1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Revenge Of The Sith Teaser Trailer

Discussion in 'Sensorium' started by Wildfire, Nov 7, 2004.

1. Wildfire Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

2. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Do you know where one can get it any other format than .mov? I am probably a sucker but I dont even know which program you are supposed to use to view .mov files.

3. Wildfire Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

.mov files are run by Quicktime, but I'm afraid I haven't found it in any other formats.

4. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    *dies*

Oh.... my... That as so much better than anything SW-related I've seen in ages....

*wibble*

I think the prequels migh not suck 100%... just 66% :p

5. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Ah quicktime, so it is time to download that craptastic program again. The only time I do that is when there is a trailer I really want to see. How come the entire movie industry supports quicktime? Movie trailers are the only movie files which use quick time.

6. The Kilted Crusader

The Kilted Crusader The Famous Last words "Hey guys, watch THIS!" Veteran

That looks goooood! :banana:

7. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I thought it looked ridiculous... Attempting to blend in 30 years old props like Vader's suit with that control panel with large buttons, hairstyles suddenly going back 30 years... Doesn't work for me, especially since Lucas made the previous two movies look more technologically advanced. Now this one is suddenly skipping back to technology of the '70s. Come on.

8. joacqin

Media:
    Well, I succumed and downloaded quick time again and I will no doubt uninstall it is as soon as it's intrusiveness starts to bug me.

As for the trailer I am kinda ambivalent towards it, didnt look ****ty and it didnt look awesome. We shall have to wait and see. I will give Lucas this though, even though Attack of the clones wasnt great it was a lot better than Phantom Menace so hopefully Revenge of the Sith will be better than Attack. Atleast the name is the best yet.

9. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    You know what isds funny? I know I will be rooting for the Sith, and for once I KNOW they will triumph :p

10. Rhythm Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Veteran

Ah... I missed that breathing sound Vader makes. Now it's back in all its glory. Fans of the Dark Lord rejoice! 'Tis time for retribution!

But what's up with the yellow eyes? Kinda looked funky to me, in a bad way. About the hairstyles though, hey trends repeat themselves. I recently sported a similar hairstyle myself until I got my head shaved. Shoulder long locks are great. :)

I have to agree with Tal's comment on the Vader suit though. It all seems outdated and not in line with the technology of its time.

Still, May 19th can't arrive soon enough!

11. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    After seeing the trailer I have only one thing to say, Praise Alec Guinness, may his name never be forgotten in the mists of time.

12. Big B Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

[​IMG] Lord Vader?

Yes Master?

Riiiiiiise!

Oh how I love Palps. Let me count the ways. I don't have any complaints with the trailer. It's better than the Breather trailer we got for Attack of the Clones a few Novemember's ago. RotS is looking to be chock full or raw emotion and action like Star Wars has never seen before. You know that twenty minute section of film in ANH right after Vader's Star Deystroyer captures the Rebel Blockade Runner (the Tanitve IV)? I've always thought it was slow and cumbersome (how C-3PO and R2-D2 just seem to roam through the desert and things get off to a slow start.) Well, that pause in action, that quiet, catch your breath time at the beginning of ANH is going to have so much more meaning now, because RotS is going to shake viewers up so bad, they're going to be begging for some time to relax and reflect a bit, before heading off to the Death Star where things pick up again. That's the beauty of watching the saga in order. It will be great.

I think the beginning of the trailer is great, how it ties in TPM and AOTC with Obi-Wan's ANH dialouge about the past. The music works well in this trailer, except for the very end which seems a little cut off, but hey I guess, that's just my subconcsious wanting more. It also helps demonstrates, what I've always believed, all Star Wars music is great... But ESB is the King of all Star Wars soundtracks, and TPM is the Queen. Here are all the cues used in this trailer in order of appearance:

Same opening as the TPM Teaser; the Force Theme from "Landspeeder Search/Attack Of The Sandpeople" from ANH.

A very short cue from "Darth Maul And The Sith Spacecraft" from TPM.

"The Clash Of Lightsabers" from ESB begins after we hear "Rise." *** Exceptionally Awesome music!!!!***

"The Tide Turns/The Death Of Darth Maul" from TPM. ***Exceptionally Awesome music!!!***

"Dawn Of The Empire" (technically titled "Confrontation With Count Dooku") from AOTC appears over the end title frames. This contains the classic Imperial March theme.

I love how ESB "Clash of Lightsabers" blended seamlessly into TPM's "The Tide Turns/The Death of Darth Maul". Whew. I can't wait for RotS music.

