1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Recommend a Fantasy Book

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Matt_Frank, Jun 28, 2002.

1. Matt_Frank Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

New to the fantasy scene, need a good book to read, any recommendations, must haves?

2. christopher_c_pitzer Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Try Elizabeth Haydon's Rhaphsody. There are now three books in the series and they are all great.

3. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

[​IMG] Oh gosh, don't read Rhapsody...they're stuck in a tree 1/3 of the book.

I'd recommend ...

"Game of Thrones"
    "Wizards First Rule" by Terry Goodkind
    "Lord of the Rings" (a classic) By JRR Tolkien
    "The Sword of Shanarra" (another classic) by Terry Brooks
    David Eddings has a great 5 book series called "The Belgariad" ... and that, in my humble opinion, is the best I've read.

Check out http://www.sorcerers.net/Books/index.php for more info ... also, if you buy the books through that link, you'll help keep the site alive!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2017
  4. Matt_Frank Gems: 1/31

thanx a lot i'll look into them, hey what do u think of the wheels of time?

5. Volar Blackmane Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

6. Matt_Frank Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] So far i've read 120 pages of the eyes of the world, and i think it is really really good!!!!!!!

7. Go to amazon.com and you will find many nice books to read.
    Lord of the rings by JRR Tolkien.

8. Matt_Frank Gems: 1/31

yeh, i read LOTR, thats the only fantasy book i read so far

9. Aziraphale Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Go for any of the Terry Pratchett Discworld novels. Mort or Soulmusic are good places to start, and of course Goodomens :)

Pratchett is a Fantasy/Sci-fi master!

10. Vukodlak Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Veteran

I just read Canticle by R.A. Salvatore - first part of the cleric quintet. Very pleased with it so far.

11. Sir Dargorn Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

If you read pratchett it is true you can start anywhere but it is best to start at the beginning. Colour of Magic, light fantastic. Because soem of the later books have joeks in them which are only funny if you have read the previous.

I can't stand it when people start reading whichever title takes their fancy, really bugs me!
    lol me being mad.

12. Matt_Frank Gems: 1/31

i came across some of his material but wasn't sure about it, what is he like, what authors is he similar too, what style

13. Vukodlak Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Veteran

Who? Pratchett? Well, the only other writer I can even compare his style to is Douglas Adams. Terry's books are unique and a great read - but they are not fantasy books in the usual sense of the word. The setting is similar but nothing else is...

OOOK!

14. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
  15. Lithorn Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Try 'Legacy of the Drow' and 'Paths of Darkness' by R.A.Salvatore.

16. Matt_Frank Gems: 1/31

Hey thanks for the advice, i've now read about 360 pages of the eyes of the world and have decided that i love it, its so gripping, i hope these other recomendations are as good, im sure they will be

17. zaknafein Guest

If your gonna read some Drizzt, at least start at the beginning.
    I hear that the Saga of the Exiles is good though I also hear its more sci-fi than fantasy.

18. monkey Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

The following are a bit different from the RA Salvatore and all the other Forgotten Realms stuff (I like them too). There's a lot less magic but they are none the worse for it. If you have a chance check them out.

Kate Elliott's "Crown of Stars" series is brilliant although the fifth and final book has yet to come out (I can't wait!).

I have just finished reading the latest book (not sure when it came out) of George R.R. Martin's "A Song of Ice and Fire" series and they have all been exceptional so far.

The most recent book I've read is Robin Hobb's "Assassin's Apprentice" and I'm on the look out for the rest in the series now.

[This message has been edited by monkey (edited July 07, 2002).]

19. Matt_Frank Gems: 1/31

thanx i will check them out

20. Tesserus Gems: 1/31

I have always disliked Forgotten Realms. I am a big big dragonlance fan. My friend finaly talked me into reading the Forgotten Realms book: Homeland. Well, for someone who hates FR so much, wow. I loved that book. I Recommend it.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.