1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Ranged weapon attack and damage bonus... help!

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights (Classic)' started by Vernye, Jul 3, 2002.

1. Vernye Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] Can someone enlighten me as to how exactly are the attack and damage bonus calculated for ranged weapons? Specifically I would like to know which ability modifier is involved in calculating the bonus:

-- Bows --
    Attack Bonus: DEX (?)
    Damage Bonus: STR

-- Crossbows --
    Attack Bonus: DEX
    Damage Bonus: None (?)

-- Bows with Weapon Finesse --
    Damage Bonus: ?

-- Crowssbows with Weapon Finesse --
    Damage Bonus: ?

I am also quite confused as to what the "attack bonus" field in the character sheet refers to. I have a level 5 elf wizard with 16 dex and point blank shot feat. My attack bonus with a bow, therefore, should be +5 (BAB + dex). In the character sheet, however, it shows +4. BUT, when I actually use the bow in combat, I noticed that the attack rolls (as shown in the chat window) get +3, +7 or +8 bonus (almost seemingly randomly)... how did these bonus come about?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

[This message has been edited by Vernye (edited July 03, 2002).]

2. Gnolyn Lochbreaker Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

All range attacks are affected primarily by Dexterity, your BAB, size and range penalty. Strength bonuses generally do not apply to bows or crossbows except for certain composite longbows and shortbows. The item description would tell you if it does, and to what degree. For thrown weapons (darts, shuriken, throwing axes) you add your strength bonus for damage only.

For your character specifically, a 5th level wizard has a BAB of +2 and with a Dex of 16 you should have a +3 bonus, giving you a ranged attack of +5. The Point Blank Shot feat only takes effect when you are attacking an enemy within 30 feet (+1 to attack and +1 to damage). However, there are other modifiers that might be in effect. Mostly these will happen during combat (e.g., range penalties, hinderances to your abilities, hinderances to your opponents, etc). At a quick look your BAB shown in the character sheet should read +5 for a range weapon, but there may be some modifiers I'm forgetting that would affect it directly.

3. Vernye Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I see. Thanks a lot! :)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.