1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Romance requirements?

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights (Classic)' started by Forashi, Jun 26, 2002.

1. Forashi Guest

That's right. What do you need to start a romance? Which race should your character be to get a romance? How much charisma shoud you have? Which characters are there in the game to romance with?

2. Errol Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Erm....I don't think there are any romances, as the only 'party members' available are henchmen, which will probably be non-romancable.

3. Relic Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Actually, from what I've seen, romances are in, with a couple of the henchmen (Sharwynn in particular), and I've seen posts about a romance with Aribeth, though that one may just be rumour. I've just started on chapter two, which is where I've read most of them begin. But, this is just rumour, again, so take it for what it's worth.

4. Vormaerin Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Beginning in chapter 2, you can romance one of the main NPCs (Aribeth for men, Aarin for women). There does not seem to be any other requirements for that, though having a decent persuasion skill helps. Mainly, its not obvious what is a romance dialogue and what isn't (unlike BG2), so you may or may not trigger these romances depending on what you do or say.

Sharwyn is also a romance option. The key there is keeping her in your party as much as possible over multiple chapters.

I haven't used the other hireables, so I don't know if they are options or not.

Aloha
    Vormaerin

Edit: there is currently a bug with the two main romances (Aribeth and Aarin). The game automatically removes the 'romance active' token incorrectly during a particular module transition. You can get around it with the toolset if you need to.

[This message has been edited by Vormaerin (edited June 26, 2002).]

5. No romance for the sweet elven cleric Linu ?

6. Vormaerin Gems: 15/31

There might be, but I haven't had Linu in my party so I don't know.

But Sharwyn doesn't have chapter by chapter quests like the other henchmen, so it might be that she has the romance option instead.

Aloha
    Vormaerin

7. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] I've pretty much only used Tomi Undergallows in the game...Does that mean I have to buy him dinner too?!?!?!?!?

I could get into Sharwyn...She's cute but worthless with traps and such...

8. Forashi Guest

Sighs... Well there´s still some time till the game arrives in northern europe. Hate using walktroughs etc. But I have even more when I can play days for nothing when I don´t know wether the romance is on or not. So you´re saying there´s no charisma requirement? It´s a real pain in the butt trying to get some points for charisma with those limited character points.

9. Vormaerin Gems: 15/31

Umm, 30 pts is a grossly high number of character points. I think 32 pts is the "has big red S on shirt" level. You just have to remember that a 12 in NWN is the same as a 15 in BG. The equivalent to a 30pt character in BG2 terms is one having 16s in three stats and 15s in the other three. How much better do you need to be?

As for whether the romance is on, you can more or less tell from looking at your journal. It mentions roughly when (or if) you can expect another dialogue. Obviously, if Sharwen's Tale and/or Aribeth's Tale end up in your 'completed' section, that's a bad sign. ;)

Aloha
    Vormaerin

10. Forashi Guest

Right, I really hope you´re right about that romance info and not just guessing. :)
    As for the scores, how much exactly is 18 then in comparison to BG2? 20-something? If the 30 points really equal 3x 16 / 3x 15 points, then I have no qualms about it. Seems unbelievable though.

11. ninelives Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

wat about sex? i remember having sex with Aerie in BG2.

12. Somnus Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

There's a brothel in ch.1 in which you can have sex with the women, if you're charisma and persuasion are high enough I think... not sure about ch.2. though nothing in ch. 3 so far either

13. Vormaerin Gems: 15/31

well, I completed the 'romance' plotline with Aribeth as an 8 Charisma half orc, so I don't think there is any restrictions. Though its not a 'romance' in the same sense as the BG2 ones, mainly because there isn't the same amout of time involved in the game. I didn't make a lot of progress with Sharwyn, but I don't know why exactly.

As for the stats, it goes like this:

2nd 3rd
    15 12
    16 14
    17 16
    18 18
    19 20
    etc etc

The main thing is that moderate scores are more valuable than before (they were worthless in 2e, really) and super high scores are toned down.

aloha
    Vormaerin

14. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    I thought Aribeth already has her beloved one... That low level priest I mean.

What about other options... How many of them?

Besides, any romances in custom modules?

15. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

Minor Spoiler.
    Finish Chapter One, and that will be taken care of.

Sharwyn and Aribeth for men, Aarin for women.

Count on it.

16. Shell

Shell Awww, come and give me a big hug!

Media:
    well the title of one module is a hell of a giveaway "sex and the single adventuress" ;)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.