1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Returning NPCs from BG1

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by david w, Mar 20, 2004.

1. david w Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

This might have been asked before, then again it might not. I didn't find anything with a search so here goes...

Assuming all the NPCs from BG1 that didn't make it to BG2 *were* brought into the game, what role would you imagine them playing?

Ajantis
    Alora
    Branwen
    Coran
    Dynaheir
    Eldoth
    Faldorn
    Garrick
    Kagain
    Khalid
    Kivan
    Montaron
    Quayle
    Safana
    Skie
    Shar-Teel
    Tiax
    Xan
    Xzar
    Yeslick

While some of these do show up in the game, they're either dead before you know it (Khalid, Dynaheir, Ajantis) or just play minor parts (Coran, Safana, Faldorn, Quayle, Tiax, Xzar, Garrick, Tiax) and never make the kind of impact they did in the first game. Some even end up getting killed by the party (Ajantis, Faldorn).

A few I'd like to see brought forward:

Ajantis: now a card-carrying member of the Order of the Radiant Heart. Could be instrumental in bringing the Fallen Paladins to justice. I also never liked the way he was outright killed in SOA without you even knowing it was him before he died. I'd have preferred a chance to try and reason with him instead of just killing him outright.

Alora: a member of the Thieves Guild who accompanies you in dealing with either (or both) Mae'Var and Bodhi.

Faldorn: the party could convince her (high Charisma score maybe) that what she's doing is wrong and she would turn her back on the shadow druids and help them out.

Montaron & Xzar: want revenge on the Harpers for turning Montaron into a steel bird. This could impact on the Jaheria Harper Hold quest and maybe even end with the party being actively pursued by the Harpers for their part in aiding known Zhentarim agents.

Tiax: could survive the fight with Irenicus in Spellhold and join the party. I think it'd be quite interesting progressing to the end of TOB with Tiax in the party. He believes he's going to rule the world but the PC is going to become a God - how will Tiax react?

[ March 20, 2004, 10:42: Message edited by: david w ]

2. Jaguar Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Veteran

I can hear Tiax now:

"You become a god because Tiax allows it. There is no other reason. Just remember, even the gods quake at the approah of Tiax!" :lol:

I myself would have liked to see Shar-Teel enter BG2. Not only would she be an evil fighter to tank with Korgan, I can also see her having a sort of romance plot with Minsc, or maybe Edwin. Of course, that's just me.

She could jump in as a merc who was hunting down Valygar when you convince her to either join with you to track him down together, or help you clear Valygar's name.

It could work.

3. Bloodtitan Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

you can bring them all back playing the mod The Darkest Day, excluded those who are in the game already but cannot join the party.

4. david w Gems: 19/31

I've never been a big fan of TDD due to its many bugs and the fact that while many of the NPCs return, they don't have a whole lot to do. Rescue Montaron and he and Xzar will join with you but they just tag along; there are no missions for them (at least as far as I know) and no dialogue with other characters. Yeslick shows up in the Temples District supposedly investigating the Cult of the Eyeless but nothing really happens with that.

In any case, I don't think TDD covers every NPC from BG1. I don't remember Alora, Branwen, Xan and a few others showing up.

What I was suggesting was that these NPCs return and have just as much interaction with the BG2 NPCs as the BG2 NPCs have with each other.

5. Bloodtitan Gems: 8/31

well some may miss, but ALL npcs got a question to do, zzar for example gets additional harper trouble.
    and as i said before in another thread, i didnt encounter a single bug with TDD.

6. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

I wouldn't like to change the storys, I think they worked out ok.

7. casey Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Well why would you want extra NPC's anyway? isnt 16 enough? whats wrong with the ones that are already in the game?

8. omnigodly Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Veteran

Nothing, but having... let's say... 50? There would be a whole lot more to experience with the game

9. Bloodtitan Gems: 8/31

casey 16 npcs is not enough. you cannot build an evil party of 6 for example. and i think the variety is important so you can pick up nice matchups for any kind of PC.

10. Benan Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

If they added a good Dwarf or brought Kaigen or Yeslick it would've made me happy.

Oh and decent thief who's not dual classed or destined to not be very friendlike.

11. david w Gems: 19/31

There can *never* be too many NPCs. Sure, 16 sounds like a lot and is enough for you to play through the game half a dozen times taking a different one each time, but wouldn't it be great if there a 100? Or 200?

Just think of the possibilities...

I'd like to have a fallen paladin, or a thief who isn't going to die, or a good mage, or a good dwarf, or a monk. BG1 had a far greater variety of NPCs and I'd love to see some of them return.

12. The_Swordalizer Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

100 NPC's may be cool, but imagine the dialogue you'd have to write to make sure they all had something to say to each other...

13. david w Gems: 19/31

True. It'd be nightmarish. And imagine how much testing you'd have to put the thing through to guarantee there weren't any errors.

No wonder they limited themselves to a smaller number of NPCs.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.