1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Rod of Terror and Edwin's untimely demise

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Invoker, Sep 5, 2001.

1. Invoker Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

somewhat early in the game (did renald's quest first to get edwin) i happened upon this quarterstaff. probably i was bored or something and didn't read its description till the end. All i thought was wow a +3 quarterstaff cool :) So I gave it to edwin. Going on for a while somewhere in a fight i saw a Edwin: charisma modification line but i thought since he just turned into edwina probably that's modifying his charisma which levels out the boni he gets at first.

Since he had low charisma to begin with and i had no need of the ring of human influence and for lack of a better ring i had given it to edwin long time ago. Now i came upon that charisma modification another time and i was like what is going on. After checking his eq I find that there's a 20% chance that for each strike with that staff you loose a charisma point permanently. Wow isn't that too much ? So I had no idea what charisma edwin had and to find out (i had only seen that charisma modification twice) i just removed his ring of human influence.

Bam dies edwin out of charisma the moment i remove the ring lol. And when i resurrect him he dies right away again no time to equip him with the ring again.

Since i didn't have a save before i got that staff i had to leave edwin for dead. grrr. I was tempted to use shadowkeeper but then again, simians you said ?

whoa i wrote quite a lot

2. Big B Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Haha Edwin is doomed to such hideous fates it seems like. Lack of charisma is a good one. Well I guess you'll be reading item descriptions more carefully from now on ;) :D

3. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

[​IMG] Whatever man....ROTFL

One great Invoker such as you don't need a lame conjurer in the party who is inable to do anything but to yell:
    BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Seems that yelling is not healthy these days...LOL
    :p :p ;)

4. Tiamat Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

I can't imagine of a better, more noble end for him.... *sniff*

........ DIE EDWIN DIE!!! His voice is incredibly annoying. Plus, you don't need a second pure mage, do you.

5. Will Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

[​IMG] Wow; I wonder what dying of lack of charisma would entail? Perhaps the unfortunate victim becomes so blasphemously ugly that he/she is forced to commit Hari-Kari and/or is lynched by close friends and family as a mercy killing. Suggestions?

6. Mirkwood Guest

HA! death by charisma loss.

With 0 charisma I can see Edwin lying in the gutter, Robe of Vecna all torn and dirty, drinking meths and yelling obscenities at all the "simians".

7. AvaLance204 Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

In the 3E D&D Player's Handbook, it says that when a person reaches 0 Charisma they enter a coma. LOL.

8. Invoker Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

lol this was probably the stupidest thing i did in this game. err besides bacstabbing renald that is :)

although it somehow seems to be a most fitting end to edwin(a) however sorry i may feel for him. This guy is destined to fail

Anyways this was my second time through so there was no mighty invoker around to poke stingy remarks in return to edwin. :p I was playing a swashbuckler and edwin was handy. Oh well.. there's always the jan the tinker who is doomed to be replaced by imoen :)

<edit>

oh and have you noticed if you have edwin in your party and refuse to take imoen in spellhold then edwin suggests that you dump him and get imoen instead :)

[This message has been edited by Invoker (edited September 06, 2001).]

9. Big B Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

I suppose even the bad guys have a heart, although lacking in charisma sometimes ;). Mazzy says a similar thing, offering her place in the party for Imoen's.

10. Caliban Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

[​IMG] [*sigh* how often must we say NO TOB SPOILERS IN THIS FORUM!? - BTA]
    Caliban

[This message has been edited by Blackthorne TA (edited September 06, 2001).]

11. Maertyn

Maertyn There's nothing I cannot embrace! Veteran

[​IMG] Caliban, you damn... I heard about a funny ending of Edwin, but now you SPOILED THE WHOLE EYPERIENCE FOR ME!!! THANKS A LOOOT!!! :mad:

This is in no way meant ironically!

12. Mirkwood Guest

[​IMG] That really does suck, you're an idiot Caliban. Could you have posted a worse spoiler?

13. Gonzago Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Caliban, seriously, that was a shitty thing to do. This is an SoA forum and ToB in here is taboo. And anyway, if you're going to include spoilers, set them off such that people have to scroll down before they can read them. That way people who choose not to be spoiled can exit the thread.

Damn, and this was a good thread too.

[This message has been edited by Gonzago (edited September 06, 2001).]

14. tjekanefir Gems: 13/31

AUGHHH!

Can someone delete that, please, so no one else has to read it?

Honestly, it really doesn't matter much to me if someone says "X bug is fixed in ToB" or something, but giving away the ENDING OF THE GAME for NO REASON, in a thread that has NOTHING to do with it???

Well, I'll certainly know better than to read any post by Caliban ever again! Sheesh!

15. Extremist Gems: 31/31

[​IMG] Seriously it bothers me if anything and I mean ANYTHING comes from ToB in this forum.

Bugs, glitches, spoils, endings, NPCs, weapons, illusions, hostiles, flying saucers...ANYTHING!

I don't what to see it. Nothing of it.

If you can't stop yourself to post it, then at least post it in the proper forum. You don't know why should you post it in the proper forum? This is why:

Now tell me, do you know where does this quote come from?

16. Maertyn

Maertyn There's nothing I cannot embrace! Veteran

[​IMG] Sir, the F.A.Q., sir!

17. Caliban Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

[​IMG] Hey-

I'm sorry.

I am new here, like 2 days, and I obviously hadn't read enough posts to understand the rules here.

As for being called an idiot...sigh...

I'm not supposed to know these things, and I was sort of sloppily proud of beating ToB with edwin.

So - Apologies. Didnt see this till now, would have edited it out after the first complaint if it had gone into my email box.

Maybe I should keep out of the baldur's gate forum permanently, I play thru both games when I do.

Caliban

BTW- it takes a lot more than an idiot to play thru ToB, not cheating, with Edwin in party, never looking at a FAQ! A fool maybe...

18. Gonzago Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Don't take it so hard, Caliban. My entry into this forum was characterized by an even bigger breach of etiquette (slagging the mods) and an even bigger reaction by other posters. This was gracefully treated by the mods, and I offered the apology that my ignorance and smart-assedness (neologism) obliged me to make.

If you're going to post a new topic, however, you might want to put (no spoilers) or (spoilers) or whatnot in the subject line. Just *make sure* that you leave SoA stuff in SoA, and ToB in ToB. You can see how sensitive people are to this. (We're all on pins and needles waiting for Extremist just to buy the damn expansion, and I think we're all looking forward to the continued adventures of Wally the halfling barbarian..)

I've read through your other post, and you're obviously happy to be here...just read through rules a bit and you shouldn't have any more problems. :D

[This message has been edited by Gonzago (edited September 07, 2001).]

19. tjekanefir Gems: 13/31

I'm sorry, Caliban, but you really do have to be something of an idiot not to realize that giving away the ENDING OF THE GAME in an unrelated thread without a spoiler warning is very, very rude. I mean, come on. Minsc could figure that out.

If you were so proud about finishing ToB with Edwin, nothing wrong with saying "I played with Edwin all the way through ToB!" Telling the ending of the game for no reason just because you're proud of yourself for having finished, is something there's no excuse for.

Just don't do it again, please?

20. Extremist Gems: 31/31

Pal, I never called you an idiot. There is another rule in the FAQ that says not to put personal insults or something like that.

Read that FAQ.
    So you and me won't need apology...

And what was this all about? See, I already forgot. ;)
    Bah, I'm away for next thread... *evil grin*

[This message has been edited by Extremist (edited September 07, 2001).]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.