1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Reinstalling GOG BG2 + TOB. Which Mods to add?

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by katylar, Jan 20, 2012.

1. katylar Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Hi. I played both BG2 and TOB way back in 2005, and again around 2 or 3 years ago. I recently got a new PC and some spare time, so I decided to give on my favorite games a whirl. I got the GOG (good old games) version since my new system is a Windows 7 64bit, and I really didn't want to bother with CD's anymore (I used to play on my laptop XP).

Now, I honestly don't know what mods, tweakpacks or fixpacks, not to mention official and unofficial patches should I install (and in what order) in order to get the best playthrough. Of course, I recognize that best is a subjective term, so I'll try to qualify what I mean.

I want it to be a vanilla as possible, with no added NPCs, items or whatnot. No extra quests, too (unless they were meant to be there, but were left unfinished or removed due to Production issues).

However, I do appreciate more character interaction, especially in romances which I follow (Male NPC + Viconia).

I'll also be going for the widescreen mod, as well as anything that would remove the eyesore-effect of the cloak of reflection/mirroring.

Lastly, since I've already finished the original/vanilla TOB, I was hoping to play with those Director-cut mods that I've seen floating around the net. I think it's called Ascension.

Anyway, with these being said, can anyone tell me if my proposed build is possible? And if so, where can I get the best and latest versions of these mods/tweaks?

I'm thinking of something like:
    1. g3 TweakPack and FixPack
    2. Official Patches? How do I know if my GOG version is patched to the latest version before applying the tweak and fix packs?
    3. Widescreen Mod
    4. g3 Romantic Encounters and/or NPC Flirt Pack (will they conflict?)
    5. NPC Banter Pack
    6. Unfinished Business (is this fun?)
    7. Ascension (WeiDu version) + Redemption (good?)
    8. Yoshimo Friendship
    9. TOB Enhancements by David Gaider (Bhaalspawn powers, Tougher Bosses... will this conflict with Ascension?)
    10. Baldurdash ToB and SoA Bugfixes by Kevin Dorner (from http://www.sorcerers.net/Games/BG2/index_mods_hosted_fixes_tweaks.php ; Will these conflict with the g3 Tweak and FixPack?)
    11. FixPacks from Sorcerer's Plane (will these conflict?)

As you can see, I'm really trying to achieve a balance between not modifying the game TOO much, but expanding existing content and playing the most bugfree and optimized version of the game possible.

Any suggestions and comments? Thanks!

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I'm relatively certain that the GOG version is the latest patched, but you can check the game version (IIRC it's listed in-game on the intro screen) and compare it to the patch versions on SP.

Fixpack-wise, the SP fixpack is for SoA only so you shouldn't install that one. Baldurdash also isn't compatible with the newer ones. Here you either have a choice between the newer fixpacks which also come with some controversial "fixes" which are more tweaks in nature or Baldurdash, which gets pretty much the same job done but with far fewer tweaks between the fixes.

There's a small patch to disable to annoying Cloak of Mirroring effect here on SP among the submitted mods. I'll let our other members field the remaining questions.

3. Dr_Asik Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Don't combine fixpacks. G3's seems the most complete and well-tested, but I'm not really that well-versed in the details.

Everything from David Gaider (Ascension, restored Bhaalspawn abilities) is a must. Basically what the game should have been if it didn't allow starting out with a brand new character in ToB.

Unfinished Business - I never tried. I'm quite allergic to fan-made content and there is some in there, even though it is largely based on content found in game files. If I was to venture the way of fan-made content though that's probably the first thing I'd install.

Banter Pack, Flirt Pack, etc. - Fan made content, I disapprove. It's only my opinion of course, but there you have it.

4. Shaitan

Shaitan Always forgive your enemies; it annoys them so

Install the game and patch it.

Then I'd recommend these mods in said order:
    Baldurdash is included into G3 fixpack (there's a new version underway, and a temporary new version for download on G3) so steers away from Baldurdash.

5. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I happen to like Baldurdash and prefer it to other fix packs -- othes fix packs tend to go to far IMO (assuming "preferences" and "bug fixes"). But don't combine fix packs.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.