1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Reaper's Gale!

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Harbourboy, May 1, 2007.

1. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

[​IMG] The new Steven Erikson book, “Reaper’s Gale” is released on 7 May. I can’t wait. Let’s hope Karsa Orlong kicks some serious butt!

The only question is where to buy it from? GBP12 plus delivery from Amazon.co.uk or NZD 46 plus delivery from Fishpond.co.nz.. No point looking on Amazon.com as it will no doubt be 2011 before it is released there.

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Actually, it's supposed to be released on June 26 in the US and Canada. How much is 46 NZD and when will it be released there?

3. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Holy ****! The list price in Canada is $54.95! I have never seen a normal book with a list price anywhere near that high! Even after the usual reductions for best sellers it is $34.45 which would be around the normal list price.

The June 26 release price is what I am seeing from the top Canadian chain bookstore.

4. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I ordered mine today and according to the internet bookstore I used they already had it in stock. Not that I believed them but still. Think I will have to pay around 15€ or so.

5. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Looks like Amazon.co.uk will be the place to get it from. What a crazy world we live when something's price and availability is officially so differengt in each country, but when everyone can just buy it online from wherever is cheapest and fastest.

6. JSBB Gems: 31/31

I tried to buy a copy yesterday. I am over in London right now and all I can find is the bloody trade paperback. There are almost no hard covers available of any books in the stores here. Don't the Brits buy hard covers?

7. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

I saw it in that large format paperback (that i hate) around 2 weeks ago.

8. Harbourboy

Oooh, just got an email from my library today to say that the copy of Reaper's Gale that I requested is now on hold for me. So now I don't need to buy it from anywhere, because the local public library has very efficiently altready bought it! You've got to be happy with that. Reaper's Gale - for free, and only a couple of weeks after being released.

9. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I got it in the big paperback. Do not know why they insist on them. They are a tad cheaper but if I pay up to 20€ for a big clumsy paperback I might as well have paid 30€ for a hardcover.

10. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    Please let us know what you guys think of it. The Bonehunters will be here in September. I finished Midnight Tides a while back and thought it was great. But it seemed to have nothing to do with the previous four books, except for the Crippled God and the Crimson Guard characters, which took up about a whole 20 pages of the entire 600+ page book, although the Crippled God was very much a part of the background regarding the book's events.

11. Latro Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

@Chandos:

As I already wrote somewhere else on this forum 'Midnight Tides' ist 'just' a preparation for 'Reaper's Gale'. And it gives some background information for the latter part of 'The Bonehunters' as well. Without it you won't understand much of RG.
    On the other hand RG is also just another step to the grand finale with the Crippled God. Though there are lots of dead main characters at its end nothing is really solved (or even made much clearer).
    And what's the meaning of 'dead' in an Erikson novel anyway ? ;)

12. joacqin

Media:
    Chandos, a mini review has been posted in the "What book are you reading right now topic".

13. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

It started pretty slowly but I loved Bonehunters. Man, I want to read more about the Crimson Guard, if they're all as bad-ass as Iron Bars, that'd be awesome. I've still gotta wait until they put it into regular paperback format, I can't stand that crappy huge format.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.