1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Rolemaster System and Sourcebooks

Discussion in 'Dungeons & Dragons + Other RPGs' started by Blades of Vanatar, May 6, 2010.

1. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Not sure what category this should fall into, so I put it into Whatnots, though the playground looked like an option as well. Anyway....

I joined a RPG group here that is using the Rolemaster System. I have always liked this system. I have the RMSS Rulebook, Gamemaster Law and Arms/Claw Law. I am looking for Spell Law and Treasure Law and was wondering if anyone had opinions on other sourcebooks that are worth looking into?

Game-wise, We start next week, a 4 man team starting from Level 1. The GM is using a homebrew campaign/gameworld. He requested for us to have characters already drawn up. I'm thinking of playing a Dabbler, which in D&D terms, is similar to a F/M/T. The Magent looks tempting as well, kind of like a F/Mind-Mage/T. Any experienced Rolemaster players on these boards?

2. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    Rolemaster can be a great experience or a nightmare... I'm not an expert by far but I'd suggest checking beforehand whether the GM is going to use all the rules, some of them, simplify them or even use all the tables (flipping through these tables is a treat by the way). IMO it's no use getting sourcebooks if the GM is going to use house rules (and there is nothing wrong with doing that as GMs should make the rules work for them and not the opposite).

I'm looking at Character Law at the moment and Magent has some real potential but I can't find any reference to a Dabbler. What do you have in mind for your character? I gather that you're going to play a deceitful spellsword/spy? That's a start.

The covers by Angus McBride were splendid, they did a lot for this game IMO.

3. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

The GM will be using the rules straight from the books, with only a couple of variations, from what I understand anyway. I prefer that as well, it keeps the game streamlines and balanced to the system.

As for Dabbler, it depends on what edition you are looking at. We are using Rolemaster Standard System rules. Are you lookng at a RM Classic version of Character Law? I think they chopped it down a bit in Classic. The classes in Standard are...

Non-Spellcasters - Fighter, Thief, Rogue, Layman, Warrior Monk
    Pure Essence - Magician, Illusionist
    Pure Channeling - Cleric, Animist
    Pure Mentalism - ??? and ???? - don't remember what these classes are.. Mentalist? maybe and something else.
    Hybrid - Sorcerer and Mystic?
    Semi - Bard, Dabbler, Magent, Monk, Ranger, Paladin

My Half-Elf Dabbler will be mostly functioning as the Roguish type, augmenting his abilities with Essence Magic, using spell lists like Unbarring Ways, etc.... he will have an aristocratic background and will be very full of himself, but will also have a touch of the noble side as well. Which I foresee dilemas for him when he has to choose between an easy score and performing an ignoble act. Should be fun. He will wield a Rapier and a Main Gauche. No Missle Weapons. A "Three Musketeer" type swashy if you will. Full of flair and debonair!:D

He will concentrate his stats on Agility, Quickness, Empathy, Self Discipline and Presence. With Intuition, Strength, Constitution, Memory and Reasoning as lesser priorities.

4. Caradhras

Media:
    I don't have the same version but I found a reference to the dabbler in the other manual (too many of them it gets confusing after a while), the focus is on Agility and Empathy for prime stats. From what you've posted and what I've read they're pretty much magic using thieves.

Anyway that sounds like a fun build and you seem set for some pretty cool swashbuckling goodness.

Let us know how it goes and may you roll some nice critical hits. ;)

5. Blades of Vanatar

Thanks Carad! - I was looking into the other sourcebooks for more character options and because I like to collect. Spell Law is expensive everywhere, even used copies. I haven't seen a used copy for less than 20 bucks.:( I bought everything else on the cheap thru Sorcerer's Store or B&N online.

6. Caradhras

Media:
    I've checked on ironcrown.com and the cheapest was $21.00. You probably should wait for a better price though since it's doubtful your level 1 character will get to use that much magic.

The Spell User's Companion may provide some extra information if you could get it (you've got more of everything magic) but you'd still need Spell Law.