About the yellow eyes... they are no more stranger than Maul's yellow eyes in TPM, or Palpatine's yellow eyes in ESB and ROTJ. And, the trailer has helped show how RotS is going to be total Armageddon in the SW Universe. It is very conceviable how all the fancy / glitzy technology of TPM and AOTC will become gritty and functional. Actually, the change isn't occuring just now in RotS. The real change started in AOTC, during the first battle of the Clone Wars. There are plenty of good shots in the battle that show the transition from pristine to war-torn, but the best one to sum it up is the thick dust and dirt the clonetroopers and droids are in, mixed in with the crossfire. That shot just summarizes how all the pretty white things in the galaxy are about to get scorch marks, blown to bits, re-salvaged, and made more functional and less pretty. It all makes perfect sense and is true to reality. This a galaxy wide. We're not just talking about one planet needing, consuming, and destroying resources. We're talking about thousands more. And if shots of small fire ships trying to put out fires on big capital ships in the skies of Coruscant helps hit the matter home. Not even the capital of the SW Universe will escape the destruction that comes from the Birth of the Empire and the Clone Wars. Also note that is C-3PO and R2-D2 standing in the Tantive IV, the same Rebel Blockade Runner that we see at the beginning of ANH, the connection most likely being the ship belongs to Bail Organna, which ties in nicely with ANH.

My top five favorite shots from the teaser trailer:

5) All those Wookies ready for battle

4) The grave look on the new alien dude's face who is talking to Obi-Wan (the one new species we see in this trailer)

3) The emotion that Padme just shows through her eyes and she turns to Obi-Wan at a table

2) Whacked, out scary Palps with a lightsaber

1) Anakin pinning Obi-Wan down and choking him

Oh yeah, and Vader rising. And Anakin and Padme hugging, and Obi-Wan and Anakin silhouetted by volcanic eruptions, fighting. And that reminds me. You know, Ol' George didn't have to have the big duel between Anakin and Obi-Wan take place by a volcano. But he did. I think George knew he could get away with things like having Anakin be a young boy in TPM, and having Obi-Wan be trained by both Qui-Gon and Yoda, because he knew he'd save the biggest prequel expectation/preconception/whatever for the fans. That there would indeed be a killer duel between Anakin and Obi-Wan, and that it would indeed be in a volcano environment. So be thankful and enjoy! :tie:

13. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I can't wait. But I bet they don't answer the question of how come Darth Vader never seems to recognise C3PO and R2D2 even though have been his best buddies as a kid. Or how Obi-Wan ever came to the genius plan of hiding Luke (and himself) from Vader on Tatooine - Vader's birthplace, home to his relatives, site of his mother's death and perhaps the most significant planet in the whole galaxy to him. Hardly the first place you'd think to hide (although Obi-wan turned out to be correct in thinking that Vader would be too thick to ever check there). Compare that to Yoda who was much wiser and chose to hide in an obscure swamp.

Ah, but such nitpicking is far too geeky. I'm sure Revenge of the Sith will rock. The trailer is awesome.

14. Shalladeth Is it ignorance or apathy? I don't know and I don'

For lack of anything else exciting on the horizon as far as new movies, this looks pretty good.

15. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Damn!! I can't see it. It won't work for me. Why!? Why!? :aww: :wail:

16. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I haven't seen it online but it was the main story on prime time news on TV here the day it came out so I saw it then.

/me goes off to build a lightsabre :tie:

17. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Beren, uh, get QuickTime?

[ I have it ... that's why I can't figure it out. ] - Beren

[ November 10, 2004, 00:06: Message edited by: Beren ]

18. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    I can't remember Vader ever seeing the two droids in the first 3 movies.

19. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Well I agree the teaser was fine, but it didn't really say anything about what SW3 is going to be like.

Thing is, everyone knows that fans have waited for what seems like an eternity for this episode of purest evil. The episode where Darth Vader mercilessly slaughtered the Jedi all around the galaxy, and where everyone who would not succumb to the empire were killed or enslaved. Where everything "good" was lost, and no hope was remaining (that's what A New Hope is about afterall, a new hope :) ). But despite thinking that SW 1 & 2 weren't all that bad (though not nearly as good as the originals 4-6), I just cannot see that Lucas could come up with a true SW episode here.

I am quite convinced it will be a family movie, a little drama with poor troubled teenager Ani and bad bad uncle Obi who doesn't understand Ani and let him do what he wants. Ending in a confrontation between Anakin and Kenobi, after which Vader will be born. Period. I am in fact quite certain that all of the darkness that belongs into this episode will be left out. The time of Vader and the power of the empire will forever be left inbetween the episodes, unseen by the loyal fans who have waited for it for so long.

And what's wrong with quicktime? It's easy, it's free, and it works both in itself as well as because it is so common. It seems to be one of those programs that people hate just because it's a trend. Sure it's one extra software that you could well do without if they just supported the more common formats, but so what?

20. Big B Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

[​IMG] OK, the one time in 4-6 that Vader is in the same room as C-3PO is the Carbonite Chamber in ESB. That's it. Vader is never with R2; the most he ever sees of him is a target lock on an X-Wing in the ANH Death Star trench run. And I agree with Harbourboy that his question won't be answered in RotS, and the reason why is, it doesn't need to be. (Sorry man.) I would agree that the "protocol droids and astromech droids are a dime a dozen" argument doesn't work here with Vader (like it does with Uncle Owen in ANH, who obviously doesn't care anymore about droids than he does his toaster or his blue milk machine, they're appliances to him - that's it) But back to Vader. He would most certainly recognize Threepio's voice or shouts to Chewbacca I should say (remember C-3PO is in pieces strapped onto Chewie's back in the Carbonite scene.) But at this point what does Vader care? At that time in ESB, he cares about one thing, turning his son to the dark side so that they can overturn Palps, that's it. His old droid from his Anakin Skywalker slave days on Tatooine means nothing to him. Only one person does - Luke Skywalker.

