1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Resting bug?

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale (Classic)' started by Felinoid, Jan 12, 2006.

1. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

[​IMG] Just tried resting for the first time (in Kuldahar), and it's pretty funky. Here's the story:

I have one character who's at 25/28, and one who's at 17/19. Thinking that the second level of room would get me 2 hp for each of them, I selected it and paid. 16 hours later, they're both completely fine. So I think "Maybe they doubled it or something" and reload to try the lowest level of room; same deal.

Now wondering how much my single gold piece is getting me, I proceed to hack at my 45/45 character until he's down to 15/45 and get the lowest level again. 16 hours of rest later, ALL 30 hitpoints are healed. (It even healed from 10/45 all the way up the next time I checked.) :confused:

I had thought earlier that the 16 hours was a little weird, and now I'm thinking that maybe there's some sort of 'rest until healed' thing going on, and they decided that 8 hours wasn't enough when they saw my pally was at 27/28 afterward. So, I reload yet again and get the highest level of room (third) to check it out, assuming that it'll only take 8 hours this time before they're completely healed. Wrong again, it still takes 16 hours. :nolike:

What's going on? I'm not saying I mind the uber-healing from a single gold piece, but I'm still a little skeptical. Oh, and I'm playing without HoW, if that's what makes the difference. I do have the v1.06 patch from here on SP, though.

2. Drew

Drew Arrogant, contemptible, and obnoxious Adored Veteran

Media:
    First of all, you never get more than 1 hp for resting in IWD. If you want to shut off the rest until heal function you can activate your rest with a character screen up. If you do that, then you will be given a choice of how long to rest. Clerics, Druids, Paladins, and Rangers also automatically heal the party when you rest. That should explain your "fully healed in 16 hours" wierdness.

3. Felinoid

Did you even read my post? Because what you said doesn't really apply to my situation. I guess I didn't out-and-out say it, but I would have thought that talking about paying for a room would make it fairly clear that I was at an Inn. Or am I supposed to switch immediately to a character screen after I pay for my room? :nuts:

EDIT:
    Okay, now I've tried several other things, and it still doesn't make sense.

-Tried killing my healers and injuring someone: it took 17 hours.
    -Killed everyone except two non-healers, who I injured very severely: it took 34 hours.
    -Ctrl+R on both injured characters: it only took 8 hours.

Now at this point it's pretty clear that it must be some sort of "rest until healed", but a new problem popped up when I tried other things.

-Ctrl+R the 25/28 character leaving the 17/19 character injured and buy the priciest room: it still took 16 hours!

WTF?!? If none of the rooms heal more than 1HP, then what's the f***ing point of having more than one?! For that matter, I can't even be sure that it heals at all! What the hell is going on? :mad:

[ January 12, 2006, 03:50: Message edited by: Felinoid ]

4. Aces Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Do you have any clerics or druids?
    They autocast their healings upon resting.

:)

5. Felinoid

Yes, but they were all out. I had my pally use his lay on hands on my cleric just before talking to the innkeeper, and my cleric only had a Pro. Evil spell left. At this point I'm assuming that it's rest until healed that's causing the problem, but there's no other option! When I hit the rest button on the Inn screen, I only get REST and CANCEL; unlike in the wilderness where I get REST, REST UNTIL HEALED, and CANCEL if I'm on the character screen (I checked using the Auto-Save from the Kuldahar Pass).

So how do I keep it from happening at an Inn? And if I can't, can you at least tell me WTF the difference is between the rooms? The curiosity is literally killing this cat.

6. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    The manual (I still have the original 160 page spiral-bound one that I broke out just for you :) ) isn't clear on exactly what should happen when you rest at an inn by buying a room. It does say "the more expensive the room, the more you'll heal while you rest." It does not mention that your party will rest until healed, but it looks that way from your results. It also says under the "Natural Healing" section that characters heal several (not very specific eh? :) ) hitpoints every 8 hours of rest, and that a better room affords more hitpoints of natural healing. Seems like your experience is contrary to the documentation :)

7. Aces Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

One more Q...

Do you have the diffculty set on easy?

I haven't play IWD in about 2 years so my mind is slipping on what it takes to turn off the rest until healed option.

And I always had HOW installed too.
    That probably makes a difference.

8. Drew

Media:
    I read your post, Fel. I just thought you might want to know you can bypass resting for more than 8 hours, sometimes. Did you read the part right after that where I actually answered your question? :) Here it is again: Every 8 hours your priests recast their healing spells. So, for example, if your party rests four 24 hours, this means that the priest exhausted his healing spells twice during that period (3 times if the priest had any healing spells left when you started to rest).

