1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Romances in BG2: do girls get screwed?

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by The Magpie, Oct 11, 2005.

1. The Magpie

The Magpie Balance, in all things Veteran

[​IMG] Pun semi-intentional. :hahaerr:

Moving away from my alleged sense of humour, being a typical male (tm) I was wondering about how the ladies of SP viewed the various romance options available in BG2, from Anomen in the un-modded game to Kelsey, Sola and the Flirt packs. I have only one experience of playing a female Blade to really draw upon, and my overriding memory is of having to suppress the urge to stab Anomen in the eye.

How do the other mods compare? Are they better/worse? (I'm guessing better, but I'll leave it open :p ) If better, what did they do diferently? Is there anything you think could still be done better?

There seems to be plenty of discussion about the male romance options, but I wanted to open things up (mainly off the back of the Anomen threads that kicked off recently). Also, I kind of feel I understand why guys prefer one or the other, but it's more difficult to get the girls' angle. For the record, my preferences for the guys' options run: like Jaheira; Aerie winds me right up (extremely insecure & needy, to the point of emotional blackmail); Viconia I'm fairly indifferent about, but the ending raises a :cry: .

So, what do you think, ladies? (And guys feel free to add anything too!)

[ October 11, 2005, 20:41: Message edited by: The Magpie ]

2. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Okay, I'll go first, sheesh. These are all in context with the Flirt pack. I will never play a romance without it. Pinky swear. These are the only female romances I've played, so others I won't comment on.

Anomen - (LG variant) He's still brash as ever, but he mellows a bit. The romance grows (sort of) in that I can give him back his self-confidence. He's nervous about what I think and that's something that's ingrained into his personality - approval from another for what he does. Grade: B-

Anomen - (CN variant) Brash and arrogant as ever, he doesn't have that chip on his shoulder from the Order. He's glad to be free of those goodie-two shoes and now he can be and do what he likes without retribution. Although, he sees me as part of his narrow world and wants to hear what I think (not that he follows my advice...). Grade: B-

Kelsey - A very complete NPC and well intregraded(sp) into the game. I notice other people take him as their main magic-user without romancing him. He's not a social misfit (like others I can name), is fairly normal and supportive. He likes talking and listening to how my life is and about the other NPCs. He's willing to talk about things important to him and me. I enjoy taking both Kelsey and Anomen and letting them duke it out for the coveted 'Alpha Male' in my life. :D Grade: A

Tsujatha - He's an evil, elven necromancer who only romances good aligned, female PCs and won't leave the party due to a high reputation. He ranks up there with Kelsey as a group's main magic-user (extra spells from his specialty and a ring...sweet). I found him to be very intense with me - I became the focus of his world. :cool: His voice is very luxurious and believeable for him. I was sad at his ToB ending. Grade: A

Solaufein - I didn't complete his romance, but I did get far into it. I got pretty sick of the poetry and that he only had 2 voiced sentences. He would be better without the nasty fights that are packaged with him. He seems a bit clingy, but no moreso than other NPCs. If Weimer redoes him without the battles or lessens the intesity of the battles, I would be willing to change my grade. Grade: C

3. Aslyn Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

hmmm...well after 2 yrs of owning TOB I finaly finished with Anomen...all I can say was his Lovetalk is really not that great...I expected a way better ending as well and was sadly disappointed

...Kelsey is an awesome character to romance...I havent got through the Sola romance yet...which I guess will be my next big game :)

4. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

I'm going to have to go with kuemper on Sola: shut up with the poetry, and be romantic. As for the battles, they are slightly insane. Fun to have, I guess, but I would prefer more voices, better portrait, and a little less poetry (although the amount of banter is good).

5. Winterine Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

@kuemper or anyone else who knows: Who is Tsujatha and where can I get him? :D He sounds great!

In order (roughly) of me playing through them:

LG Anomen (unmodded) I thought was bearable...probably because it was my first time through the game and I felt sorry for him enough to put up with his outbursts and annoyman traits... Like kuemper said, mellows out a bit, which is good. Still overly "Order"-ish though. *sigh* Why couldn't he just take the hint when I said I don't care cos I'm a foreigner and wanderer?

CN Anomen (unmodded) was less stuffy, so in my books was better, personality-wise. But without the WIS bonus, I thought it wasn't a good enough trade-off, so I haven't played the CN romance through ever again. I'd probably stick to LG or no romance at all of the three choices here.

Flirtpack Anomen is definitely better, for both of them. CN Anomen with the kitpack is MUCH better again. :)

Solaufein was the first mod I ever installed, and I'm pretty sure I wasn't even sure I knew what I was actually downloading. I just kinda went, "Hey, it's a mod...whatever that is...I might as well give it a go." And so I found myself playing through his romance. I thought it was a refreshing change from Anomen's romance, but came a little late in the game for me to be able to take the romance seriously. I thought the first fight fine, but the Eclipse....grrr! Never did that fight a second time properly! I thought the lovetalks were a bit abrupt sometimes. Overall it was...an experience. Not my type, I have to admit though.

Kelsey I heard about after getting frustrated with Anomen being the only romance option in the unmodded game, and I heard about how apparently if you like Sola, you won't like Kelsey and vice versa. And of course I heard a lot of stuff about how "romantic" Kelsey is etc etc... I must admit he's a well-made mod. A little *too* chatty and *something* for my tastes after a while, but I did enjoy his conflicts with Anomen as well.

Last but not least I gave the Kivan mod a go. I have to admit being partial to the angsty moody-broody types...hehehe. Personality-wise I like him better than Anomen, Kelsey or Sola, but (no offense intended) the mod, or at least the version I have, could definitely be improved.

There's a certain male NPC mod I'm waiting to try now...he happens to be an awesome CE fighter we all met waay back in BGI... :D

6. kuemper Gems: 31/31

Tsujatha Melalor is from the Chosen of Mystra modding community, along with other fine mods.

7. Winterine Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Thankies, kuemper :)

8. Laiwethel Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

I'm with kuemper on everything she says, except I haven't tried Sola yet. I probably should get around to it sometime.

I'm looking forward to the release of Calean, the half-elf, CG archer. I've been following the progress of the mod, and it looks like it's got a great potential.

9. Balle Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

i thoght...

Poetry=Romance?

10. kuemper Gems: 31/31

Romance=Chocolate+Gifts+Hugs+Foot Rubs. Poetry is right out, especially when that's all he ever talks about. :nolike: Oh another Solaufein bit I disliked is his 'we must talk of the philisophical implications' of whatever I'm doing right now. Can't a gal just play with her b/f's hair without it developing into some weird, Nietzsche-esque talkfest? :confused:

11. Balle Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

the things you just stated requires time or money so, this equation is true?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.