1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Role-Playing Blues

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights (Classic)' started by Mathetais, Jul 29, 2003.

1. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

I got busted by ADM Kipper yesterday for making a cleric of Lathander without the right domains. I developed a background (not stretching) to accommodate the domains, but was quickly told to rebuild the character. Maybe I'm just unlucky logging in when he had time to review my character, and I could have chosen a different deity who supported the domains I wanted (but the Dale really needs a cleric of Lathander).

But this does raise a question. Given that ALFA is about role-play, not leveling or power, how is everyone dealing with the restrictions that places on you?

Another frustration is that when I die, I'm forced to rebuild all my relationships in game. So old friends like Rem, Hallen, Yuki, etc are now strangers. Yesterday I got totally blown off by Hingar Ironstar, walked away, then sent him a quick tell joking with him about being rude to me. He was acting in character and I didn't mind, and he knew I was joking, but still, its frustrating to be a new face surrounded by people you used to have history with. This is the worst part of perma-death for me. I don't mind loosing a character, but the relational work is hard to give up.

Any other comments or suggestions?

2. Mesmero

Mesmero How'd an old elf get the blues?

Yesterday, I wanted to say 'hello' to somebody, but just in time, I realised that I never met that person with Orbrin.

Concerning the restrictions of a character; I make my characters flexible, I never write a complete bio up front. Everything I say in game, I write down or take screenshots, so I won't make mistakes about for example, which town I grew up in. I try to be as dwarven and as paladin as I can with this character, but nobody is perfect.

The most annoying part is the static quests. I seem to know exactly where I'm going, without my character ever being in Daggerdale before. If I adventure with a party, I often forget that I don't know the place, and take the lead.

I just grabbed my Player's Handbook and started reading about paladins. I never played a paladin before and there is something in it about a code of conduct, which I'm having next to my keyboard, the next time I play.

As for the title of this thread :thumb: Shall I grab my guitar and play a blues in E, while you think up some lyrics?

3. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Yeah, I think losing the history and relationships are the worst part of death.

My other character on Daggerdale was involved withe the Drow and Demon attack from below the temple of Lathander. I used to love talking about it to new people, but then I couldn't any more.

Also it's always tough to remember who you've met with your new character and who you haven't yet but remember from your last char.

4. Mesmero

I'm really bad in remembering things, so I always write things down. Next to my keyboard there is a list of people I met, with those I have done quests with underlined. Once your character dies, you throw the old list away and start a new one.

I have a list of dwarven sayings and a dwarven dictionary next to me, which helps me role playing my character better. I have a sheet with paladin info, on how he is supposed to act. I also have a small list of things Orbrin likes and dislikes and of family members.

Am I the only one using a pack of paper to help role-playing?

If Orbrin dies I have to do research again for the race and class of the new character, but I hope to actually gain some levels with my current character.

5. Gothmog

Gothmog Man, a curious beast indeed! ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

[​IMG] I really dont need any papers for Roshnak ;) :p

He cannot even speak properly, and now he's supposed to know which person he met and which not :D

Mhm, another thing is boasting with you're knowledge of something someone else doesnt know. ;)
    But i agree reabuilding all your connections, and relatoinships with everybody is one of the toughest things... so is building your reputation once again.

One thing bothers me though... I read a sample chapter of D&D book about Krusk the half-orc barbarian. Now, he was as stupid as Roshnak, but he could memorise perfectly everything he wanted.

Now i wonder if that applies to all half-orcs? Memorising without realising and understanding what it is.

6. Gnolyn Lochbreaker Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

That is the worst part about losing a character: having to 'forget' everything your character knew before, from events and happenings, to relationships, friends and conversations. Whenever I've lost a character that had fairly strong ties to a server, rather than try to re-build them all over again (and risk acting completing out-of-character just through habit), I find it's time to move servers.

