1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Rapiers and daggers.

Discussion in 'Dungeons & Dragons + Other RPGs' started by fade, Sep 12, 2003.

1. fade Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

When duel-weilding a rapier and a dagger should that provide a bonus to your AC?

I wonder this because when the use a rapiers was common(aka musketeers) they often used a dagger along with the rapier. They used the dagger as a method of defense. They could block thrusts with the dagger and send one in return with their own rapier. I just wanted everyone's thoughts on this.

:D

2. BigStick Gems: 13/31

No. The dagger could (was?) also be used as another attack. The benefits of using your weapon(s) for defense is already figured into the much simplified value that is your character's hitpoints.

3. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

There is a feat in both the FRCS and 3.5E that can give this bonus. I have no idea if they are the same feat or not.

That asides, there's always fighting defensively and Expertise.

4. rastilin Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Hitpoints? I think you meant AC, I hope you meant AC.

5. Shura Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Get the off-hand parry feat. It allows you to add a +2AC bonus when using your off-hand weapon. This AC bonus also stacks with a buckler and any defensive bonuses that weapon might have. Of course, you cannot use that off-hand weapon to attack during the turn you declare you're using the off-hand parry feat.

Like Oaz said, it's in FRCS and in PHB3.5.

Yes, I'm a D&D geek. :(

6. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    There are some such feats on the web. Just enter the right keywords (d&d, feats etc) in Google or Kazaa. You may also check if learning to attack with shield off-hand isn't more profitable.

7. Firestorm

Firestorm Beeep, Beeep, ERROR Veteran

There is quite a difference betweem the one in the FRCS and the one in the 3.5 PHB.
    The one in FR is called Twin Sword Style and gave a +2 dodge bonus to AC, without the need to sacrifice any attacks.
    And the one in the PHB is called Two-Weapon Defense, and only grants a +1 shield bonus. So, there you have it.

8. BigStick Gems: 13/31

Nope, I meant hitpoints. You think that becoming more proficient at your profession(s) will make you able to take 20 times as much damage if you just stand there? Hitpoints go up as much as they do partially because of the character's increased ability to defend him/herself.

9. Gothmog

Gothmog Man, a curious beast indeed! ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

These HPs were always a bit strange stuff to me. It just isnt logical or either realistical for one guy, just becouse he did someone a favour(errant quest) to survive a sword hit most people dont.

BigSticks explanation seems quite nice to me :)

How do you view HPs? :confused:

10. Lokken Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Veteran

the definition of HP from the 3e handbook.

HP are NOT a scale of how tough you are to survive getting hit. (of course it partially depends on it, but it's far from the main factor. This is the factor of dice HP vs con HP I think)

What HP actually are, is a scale of how good you are to avert being critically struck (not as in critical hits, but as in hurts like hell).

A level 1 fighter gets hit by an attack, he's not very experienced, and when hit, he's usually hit hard.

A level 10 fighter is hit, however he might know how to twist himself against or from the blade so it wont hurt as much.

so a hit that hits both, might hit the level 1 in the chest or shoulder, while the level 10 manages to dodge it so it only scars his chest, thigh as he tries to press the sword down.

use your imagination when fighting and remember the more hp a character, the less he's actually hurt (as in term of well placed hit) on a hit.

11. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

What Lokken said, except that HP can also represent favor by powerful beings or very strong willpower. When a 12th-level cleric walks out from a fireball relatively safe, you'll have a hard time convincing others that no one out there is looking out for him.

HP and AC have blurry lines. A fighter getting hit by an arrow might happen to just dodge it well enough so it grazes him, representing high HP. But if he can dodge arrows well, doesn't it mean he should have a high dexterity or whatnot as well? It can get a bit confusing, which is why the simple and abstract HP system is so nice.

12. Voltric Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] In addition as a reflection of HPs and AC, having one increase and not the other does twist things a bit. BAB and HPs go up with level but not AC. Why would a 10th level fight not be better at defending himself than a 1st level bard. I agree that HPs do account for some of this but our group using a defense bonus in addition. Warrior types, fighter, rangers, paladins, barbarains, etc gain a +1 to AC every 2 levels. Clerics, bards, rogues, and druids get +1 every 3 levels. Wizards and sorcerers get +1 every 3 levels. Multi-class character can add different types together. This system appears to work very well for our group.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.