Now as to why Tatooine is picked as the hiding place for Luke and Obi-Wan, I don't know yet. I'm confident RotS will supply a simple solution.

Now, onto this talk of RotS not being as "dark" as it needs to be. I think it will be darker than a lot of us here suspect. No, it won't be a blood bath, but for SW terms it will be dark - right up there (and even beyond) with blowing up inhabited star systems and abusing your son. I suspect TPM was as overly light as it was (with the darkness lurking under the surface - because in many ways, TPM is darker than people realize, but a different kind of dark - a subdued, emerging darkness, that emerges more in AOTC, but by the time of ROTS the tables are turned, where good is more subdued and darkness takes the driver's seat.) But I suspect TPM was as overly light as it was to balance out the darkness of ROTS, because Lucas knew how dark it was going to have to be when he began the prequels.

Here are some official qoutes about RotS concerning the darkness of the movie:

"...the third film is very, very, very dark. It's not a happy movie by any stretch of the imagination. It's a tragedy. Ultimately the final story is between Yoda, Obi-Wan, Anakin and the Padmé. It's really their story. Those four characters." - GL

"It still has to reach out to a specific audience, but it will be substantially darker than the previous films." - HC

"It's very dark and Shakespearean...and adult, and more violent than a Star Wars movie used to be." -SLJ

"Episode III will 'surprise, amaze and shock.' It will be the darkest of the six saga films it will tie the series together in 'unexpected and surprising' ways." - Sansweet

"Episode III is the last one, so no-holds barred now." - RM

"Armageddon will take place." - C2

The major focus is the breakdown in friendship between Obi-Wan and Anakin. - SW Insider

"The story of Ep3 will be enjoyable as the conclusion of the saga. It is dramatic, believable, frightening, sad, moving, hurtful, and human. It is the missing key to a story fans have admired and remembered for so long". - AD

"It's a much more grownup film, with more attention on the characters and less on big monsters. The movie deals with people being nasty to each other and is much darker." -AD

Ep3 will have the same emotional depth as ESB. - RM

The story will move much quicker than the previous films. - RM

Ep3 is a "2-hour turn to the dark side". - RM

Pablo has a hard time believing some of the imagery will get a PG rating. Nothing is too over the top but in today's MPAA standards, some scenes are intense. -PH

There are some elements of the movie that push the limits of a PG rating but it is too early to tell what the final film will be or how it might be rated. -DG

Nick thinks it is possible for Ep3 to have a PG rating. -NG

Overall, Ep3 is more action-oriented but will still have its fair share of quiet, character-driven scenes. -DG

In one word Ep3 is "dark". -DG

Ep3 is really three stories running at the same time. One's much more dark than the others. -PH

When asked if we will see any more beheadings like Jango in Ep2, Nick said "heads will roll in Ep3". -NG

"Many limbs will be lost in Episode III." - NG

EIII will make you go back and look at EI and EII in new and different ways. There are small clues and hints in TPM and AotC that we may not have paid attention to, but which will become more important once we see EIII. -PH

"Episode III also ties in beautifully with all the other movies. And when I read the script, I was really surprised by how emotional it is. Everyone working on the film took so much care with it. Nobody wants to get it wrong." -NG

Acronym Key:
    GL = George Lucas (Director)
    OS = Official Site (starwars.com)
    RM = Rick McCallum (Producer)
    NP = Natalie Portman (Actor)
    HC = Hayden Christensen
    RB = Roger Barton (Film Editor)
    IM = Ian McDiarmid
    C2 = Celebration II
    BB = Ben Burtt (Sound Editor)
    JEJ = James Earl Jones (Voice Actor)
    JK = John Knoll (Visual Effects/ILM)
    PE = Paul Ens (Official Site)
    GB = Gavin Bocquet (Production Designer)
    JE = Joel Edgerton (Actor)
    PM = Peter Mayhew (Actor)
    RC = Rob Coleman (Visual Effects/ILM Supervisor)
    BS = Bruce Spence (Actor)
    AD = Anthony Daniels (Actor)
    TB = Trisha Biggar (Costume Designer)
    SLJ = Samuel L. Jackson (Actor)
    PH = Pablo Hidalgo (Official Site, Webcam)
    RC = Ryan Church (Concept Artist)
    DG = Dan Gregoire (Pre-Visualization Effects Supervisor)
    DB = Don Bies (Droid Unit Supervisor)
    NG = Nick Gillard (Stunt Coordinator/Swordmaster)

The above is taken from TheForce.Net's "E3:Just the Facts" section - good for if you don't want complete spoilers (and at this point there is still a lot of speculation out there, so don't believe anything beyond what's in 'Just the Facts'.) :tie:

[ November 12, 2004, 01:17: Message edited by: Big B ]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.