I also have a sheaf of scratch notes next to the PC - helps me remember who I'm playing :p

7. Mathetais Gems: 28/31

I think I need a break from ALFA. Let me know if anything interesting happens!!! :good:

Reason #1 ... the wife hates ALFA

Reason #2 ... after Galen died I've been in a character funk. Looks like we don't need a Lathanderite in the Dale (where did Glen come from??) and I'm getting pressure to be both a dwarf and an elf :(

[ August 01, 2003, 21:55: Message edited by: Mathetais ]

8. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Glen's been around for a long while. I didn't know he was a Lathanderite though.

Who cares about the pressures from outside; play what you want to play. And most important - quit dying so often! :)

Now the wife is another story, so I can understand that.

9. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] Glen was a priest of Mystra until about a mongth ago...He had a spiritual awakening toward Lathander...He's taken up the cause of the Morninglord since then

10. Mathetais Gems: 28/31

Okay, I'm over it, though I do need to cut back some to keep the wife happy.

Be on the watch for Cromasis Thundermount, dwarven druid ... probably the ugliest dwarf yer likely to meet.

(and if you see his portrait, you can call him Mr.D! I pity the fool who mess with me, I pity him!)

On a side note, does anyone know if a druid can use a greatclub, and if such a weapon exists in the realm?

11. Frostbite Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

I'm thinking... Short dumpy dwarf in green. Leaves in his beard. Perhaps... a hood on his robes. With a satchel over his shoulder on one side... Draging a freaking great big club slung over his shoulder.

Hmm. Tae's back in business. After haveing a two week rest I plan on getting to level 3 as soon as possible. I think Taes been around for so long because she never does anything. Just talks to people and goes shopping. Ah well. Sounds feminine enough to me.

12. Mesmero

There are no great clubs in NWN. Maybe someone made them for ALFA, but I don't recall ever seeing one.

I thought about playing a druid; "Don't walk on the grass, you're killing them!" But I decided to play with my dwarven paladin and that was a great choice if you ask me. He is strong, brave, a good axe thrower and great at rescuing cats stuck in trees near White Chalk Hollow ;)

13. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] I have never seen so many people playing tree-hugger types in my life! What is so special about druids and rangers?!?!?

When I played pnp DnD ages ago, no one played them! We even had to beg people to play thieves! We always had a few fighters, a mage or two, a cleric, and a pally (me)

Anyway...Anyone who missed last nights' quest for the Mace....You missed a really bloodbath! At least 5 pc's bought the farm! If I hadn't made my reflex save...I would have been toast! Again!

14. Frostbite Gems: 16/31

Damnit, I was going to wish them good luck. Thought about tagging along, but besides the fact I got kicked off eariler then I thought, I probably would have been slaughtered with my measly 20 hit points. I doubt if Aezan, my 14 hitpoint familier would've lasted long.

I haven't seen anyone else with a hawk familier. Everyone goes for bears and dire wolves, big tanky things. I prefer my hawk anyway, he's hard to hit and that means I can get busy with the sling :)

15. Mathetais Gems: 28/31

Druid = Cleric + Animal Companion, very helpful.

Ranger = Fighter + Steath
    ... just ask Hallen who stayed hidden in the shadows while direwolves ripped the throat out of Blaise, Cleric of Lathander.

Bel .. you going to write up the eventes from last night? I was there for the very, very beginning (Rug and me killed a few zombies and even attacked a skelton warrior) but then the baby woke up from her nap.

I'm in shock about El

16. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    Yeah, let's hear the story! You have Evasion right Bel? So does that mean you took no damage from whatever that was that would have killed you? I love that; can't wait for my next level, though the trend is I'll die just when I get close. I'll get Evasion and I'll take some Use Magical Device skills for my next thief level.

I play Rangers because that type has always been my favorite character in novels I've read: The super-skilled archer in the forests.

A Fighter configured like a Ranger would probably be better than a Ranger in ALFA, though Trackless Step is certainly helpful at low levels. The +1 damage for Racial Enemy is not a big deal, and you don't get any magic until 6th level which is a very long way in ALFA.

