1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Roleplay or cheating?

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale (Classic)' started by Westhardus, Dec 7, 2005.

1. Westhardus Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

If you want get rings of free action in Kuldahar, but have no thief or bard in party, you can add one to party, make him pickpocket those rings and remove from party.
    You can imagine, that you hired one fellow somewhere for this reason only.
    So gamers, cheating or roleplay, what say you?

2. kmonster Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Veteran

A roleplayer wouldn't pickpocket at all (at least the people who have something worth pickpocketing in IWD), since getting caugth = game over.

3. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Well I did that same trick once, I was playing a two-person party with a cleric (dualled to a mage soon at lvl 14) and a purest fighter, I created a thief which put all her points into PickPocket (and her name was Imoen, for some strange reason :p ) and she pickpocketed EVERYTHING and then retired to safety. It sure made my game MUCH easier!

And, from a RP wiev, a thief should not hesitate to do his dirty work in fear of being caught and his game being 'Over'. If a thief does not ever want to use his skills for some gain and profit, he shouldn't call himself a 'THIEF' at all. :roll: That is my opinion anyway.

4. Westhardus Gems: 4/31

I full agree with Silverstar, thiefs mission is thieving after all:)

5. Anjo Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

And every hard battle you could create for example high level mage/cleric to help you. You could think you hired him somewhere...

6. starwalker Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Role play wise a person would pickpocket because while a computer game pickpocketing may be the end. A failed pick pocketing in Role Playing could be the start of a great adventure and it is not necessarily an end at all.

Though maybe it's me but I don't see how you can make a high level mage/cleric without cheating it in. Only a low level one. But maybe there is something i'm missing about character creation.

7. Westhardus Gems: 4/31

You can create high level mage/cleric by doing quests and exporting/importing him over and over. But it is not fun anymore.

8. kmonster Gems: 24/31

Veteran

If you create a level1 thief the chance that he'll succeed in pickpocketing everything is lower than 20 percent.

And how should he know who is worth being pickpocketed how often ?

If he tries pickpocketing everyone until he knows that the victim doesn't have anything the chance for succeeding instead of being hunted out of town is nearer at 1 percent.

And how stupid is a thief who gives the stolen goods to your party for free instead of selling them for some thousand gold pieces?

9. kuemper Gems: 31/31

Robin Hood. 'Nuff said. :p Also, it's not good business to screw over your employers...unless you were hired to do just that by someone else. Which deepens the RPing...if there was an actual DM.

I say it's RPing as you could go with the story of hiring the thief/bard for a job. A bard would be easier since they're used to limited engagements. :lol:

10. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mĂȘnu! Veteran

If you're going to justify hiring a thief just to rob those guys, you'd better hire one to pick pocket every other NPC you meet in every other town as well.

Your characters would not know those are (basically) the only guys in the game worth pick pocketing.

11. kmonster Gems: 24/31

Veteran

Just imagine the talking when hiring:

"Pickpocket a ring which can easily be sold for 8,000 GP for us. You get 0 GP as payment."

It's easier to justify plundering the far more useful equipment from the pregenerated HoW characters. (They are just selfless heros who want to help you ...)

12. kuemper Gems: 31/31

Who said anything about telling a hired thief he/she was getting no payment? You don't tell a thief exactly how much he/she will get paid for a job. Typically, both parties agree on a percentage or cut of the booty. RoFA aren't easily identifiable by anyone besides a magic-user with Identify memorized. Example:

Me: Hey Imoen, I want to hire you to flich some rings from a couple people.

Imoen: Heya. Oh sure. I love to steal things. What am I getting paid for this? 100 gold?

Me: I have a better idea. Why don't you keep anything besides the 2 rings I want when you rob them? Both are know to have quite the magical assortment of goodies hanging about.

Imoen: Are these things shiny? :skeptic:

Me: Oh very shiny! :angel: The potion bottles gleam and glitter in the fair light of Selune.

Imoen: I'll do it. What do the rings look like?

Me: Simple silver-plated bands with notching along the outside. You'll be able to tell them by feel, what with your nimble fingers.

Of course, that's for good RPers. Evil PCs would just say, "Look, you get me those rings or I play jump rope with your entrails. Double-cross me and you'll find yourself with a new nickname: Lefty." :evil:

13. starwalker Gems: 16/31

Role play wise you can also consider taking a magic item or two you were just going to sell anyway and go something like.

"You steal those rings for me and i think I got a pair of nice boots(or whatever) for you that I think you can get quite the use out of or fetch a good price for. It's a good trade."

Put the item on them after they steal your rings or whatever else. Then delete them and poof. They take their payment with them.

14. Westhardus Gems: 4/31

But if there is some bard, who wants go to Vale of Shadovs and write songs about Kresselack and zombies:) You can give him Mirkuls Holy simbol and all the keys for rings of action :rolleyes:

I think I will never play without thief, because I like sneaking and backstabbing poor monsters.

15. kmonster Gems: 24/31

Veteran

With enough imagination you can explain really anything, and IwD is a fantasy game after all.
    I'm really impressed by your ideas.
    Is anyone able to explain the neccessary reloading when pickpocketing that many with a level1 character ?

16. kuemper Gems: 31/31

Divination or scrying? Magic aside, I explain it by saying the thief/bard got caught and spent some time in the pillory. When the thief/bard finished his/her time, he/she tried again. After all, experience is the best teacher. :angel:

17. raptor Gems: 16/31

Hehe, well could anyone be as nice as to tell me wich persons this was again ? i found it once, but have forgotten. Looked through the walkthroughs on sorcerers, but couldnt find a mention about them anywhere.

18. kuemper Gems: 31/31

Spoilers!!!!
    The RoFA can be pickpocketed from Arundal the archdruid and Orrick the mage in Kuldahar.

19. raptor Gems: 16/31

Ah thanks, wasn't there another item ? i seem to recal there was 3. Impressive how long ago it must have been since i played this last time.

edit: nevermind, i figured it out ;)

[ December 24, 2005, 03:36: Message edited by: raptor ]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.