1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Ranger rewrite, what ya think?

Discussion in 'Dungeons & Dragons + Other RPGs' started by Lokken, Nov 21, 2002.

1. Lokken Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Veteran

Hey, not finding any rangers that I really approve of, I tried making my own. What ya think?
    Was debating skills 4+int vs 6+int, still not sure though. So far it's 6+int since no spells.

Proficient with simple and martial weapons, and light and medium armor.

BAB: As fighter
    HD: 1d8
    Saves: Good Fort & Ref, Bad Will
    Skills: 6 + Int
    Skill list as Ranger in PHB.
    No Spells.

Special:
    1:1st Favored Enemy or Terrain, Track
    2:Bonus Feat
    3:Fast Track
    4:Animal Companion
    5:2nd Favored Enemy or Terrain
    6:
    7:Bonus Feat
    8:Trackless Step
    9:
    0:3rd Favored Enemy or Terrain
    1:
    2:Bonus Feat
    3:
    4:Woodland Stride
    5:4th Favored Enemy or Terrain
    6:
    7:Bonus Feat
    8:
    9:Elemental Resistance 5
    0:5th Favored Enemy or Terrain

Favored Enemy or Terrain functions as normal. Effects stack if fighting your favored enemy on a favored terrain.

Fast Track lets you track at full speed.

Animal Companion, Trackless Step & Woodland Stride as druid.

Elemental Resistance 5 (Ex): Gains resistance 5 against acid/cold/electricity/fire/sonic (natural and magical).

Feat List:
    Alertness, Ambidexterity, Blind-Fight, Combat Reflexes, Dodge (Mobility, Spring Attack), Exotic Weapon Proficiency, Expertise (Improved Disarm, Improved Trip,Whirlwind Attack), Mounted Combat (Mounted Archery, Trample, Ride-By Attack, Spirited Charge), Point Blank Shot (Far Shot, Precise Shot, Rapid Shot, Shot on the Run), Skill Focus (any class skill), Quick Draw, Two-Weapon Fighting (Improved Two-Weapon Fighting), Weapon Finesse*, and Weapon Focus*.

2. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

It probably seems a bit rogue-oriented for most players, and it's not likely this ranger could take down that ranging ogre as well as the standard ranger probably could. However, it does make a good mix of fighter and rogue elements, with a few druid qualities. However, the elemental resistance doesn't seem very ranger-ish (seeing as how it is nature-oriented, but then druids should probably have that naturally). I especially like the fact that there's no more Ambidexterity/Two-weapon fighting feats; I always thought it was peculiar that all rangers were skilled in fighting with two weapons. It seems like an interesting play all in all. :)

3. Capstone Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

[​IMG] Seems to me to be far more like a true ranger than the 3E version. I don't know about the resistances either; maybe something more like natural resistances to cold and fire, but greater than 5. (no resistance to magical)

4. Lokken Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Veteran

well thing about 3e is that natural and magical effects aren't divided anymore. If you got resistance to one of them you got to the other as well :)

My idea of the ranger is the tracker in the wilds, hiding in bushes etc.

And the dual-wielding nonsense is available if you want it, but not limited to it ;)

5. Capstone Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

6. Amorphous Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I definately agree that they shouldn't be tied o dual-wielding. I personally think you should give them some variants of rogue-like abiliies, like say.. the ability to have free us eof uncanny dodge against their favoured enemies and on their favoured terrain.

I also think that the whole favoured enermy thing isn't all that well done, its too situational. I like the idea of favoured terrain, it help you adapt your ranger to the campaign that he/she is playing in.

7. Mithrandir Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

I think that a ranger sohuld get a bonus to Hide and Move Silently checks when in the wilderness.

8. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Given Lokken's idea of having Favored Terrain, I think that it is logical to apply Hide and Move Silenty bonuses in that Terrain, as well as things like Wilderness Lore and Search.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.