1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Re: Lord of the rings?

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Enagonios, Apr 16, 2001.

1. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

[​IMG] Not to sound (what's the word?) illiterate ;p but how many books is the lord of the rings? Is it one BIIIG book, or like 5 books or what? Heard a lot about it of course, but nothing really definite. Hehe Actually "nothing definite" means I heard the name "Gandalf" once or twice.

[This message has been edited by R'syil (edited April 16, 2001).]

2. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    It was originally sold as a trilogy (three books for you illiterates ;) ) "The Fellowship of the Ring", "The Two Towers", and "The Return of the King". These days you can buy a single book that has all three in it.

3. Dudette Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

the single book has exactly 1192 pages including the appendixes. talk about intimadating when i was trying to read it when i was 9...

4. Lord Moeken Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] Don't forget The Hobbit. I know it's not really part of the trilogy, but it is a prelude.

Now for my confession for the day. I still haven't read Lord of the Rings. *Gasp* It's on my bookshelf collecting dust but damn it, I vow to read it before the end of the year. I think I need to go seek some counselling.

5. Shura Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

I bought the Collected edition. Whoa, took me a looong time to read it.

6. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Has anyone read the Silmarillion? Talk about pre-quel's, this one goes back to the formation of the world. It reads the way Gandalf's Bible would read, with old Kings, heros and gods.

Very interesting. It mostly shows how much heart and thought Tolkien put into his world.

Definitely read this last (as it's length and attention to detail may kill you!!! ;))

The Hobbit is a good introduction to Middle-Earth, and the 3 books in the Lord of the Rings will be a good follow-up.

If you can't wade through the books, try these books on tape. As I've said before, these stories are based on folk lore, and meant to be TOLD, even SUNG sometimes. IMHO, Listening to them will add new dimensions to the text.

7. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Definitely read the Silmarillion AFTER reading Lord of the Rings. It won't make much sense otherwise. (Slappy, could you look up a previous topic that we had on this subject in Whatnots and post a link to it? ;) )

As for the full one-volume book of Lord of the Rings... There are two editions of that currently. The one I have with the mostly green cover page with Gandalf on it has about 1150 pages with maps included. There was a brand new version recently released in the USA though, which is also different but includes the whole thing.

Check out http://www.sorcerers.net/Books/index_tolk.php for more info.

[This message has been edited by Taluntain (edited April 16, 2001).]

Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
  8. Sniper Gems: 28/31

I've got the trilogy...
    And if anyone hasn't read the Lord of the Rings and is thinking of doing so then make sure you read The Hobbit first to get the background to the whole plot.

9. Voltric Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] I'm with Tal, don't read the Silmarillion until you have finished the 3 LotR books. I think the Hobbit is a good intro and not a hard read, but for a really dense read try the Unfinished Tales. Now that is like a text book on Middle Earth. I'm into details but fantasy read should not be painful...

10. Mathetais Gems: 28/31

For Christmas last year, I received a collectors' edition of the Simarillion. The art work was fantastic, but it is still painful to read!

11. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] I agree with the group:

Go with thr Hobbit first, then Lord of the Rings, then Simarillion!

Good flow that way.

12. Avarahtar Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Has anyone read the two epic poems Tolkien wrote? The 4000 and 6000 line ones?

13. BogiTheWaverer Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

[​IMG] Don't forget the biography by Humphrey Carpenter. There you can read how possessed this man worked on details of his world.

14. Sapiryl Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I couldn't get through the Silmarillion, it read too much like a history book. :(

15. Modjahed Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Defnitely Silmarillion doesn't read like a comics.
    Read LOTR, then The Hobbit, then Silmarillion, then after about a year's break I took ALL Middlearth books and read them through:
    1) Silmarillion
    2) Hobbit
    3) LOTR
    4) Ring of Darkness (sequel by Perumov - Rusian writer).

It was a best read ever. The second best was reading all Asimov's Foundation Sagas in one go, and the third one was Harrisson's Stainless Steel Rat.
    When I want to read smth I go to one of my friends: he used to spend all his spare money (for 5 years) on good books. I come to his place with a large bag and say smth like this: "Give me Dave Duncan" and take smth like 7 books :D

16. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Yea, Carpenter's biography is a definitely a must too. Excellent book.

17. hooligan_inc Guest

i read the first part of the trilogy and I am trying to find the other two - can U still buy em seperately?

18. BogiTheWaverer Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Yep, but at the time the paperback is in reprint (don't know the right term) and hard to get.

19. Taluntain

Media:
    hool, check the link I posted above. You can get them all separately at Amazon if you want.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.