Mat - If you had just survived a little longer, I could have helped you. I had just put down the stuff that was encumbering me and was about to come after you when you died. But that is certainly true: You and that Dire Wolf came within inches of me. I would have certainly been dead if it had seen me, encumbered as I was. :)

Oh, one more thing I found out recently is that you'll never find anything really good for sale from merchants. No Boots of Speed, no items with DR, nothing of more than +2 enchantment, nothing with more than +2 to any ability score, nothing with more than +5 in any combination of skills (though that's pretty decent at least from my perspective), nothing with immunity to anything, nothing with more than 25% resistance, etc., etc. I guess fighter types have to rely on the DMs or friendly magic-using characters for any kind of power. At least thieves can purchase and use scrolls etc. with the Use Magical Device skill.

17. Frostbite Gems: 16/31

A question, do any of you guys know enough about the ironstar clan to post what happened (not sure when, or what to call it, I was away on holiday)
    I used to be really good friends with Rugnar, but from the snippets of info he told me on his new character, heres all that I know. He hit level 11, then be became a vampire or some evil thing, and started stealing babies from the ironstar clan hall for the demon or something. Heh, the ironstar found out, needless to say. But Rugnar took down a good few, 4 PCs and 6 ironstar guards, quite a feat. If anyone has any Idea what I'm talking about, or knows what happened, could they post it? I'm intrigued to hear the downfall of a good friend of mine.

Heh. Tae still hangs glumly at 1400 exp from level 3. I envy all you SP people who can get on and meet one another. I'm GMT+1, so there're never many people on, unless I stay up late. (Trust me, its hard when your 14) Before I can venture further into the border wood, I need to see a DM to become fully accepted. Unfortunatle, that means about 11:00 pm for me... *sigh* I still like to pretend that I'm a member, and I'm on good terms with Arien.

Can anyone advise a good place to gain exp at level 2 other then the ants, because whenever I get there, its alreay been cleared. Not that I mind being stuck at level 2, its actaully quite plesent, not so newbish to be killed immediately, but still having to rely on my animal companion to bolster my attacks etc. You know, If Tae hadn't already have died twice, I'd probably be at level 3/4, but due to that fact that you go back so much (especially down to level one, and now that you can't rely on quests and contracts to help)

18. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    As I understand it, that's pretty much what happened to Rugnar. He must have run afoul of a Vampire somewhere. The demon is that red teifling-hunter that can only be hurt by the mace Bel talked about above.

The ants are really the safest bet for a low-level solo; you get quite a bit of XP if you can get there and clear the whole thing yourself. The sewers are also good (though much less XP), but Mat has had bad luck down there with thieves and traps.

19. Gothmog

Gothmog Man, a curious beast indeed! ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Frostbite!

I never knew you're GTM+1 !
    We could venture together at more reasonable hours (for us).

I'm the very same :D Where do you live anyway if you dont mind my asking.

Really man, you and i have the same problem... late hours when finaly interesting things are happening.
    Last night i was up till 2am to take part in Mace retrieve quest.
    I must say it was worth it!
    I got over 300XP for it... and a very good story to tell at the camp fires ;) :grin:

I was there when that fireball came... luckily just a bit further from its reach... otherwise i'd be a roasted half-orc like those who were not so lucky.
    I was foolish enough to think i could engage a vampire in hand-to-hand combat... I hit him... weapon ineffective :mad: ... he hits me 15 damage in one hit :(
    So when that fireball came i had 28hp... it would surely finish me as i couldnt hope to make my save.

But... I'm alive! :D

I just noticed.... there are quite some half-orcs on now. Shortly after my Roshnak, Krog came in.. yesterdayi met another quite well spoken half-orc and today a female half-orc.

Quite a few :)

20. Mathetais Gems: 28/31

Love is in the air?

Not sure I'd want to see the half-orc courting rituals though ...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.