1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Remakes of old movies.

Discussion in 'Sensorium' started by Rawgrim, Jul 3, 2008.

1. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

I was looking around on imdb.com earlier, and noticed some guy having made a list of upcoming remakes. upcoming being the key-word here.
    And all on the list are just the horror-movies. check the list out. Its amazing. Trouble with coming up with new ideas over there in Hollywood maybe?

uspiria
    Friday The 13th
    A Nightmare On Elm Street
    The Last House On The Left
    Child's Play
    Attack Of The Killer Tomatoes!
    Hellraiser
    The Changeling
    Scanners
    The Birds
    Near Dark
    Motel Hell
    The Thing (yet another re-make)
    Silent Night, Deadly Night
    The Crazies
    Rosemary's Baby
    The Wolfman
    Creature From The Black Lagoon
    Battle Royale
    The Blob
    People Under The Stairs
    Pirahana
    The Orphanage (YES a re-make of the the Spanish film just released but this time in English. Guillermo del Toro is said to be producing. Sad that this movie just came out and now it's being re-made)
    Faces Of Death
    The Bad Seed
    My Bloody Valentine
    Alice, Sweet Alice
    Don't Look Now
    The Stepfather
    When A Stranger Returns
    Dead Daughters
    The Fury
    The Witches
    Isle Of The Dead
    Night Of The Demons
    The Tingler
    The House On Soriority Row
    It's Alive
    See No Evil
    Death Line
    The Entity
    Mirrors
    Quarantine
    Night Of The Living Dorks
    At The End Of The Spectra
    Apt
    Anguish
    I Saw What You Did
    Don't Look Up
    A Tale Of Two Sisters (re-named The Uninvited)
    Let The Right One In
    Don't Look In The Basement
    Infection
    The Echo
    Long Weekend
    In The Playground
    Urban Decay

Quite alot of movies there, isn`t it?

The guy also made a list of some of the movies that had allready been remade.

The Invasion (re-make of Invasion Of The Body Snatchers)
    I Am Legend (based off book of same name and already made into a movie twice before as The Last Man On Earth and The Omega Man)
    Night Of The Living Dead 3D
    Dawn Of The Dead
    Day Of The Dead
    Texas Chainsaw Massacre
    The Omen
    Halloween
    Prom Night
    Toolbox Murders
    The Wicker Man
    Psycho
    The Wizard Of Gore
    Black Christmas
    The Hitcher
    King Kong
    House Of Wax
    When A Stranger Calls
    The Haunting
    Thirteen Ghosts
    Willard
    House On Haunted Hill
    The Fog
    The Amityville Horror
    The Hills Have Eyes
    The Hills Have Eyes 2
    One Missed Call
    The Stepford Wives
    April Fool's Day
    Village Of The Damned
    The Eye
    The Ring
    The Grudge
    Pulse
    Shutter

So if this keeps up: Every one of us will, by the time we are old, be watching a second or thrid remake of The lord of The Rings, for example. Or remakes of Jaws, Star Wars, Terminator, and so on. Frightening isn`t it?

2. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    Remaking old and (usually) successful movies is hardly anything new. Most people fondly remember Jack Nicholson in The Postman Always Rings Twice or Marlon Brando in Mutiny on the Bounty and consider both movies to be classics. Fewer people remember that both of these movies are remakes of older classics. However there has been a significant shift in trend towards remaking (or "rebooting", as Hollywood loves to call it nowadays) old horror movies. Then again every time I look at new releases in cinemas about half of them turn out to be horror movies, so I'm wondering if it's not simply the market oversaturating with those kinds of movies (a few years ago superheroes and comics got the same treatment). It is still curious that there isn't a single non-horror movie on that list. Then again, Hollywood has been having originality issues for a while now.

3. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

There are only hooror-movies on the list because the forum I found it on was about horror-movies.

4. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

Get Larry the Cable Guy to do the piolitically correct versions of these remakes!

Once upon a time, a village of vertically challenged persons gathered to honour a chronologically advanced, but highly yet equally valued member of the village, in an annual celebration of his chronological advancement. After a meal, this chronologically advanced, vertically challenged person was called on to address the gathered members of society. During the address, it was obvious that he had spent the day becoming sobriety deprived, and he expressed a desire to leave the village, but not due to the fault of any of the persons in attendance. The then slipped on a circular metal band of magical enhancement which rendered him visibility challenged...

Montresor likes this.
  5. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

I would contend that better SPFX technology tempts people to re-make some movies so as to remove the cheesiness factor that comes when watching, say, an old Harryhausen film. A modern Sinbad story could be highly cool!

6. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

Actually the guys at Robot Chicken would do a great job with some of the classics too.

A Claymation classic where Don Corleone makes Dracula an offer he can't refuse...

7. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Some stories are so powerful that some directors and writers cannot resist the opportunity to tell the story "their way." Many Shakespearean stories are like this, though there are others. I can't blame them, really -- I myself would love to be involved in a really bloody version of Macbeth! I'd also like to be in a really good version of something like "Ghandi"

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.