1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

"Resetting" Baldur's Gate

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Balle, Jan 7, 2008.

1. Balle Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

as the title implies i would like to reset my baldurs gate directories as some of them are a bit.. well screwed

why don't you do a clean install you might say.

well.. i have misplaced some of my cd's especially my TOB cd, so it is seemingly impossible for me to do a reinstall

so, i would like directions as to where i might find a new clean override folder, and all of the others so i can avoid doing a new installation, or directions as to what files to delet and such.

in return i offer a virtual pat on the back, a "well done - thumps up" and a few rep points if that is in my power

Balle

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2008
  2. MindChild

MindChild Science should not set limits to imagination Resourceful Veteran

if its possible to re-apply the patch...just delete everything in your override folder and reinstall the patch...even if it doesnt add stuff to the override folder, it will still be sure that the patch is good ....

3. Stu Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Here's what you need: Building and maintaining a clean install
    The cleanTOBbackup archive contains the a fresh override directory, dialogue.tlk, BGmain.exe, baldur.exe, CHITIN.key and baldur.ini.

In the future try zipping the full directory and burning it to a dvd, that way its backed up even if your hard disk drive goes down.

@MindChild - A fresh install of BGII still has some files in the override - I wouldn't really recommend deleting them (the game should still work, but some items/areas may not work as intended).

Last edited: Jan 8, 2008
    Balle likes this.
  4. Balle Gems: 19/31

i have doen all of that, now it starts complaining again saying: An Assertion Failed in ChDimm.cpp at line number 628
    Programmer says: Unable to Open Bif:data/hd0GMosc.bif

any help on that one?
    please..?

5. Stu Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Here's a copy of my Hd0GMosc.bif (1.3mb), place it in your data file so it reads something "C:bad:Program Files\BGII\data\Hd0GMosc.bif".
    I *think* that should do it, if not, let us know.

[EDIT] Just double checking-did you do everything in icelus's 3rd post?

6. Balle Gems: 19/31

i did do everything to the exactly to the point i am sure of that, i did it multiple times, and i am (to say myself) at least a bit computet savvy.

however, the latest advice did not work sadly, and i am now "borrowing" a new cd from a friend, wich shoud be ready in about 40 minutes and 36 seconds.

i will then proceed to do a completely clean install, and then apply all the mods i want to play, in the correct order and all of that.

other than that, i thank you for your time and efforts

Balle

7. -David_W- Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

If your BG2 installation is in any directory other than C:bad:Program Files\Black Isle\BGII - SoA then you need to edit the baldur.ini file. Replace any reference to C:bad:Program Files\Black Isle\BGII - SoA with the path to your BG2 folder (e.g. C:bad:Games\BG2 on my install).

8. Kulyok Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Just in case: I renamed baldur.ini to baldur.ini.frombackup in both backups, so it will *not* be replacing your baldur.ini any longer when you're unpacking a clean backup.

Should be fine for all clean backup users now - sorry for any inconvenience!

9. Balle Gems: 19/31

ahh! there is my error!

mine would have been D:bad:programs\black isles\bg2

well, i swiped all and i am ready to modd the hell out of my bg now

tank you all

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.