1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Recommendations, if you will...

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Will, Oct 5, 2001.

1. Will Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

[​IMG] Interested in fantasy imagery/fiction etc. though I am, I have actually read very little fantasy literature. I was wondering if anyone could recommend some fantasy authors/series/individual books that it is worth seeking out? I prefer novels based on deep, well-developed characters to sprawling, grandiose epics and need help seperating the wheat from the chaff, so to speak. My fantasy reading up to the present has consisted of Tolkein's more seminal work (Lord of the Rings, the Hobbit) as well as some of his *ahem* less essential writings (Adventures of Tom Bombadil, anyone? :o). The Silmarillion looks a bit epic for my tastes and I dont really know anything about his other work. I also read some of David Gemmel's Waylander stories which were fun, if a little vacuous and two-dimensional.
    Ive heard good things about R. A. Salvatore and the exploits of Drizzt et al. Any other suggestions?

2. Wildfire Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

The R.A. Salvatore books are good (With one exception. I can't believe they let him kill off Chewbacca in Star Wars :wail: ), but his fantasy novels are good.

I also recently read the Belgariad and the Mallorean by David Eddings, and they were very good, but took a while to ge through (10 books in all). That's all I can think off just now, but it's too early to think now...

[This message has been edited by Wildfire (edited October 05, 2001).]

3. Elendil Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

[​IMG] What? R.A. Salvatore writes SW novels?
    Since when? What's that about Chewbacca?

4. Keep to topic.

I don't know if any of you have heard of Tamora Pierce, but she writes good fantasy novels. Like Wildfire, I suggest R.A. Salvatore too. I also think that Elaine Cunningham and Ed Greenwood have good books.

5. Invoker Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Well, i must say Silmarillion was the best fantasy book i ever read (that's personal opinion of course :) ). but yes, it doesn't get into characters too much.

My suggestion would be the dragonlance twins series (time of the twins/test of the twins etc..) which is also one of my favourites. Although to get into the series you'd probably have to read the chronicles. They're also nice.

6. Kitiara Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

I must fully agree with Invoker, Dragonlance series is a must read!! Start with the first, Dragons of Autumn Twilight.

Wow Taluntain even has a whole page dedicated to it :grin:
    http://www.sorcerers.net/Books/index_dl.php :bigeyes:

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2018
  7. eveningdrive Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

The Drizzt series is great! :D Also, there are a lot (LOTS and LOTS) of books dealing with other heroes and stories about the Forgotten Realms. :)

It might be a "bit epic", but the characters and stories in the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan is great. I believe the characters are well developed.

The Dragonlance series is a no-brainer as well. :)

8. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Actually that's TWO pages Kit. ;)
    That's just page 1.

Anyway, for recommendations, check out http://www.sorcerers.net/Books/index.php and go from there. Lots and lots of good books to chose from. And if you order through the links there, you're eligable for a custom avatar here on the boards. ;)

Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
  9. Satiana Fearbringer Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

IMHO Will, you must read George R.R. Martin's latest series. It starts with A Game of Thrones.

The characters are well developed and the books are huge. A great read if you have some time. :)

10. Will Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

[​IMG] OK, thanks for the help folks. Off to the library/book shop I go...

11. Vermillion Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

[​IMG] David Gemmel's stuff is also worth reading, his Drenai novels seem to be very popular. Although with his earlier stuff the story carries it more, and in later stuff there's a lot more characterisation. For example in Echoes of the Great Song.(Viruk is one of the coolest characters in a book i've read:))
    Druss is probably still best known character though. That's just mysuggestion for an author as others have beat me to others i would mention:). Enjoy the reading.

12. Laches Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

I agree wholeheartedly with Satiana. I've read a lot of fantasy over the years and George RR Martin's current series along with Robert Jordan's are the only ones where I am actually wishing the authors would hurry up and get the next installments out.

Martin's "A Storm of Swords" has the most memorable fight/duel I have ever read -- absolutely incredible. You are emotionally invested in what is happening and the description of the battle itself is masterful. The entire series is worth reading for those few pages. He does a great, great job developing his characters.

Robert Jordan also does a great job developing his characters. Actually, the character development in his Wheel of Time series is deeper than any I've seen but then the thing keeps going and going so he's had plenty of space and time.

Also, Robin Hobb's Assassin series was good. I thought her first two books in the series were good and then it fizzled a bit in the third but still quite good.

Finally, in my humble opinion R.A. Salvatore is vastly overrated. I've read all of the Drizzt books and the Cleric Quintet and would really only recommend his three on the underdark -- not certain to the name but it was Homeland, Exile?, and Sojourn. They can all be entertaining but if you want something with some real meat (character development) I think you're better off looking elsewhere. He may be a good storyteller but not such a great author.

Now I've got to go read Martin again, I'd love to hear if anyone else was as impressed with the fight which I spoke about. Oh yeah, the Hobbit was the first novel I ever read, I begged my parents for a leather bound copy I received for Christmas. I was attracted by some incredible illustrations but quickly fell in love with the writing

[This message has been edited by Laches (edited October 06, 2001).]

13. Worgrim Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Silmarillion is a must read.
    I also though the Dragon Lance books were quite good.
    I suggest you try the Wheel Of Time books by Robert Jordan aswell, as i thought they were quite good.

14. Alyr Arkhon Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

If you want soem "classic" fantasy, read R. E. Feist. There are deep, well developed characters in his books, and an interesting world. I think though that Robin Hobb is a better writter, and she renewed the fantasy litearature in many ways. And I must agree with Laches: Salvatarore isn't that good. He isn't a bad writer, but most of his works are conventional and boring. And of course, read Tolkien!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.