Take a pair of 5th level fighters who are down to 1hp each and have them rest in an inn. I believe you'll notice it takes a very long time for them to heal without access to a healer. Even in the fanciest room in the inn.

9. Felinoid

@Aces:
    Not this cat; I play on core and only core. :cool:
    @Drew:
    No, because it isn't there. Everything you said was relating to wilderness resting, with no indication that you were talking about Inn resting too.
    Wow, still no answer about Inns. I'm impressed.
    Finally, an answer...kind of. Except you'll notice that I already tried that, and it still didn't quite answer my question. :rolleyes:

I'm sorry if this sounds a bit hostile, but that's probably because it is. This whole not-knowing thing really frustrated me, and I need an outlet. You being less helpful than you clearly could be just makes you a good target.

At least Spellbound had an answer for my question in the chatroom:
    There's absolutely no difference between the different levels of room at an inn, and no way to turn off the "rest until healed" there either. So unless everybody's hunky-dorry, I'll just wait and rest in the wilderness. Eh, more monsters to kill anyway.

10. raptor Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

From my iwd1 config program. Do note i have HOW installed, so i dont recal if you need HOW to be able to disable that.

"Heal party on rest" (aka: PillowParty) has already been described earlier here, so i don't need to repeat them. But yeah they sleep for ages if they have lots of healing to do, and they use all healing spells "before" resting, that thankfully speeds things up a bit.

There is no difference between the various rooms available at the inn that i know of, save price (and rpg reasons).

The above mentioned option, should indeed make even inn's ret you for only 8 hours.

And imagine how insane it would be for the innkeeper to tax you another gold for every 8 hours you slept in exces of 8. When some people have experienced sleeping for 30-40+++ days (especially if they forget to resurect the dead healer first).

Anything i forgot to ansver ?

11. Felinoid

/me applauds raptor :thumb:
    Now that was what I was looking for! But what tab is it in the config program? Because I can't find it.

12. raptor Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Game Tab

In my version (HOW) its listed inbetween the:

Alternativelly just add open the file "ICEWIND.INI" and find the part that says: [Game Options]

and add:
    And see if that work. If you dont have the option in config, i asume that you need HOW to use that option.

13. Felinoid

Must be HoW then. The only tabs I see are Options, General, Wizard Spells (hotkeys), and Priest Spells (hotkeys). And the "Max HP When Leveling" option is part of the in-game options under Gameplay. Oh well, I guess I'll just deal with it. :)

EDIT:
    Ooh, just saw your INI thing. I'm gonna go try that out.

EDIT2:
    Nope, doesn't work. :nolike: Oh well.

[ January 12, 2006, 19:41: Message edited by: Felinoid ]

14. Drew

Media:
    I answered your answer fully in my first post:

This is the first thing that I said. That answered your "different room" question about inns. It was also a way to let you know that resting out of doors is no different than resting in an inn
    I thought this would be helpful information. I'm sorry if you thought it wasn't. I noticed, however, that when someone else from a different forum brought up the exact same point you thought it was useful information.
    I'm pretty sure that what I was saying here is that your priests were healing your party while you rested, and that was the explanation for your "bug".

See? I did answer your question. In the first post I made about the subject. If you are going to reward my helpfulness with hostility, then I guess I just won't help next time.

[ January 13, 2006, 00:28: Message edited by: Drew ]

15. Felinoid

Okay, so you tried to answer my question, but you still failed. :p Ironically, a couple of hard returns after the first sentence in your first post would have actually made all the difference. But without them there, I naturally thought the second sentence (which talks about resting from the character screen) was a continuation of the line of thought in the first one. And since you can't get to the character screens form the Inn screen, you couldn't possibly have been talking about the same thing I was. My mistake; still your fault. :shake:
    Actually, if you notice I did use it. I wouldn't have tried this without it:
    EDIT:
    No, I rewarded unhelpfulness with hostility, regardless of your good intentions. But I suppose if you can't handle the occasional frustrated gamer, you shouldn't bother trying to help anyone anyway. :p

[ January 13, 2006, 00:56: Message edited by: Felinoid ]

16. Drew

Media:
    Fair enough. If you think I should stop posting, consider it done.

17. Felinoid

I hope that was sarcasm. Dude, learn to take a joke. ;)

18. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Take anything further that has nothing to do with the topic to PM, please.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.