By the way, I've found out that only Rolemaster 2 has been translated in French (it was replaced in 1995) so that should explain my difficulties with finding references and of course it means that the booklet I've just mentioned may be obsolete for your system... ;)

7. Blades of Vanatar

Like an idiot, I bought a used copy of Character Law, hoping it would expand on the races/professions, etc.. It does, if your playing RMFRP. But since we are using RMSS, the info in Char Law is already in the RMSS main book. Duh! Luckily, it was only $3.95! Found lot's of great Rolemaster Character Gen programs, mostly in Excel and some very good in-game session stuff for the pc. I'm happy!:)

8. Caradhras

Media:
    Having an extra copy is not that bad. I have two copies of the James Bond RPG (the French version has photographs from the movies and looks so much better than the American version). It's been useful at times.

Can you post some links for these programs? A good character generation program can be very useful indeed.

9. Blades of Vanatar

10. Caradhras

Media:
    Thanks for the links, I'll have a look at some of the generators! :)

11. Blades of Vanatar

Well, in our 1st wilderness encounter, my wonderful Dabbler met a grim end. There was a lone Orc sitting just off the beaten path, chewing on the leg of a caravan driver he or something else killed. Never found out the story. As I am(was) the sneak/scout, I circled around to flank him and cover the parties approach. I failed miserably in my sneaking ability and stumbled right into two of his buddies, just laying in wait for others to ambush. Waraxe to the head makes for a really bad day. I immeditaely tried to flee, but stumbled and fell. The rest of our 4(now 3) man team fared as lousy as I and were cut to pieces. Our main bodyguard, a High Man Paladin, fumbled all 3 attacks. He was the next to go. Our Grey Elf Magician didn't fare much better, as she was unable to get off any spells. The Half-Elf Rogue, our other melee warrior, lasted the longest, actually taking out 2 of 3 orcs before becoming supper for the final Orc. Next Friday night we try it again. I will change up a little and create a Halfling Fighter, a Bowfighter to be exact.

12. Caradhras

Media:
    There is nothing like playing a level one character. :)

Good luck with the Halfling, may you fare better than I did with my last halfling (D&D, level 1 characters, Halfling Rogue with his Half Orc Barbarian buddy got chopped to pieces while the rest of the party was having a good time in an inn somewhere). :p

13. Blades of Vanatar

I agree. Level 1 is the best. Anything, even a dagger wielding goblin or a big rat can kill you.

14. Caradhras

Media:
    Besides it makes rolling a critical hit when the chips are down something really special. I remember the humble beginnings of my favourite pnp character (an ADD half elf thief) with a particular fondness, I had only 20% in Hide and got lucky... Good times. :)

15. Blades of Vanatar

My favorite was a 2nd edition AD&D Halfling Thief, in the Hollow World campaign, many, many years ago. I retired him at level 13. His 1st encounter, with the party, was a Black Bear. Random encounter. I killed it with 2 seperate backstabs. It was a start to a great career!:)

16. Caradhras

Media:
    That's one killer Halfling you had there Blades! :thumb:

My character was more of a "live to run away another day" type. :p

17. Blades of Vanatar

Rec'd Spell Law in the mail yesterday. They sent me the original, not the RMSS version that I ordered. 0 for 2 with that guy. Guess he will be getting a bad critique on Amazon. Snarl! Though, I thinkthe original might have a bit of resale value, will see. It is in excellent shape. The original doesn't cover Paladin, Dabbler and Magent. all classes I would like to eventually try out. Spoke with the team last night. Someone else want s to paly an Archer-type Ranger, so I will go with party spell-caster instead. I am thinking of making a Hybrid, possibly a High Elf Mystic, a lover of life, the world and most importantly, a lover of Elves above all others!:) Multiple spell-type capabilites should be nice. I will be weak in melee/missle combat though.

18. Caradhras

Media:
    A lover, not a fighter... Nasty tree huggers, always busy paring their nails and reciting poetry! :p

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.