1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Return of the King Book and Movie.

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Khazraj, May 11, 2003.

1. Khazraj Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

I am nearly finished the Return of the King, book 3 of Lord of the Rings. This is the fourth time to read it. As I have only 3 chapters to go and Frodo has achieved his quest and everyone is off home, my mind started to wander...(as it tends to...)

I wondered what would the movie version by Peter Jackson (go Kiwis!) due later this year have as the ending. I reckon it will be with either Frodo losing his finger or with the Marriage of Aragorn to Arwen.

Clearly the movie version will need to be different, but I can't see the story going on to the point where Frodo leaves to Valinor. That's my prediction. (I don't care if I am surprised by Jackson, in fact it's probably better!)

What is your prediction for the ending?

2. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

I've heard that Frodo goes back to hobbiton, but this is much shorter than in the book, and even leaves to Valinor before the movie finishes.

And i'm slightly (no not slightly, really) surprised hearing an aussie say go kiwis :confused: .

3. Baezlebub Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Don't expect that comment from me ;) . I would think that it will end with Sam thinking of Mr. Frodo. Right to the end. It ties up rather well, but it will miss out on the appendicies. I can guarentee it. Oh well, it should be fun.

4. Khazraj Gems: 20/31

Actually, I finished reading the book last night and I thought that it would be possible that the story may go on, but movie wise I am not sure. Jackson did need to change some bits here and there. Let's wait in quivering slightly salivating expectation...

5. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

I can promise you all that the movie will atleast go back to hobbiton, I have seen clips of the movie and even seen some of the sences for when the battle of hobbiton takes place.

6. Viking Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

I can't see any reason whatsoever why the movie shouldn't track the book in terms of ending.

It's a fine ending.

"I'm home" :)

7. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    The beginning and ending of LotR are clearly alot weaker than the other parts of the series. The story ends atop Mount Doom, that dragging the ending out like Tolkien does has no point really. He could and should have summed it up with a short epilogue of a few pages.

If what you say is true and that they will go back to Hobbiton and bla bla bla I am disapointed in Jackson. He had the guts to cut out most of the incredible boring first 100 pages of the first book and I think he should have the guts to cut out most of the completely unescessary dragged out ending of the series.

8. Lazy Bonzo Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

I heard, though from only a semi reliable source, that Peter Jackson (and the other people who chose what to cut and stuff) said (paraphrasin here)

"Well the return to hobbiton was one of our favourite scenes, but due to time constraints we had to cut it". In short, although Frodo will return to hobbiton, the 'sharky' part is cut. I'm guessing that the sailing off to Valinor part will still be in though.

This is all from a friend/s who were reading various interviews. If someone could validate whether or not the 'sharky' part is cut or not i would be grateful.

9. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Well, it'll probably go into the DVD version...

10. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Well, since the 'Sharky' part was filmed but then cut, I have to wonder how Saruman's and Wormtongue's demises are going to be handled?

Seemingly that 'wizard on a spike' picture was a deliberate hoax by PJ to throw us off. I've scoured the net since then, and the whole thing is under a really tight lid (kept tight by criminal sanctions I imagine).

Any rumors?

11. Eze Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Probably a stupid tearjerker with Aragorn dieing and Arwen crying herself to death.

Grr.

Arwen die.

(Wolvie, yes you can kill Arwen. But not now. We don't want PJ suing us, don't we?)

12. Charlie Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

We can expect a different ending. The Two Towers ending in the movie was before it ended in Book II, probably to extend the action because the main conflict ends early in Book III.

13. Rotku

The reason the 2nd movie ended before the book did (in my opinon that is) is because the 3rd book is much shorter than the rest of the books (not including the appendix) so they needed more things to put in the third movie.
    Saruman on the spike?... yes i can remember seeing that in the paper. I have no idea what that is about but as i said before i swear that they will return back to hobbiton but not for as long as they did in the book.

14. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I think that it'll go the whole way. The ending of Return of the King was brilliant. Marriage will come first of course.

15. Volsung Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

I don't want to see a movie *based* on LotR. I want to see "The Return of the King" and not a different version of it. However, I liked "The Two Towers" but only as a movie. I didn't like it as a LotR movie for that reason: almost everything was changed. I think that PJ should stick to the book.

16. Khazraj Gems: 20/31

I sort of expected that Jackson would deviate from the book. The extended DVD version of Fellowship is extremely interesting in that they all explain how they put the film together (and you get the extra juicy pieces. I've even forgotten what was not in the extended version now!) and the reasoning behind why certain sections were left out or changed. Most of these were for those people who go to see the film without having read the book, and there are a lot of people in this category. They like the film as it is and don't really need the book to back it up or explain it.

I really like the films so far eventhough they are "heterodox".

Ruler. Do you have any links to sites that may give some other clues?

17. Rotku

No, sorry i don't at the moment, I've never been one for searching on the web, but i'll try to find something. :)

(After spending about 20 minutes looking) :( Sorry i couldn't find a thing. Although if i remember right the news paper article (which came out 2000 if you want to try finding it your self) didn't say anything about that sence. Apart from that there are some new 'chapters' appearing in the LotR movies.

[ May 16, 2003, 11:55: Message edited by: Ruler of the Known Universe ]

18. Khazraj Gems: 20/31

I have been watching the commentaries on the Extended Fellowship DVD. Peter Jackson explains that what you see in the Mirror of Galadriel is the Scouring of the Shire. That is all that will be in this movie trilogy. No scouring as he put it.

19. The Kilted Crusader

The Kilted Crusader The Famous Last words "Hey guys, watch THIS!" Veteran

I think the first movie was a really good film, doing a great tribute to the book. The second film, in my opinion, sucked (that Viggo just can't act). if the third film can pull off the same quality as the first, I'll be happy.

20. Gaidin-_- Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.