1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Range of Gnoll attacks? (BGT)

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Parvini, Apr 25, 2015.

1. Parvini Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

I've been playing on a fresh install of BGT recently, and the Gnolls in the Gnoll Stronghold seem to be able to attack from half the screen away with their halberds.

Is this regular behaviour? Has anyone else experienced this? How much range is a gnoll meant to have on his regular attack. Seems weird, but it's wiping out my level 1 party and making this much harder than it should be!

EDIT: Gosh, I first joined this place 14 years ago!!! Time flies huh.

2. Keneth Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    Unless you're playing the game on your pager, I'd say half a screen is slightly too much.

I'd point my finger at BGT since I've never liked it, but I doubt such an obvious bug would have been overlooked, nor do I see any reason why their weapons would have been modified.

I would assume there was either an error during installation and you have some corrupted files or you've encountered some weird glitch. Have you tried exiting the game and loading it up again? How about leaving the map and coming back? And just for kicks, take one of the halberds they drop, and try using it yourself to see if you can attack from half a screen away too.

(Why are you taking on gnolls at lvl1 anyway?)

3. ConjurerDragon

ConjurerDragon Ich dien ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    When I first entered the Gnoll Stronghold (back in the original Baldurs Gate) I found it to be difficult to survive, reloaded an earlier save and came back only when my party was around 3rd level. :o
    On youtube is a playthrough in which the characters are higher than 1st level too, so they don´t die from one hit with a halberd:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2015
  4. damedog Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Resourceful Veteran

I recall screwy things like that happening when BGT or any mods were installed incorrectly or in the wrong directory.

5. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    I'm usually close to level 2 by the time I finish Candlekeep. If not, by the time I get to the Friendly Arms Inn to meet up with Khalid and Jaheira. Certainly by the time I reach the Gnoll stronghold.

So I'm somewhat mystified at him being only level 1. Did he skip all the quests in Candlekeep and go directly there?

BTW, as for fighting gnolls at level 1, IIRC, you could encounter gnolls at level 2 in the original Pool of Radiance [Gold Box] game. I think they were in the area right after the Slums, assuming you didn't goto Sokol Keep first. Maybe I'm remembering wrong and they were kobolds, but I could swear there were some gnolls in those areas immediately past the slums. I haven't played PoR1 since at least 2008 when I retired my Apple IIGS, probably much longer.
    In any case, Sleep was still extremely powerful in that game and made the encounter survivable. Even if it was only half as effective as it was against goblins and kobolds.
    If the OP had just come from playing that game and was new to BG, he might have been of a similar mindset on what was appropriate to take on.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.