalid (She has nightmares, and she talks about him being happy), she mentions Gorion, and then she talks more and more about the Harpers, and about choosing your own future. Touching.

As for Anomen, it does a romance check when you first enter the Copper Cornet. You must be female, human, half-elf, or maybe elf (It didn't work when I was an elf, but I dunno. =P), and of good alignment. He starts talking about his ever-so-lovely time in the order, and bragging, and then he becomes more sensitive, talking about his family, and how much he hopes to be a paladin-type-guy. Touching.. *sniff*. He'll still be your romance weather you do the good path, or the evil, which is nice.

11. Nobleman Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

I think Irenicus will hunt You in Your dreams for calling him Irancis :D
    no just kidding. ;)
    It Was a great advise on the romances. I wonder if it is possible to get some offspring in ToB. This could make the saga endless :cool: Some kids who betray You for devine influence.

[This message has been edited by Nobleman (edited May 20, 2001).]

12. Avooch Dar Guest

wow you can make babies with Jaheira. i would like to see that!

13. Spudsquisher Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Jan!!! if ur not a theif (why ?????!!!!) then he is great, an he is cooler than Yoshimo!

14. Vicsun Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Do you think that in ToB Yoshimo will return? I sure hope so... I am in need of a good thief and i just don't like Jan.

15. Greldorn Banned

I´m playing with Jan in my party right now and he´s pretty ok in battle and he has superb thiefskills... I´d tell you to go for him.

16. Avooch Dar Guest

It says that at the beggining of TOB you get to summon any NPC. I am hoping that that will include Yoshimo. I suppose we shall just have to wait... no this is boring i'm off.

[This message has been edited by Taluntain (edited May 26, 2001).]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.