1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Random Music Babbling Post #4

Discussion in 'Sensorium' started by Beren, Sep 7, 2006.

1. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

There's a guy in front of me in one of my classes who always has a shirt on that says something like "Tour of the Thundergod or something." So... I'm going to assume that is Amon Amarth... nice to know, lol.

I'm listening to more country again... but to keep some dignity it isn't shitkicker country. When it is all you can listen to for eight hours a day (as it was this summer) it either grows on you, or makes you hate it more.

It grew,

2. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

Whoa, we played Hatebreed's Final Prayer a tidbit faster with death vocals, and DAMN, that sounds GOOD!

3. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

Anyone into Doom Metal? Or at least the death-doom/gothic-doom variants? Like... Katatonia, Paradise Lost, Anathema, November's Doom, Novembre, etc?

4. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31

Veteran

Chinese Democracy is out on myspace... weak.

5. Disciple of The Watch

GAH! How could you forget The Sins of Thy Beloved and Theatre of Tragedy?!?

6. The Magister Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    I've been listening to a lot of game music recently. Specifically a lot of Frank Klepacki.

7. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

Haha DotW, I haven't heard of them, I will check them out.

8. Disciple of The Watch

Rule of thumb for both - the old stuff is the best. The first two ToT albums are simply amazing, same for TSoTB's first.

9. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    Thread revival!

I've been really getting into Saint-Säens. His Danse Macabre led me into the classical world; which lead me to me buying a CD. Samson et Delilia (which I'm listening to now) is absolutely fantastic and is the most-played song on my iPod. It's just so elegant yet wild (a controlled aggression) at the same time. I didn't think much of his No. 3 Organ when I first listened to it, but the main melody has been stuck in my head for ages, and now I think it's glorious (though the Ormandy version is a bit too...artificial?). And I've just finished listening properly to his Piano Concerto No. 2, and...wow.

Really, that tricky French guy has a way of worming into your head and sneaking up on you when you least expect it. His stuff might not be as lush as Beethoven or as insane as Liszt, but it's great nontheless.

Chandos the Red likes this.
  10. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    DM - The only piece I'm familiar with is the Organ Symphony (No. 3). It's incredibly powerful, IMHO. I've not heard the piano concerto, nor any of the other works you listed, but I will try to check them out. One of my favorite piano concertos is the one in A minor, by Robert Schumann.

11. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    @ Chandos: I like the melody of the Organ, but it's just not very powerful to me. I think it may be the quality of the recording rather than the music itself, though. The organ in my isn't very...organy.

Samson et Delilia is an opera, apparently. The piece I'm referring to is called Bacchnale. You can probably find them all on youtube - I would recommend Danse Macabre first, as it's incredibly catchy.

I haven't heard the Schumann concerto, but I'll check it out. My university library recently put their entire music collection out (before you had to go up to the desk and ask for it), which means that with my new laptop it's very simple to...enjoy music. :)

Anything else you can suggest? I'm rather new at this classical waffle.

12. Chandos the Red

Media:
    DM - I also like "Pictures at an Exhibition," A Night on Bare Mountain, and if you like opera, "Boris Godunov," by Mussorgsky. Also, if you have not already heard "Symphony Fantastique" and the "Damnation of Faust," by Berlioz, they are very good, IMO. Another of my favorites is Rachmaninoff, and you may find "Piano Concerto #2," "The Isle of the Dead," and "Symphonic Dances" interesting as well. All the above are very dramatic pieces, and some are downright theatrical.

Oh, and how can I forget Igor Stravinsky? Try "The Rite of Spring," (which is completely outrageous), and "The Firebird." Great stuff. :)

Deathmage likes this.
  13. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    Ah. I have Pictures at an Exhibition and Night on Bald Mountain, but that came in a double-CD with Rimsky-Korsakov's Scheherazade, and I have been rather more taken with the latter. It is, incidentally, amazing, and you should try it if you haven't already.

I've heard bits of the Fantisque - the granddaddy of symphonic poems, yes? I shall give it a proper try when I can.

Rach, yes, Rach - I've been looking for his Isle of the Dead. Got his Piano Concerto #2, love the first movement. Does the opening sound suspiciously similiar to Liszt's Hungarian Rhapsody #2 to you? Symphonic Dances I haven't tried, but will.

Haven't heard Rites of Spring, but I'm impressed by Firebird through Fantasia 2000. Good stuff. I suspect opera isn't really my thing, though I do enjoy musicals...

14. Chandos the Red

Media:
    DM - Rach's Symphonic Dances:

IMO, it's a really nice piece.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2015
  15. Susipaisti

Susipaisti Maybe if I just sleep... Veteran

The new Heaven & Hell record is amazing.

16. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31

Veteran

Summer means you can find me cleaning apartments... and because I live in a small town it means that my coworkers all listen to country music. As such, I have sufficiently memorized almost all the new songs. Sad.

17. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    I can't get this song out of my head, although you may have to be a geezer to remember it.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2015
  18. Chandos the Red

Media:
    Is there still such a thing, CiG? The only CM I hear these days sounds like warmed over FM Rock from the 70s, played by good ole' boys from the corner truck stop. I mean FM rock was bad enough...unless its Boston.

19. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31

Veteran

Well I can say that when I go with the carpet cleaner he listens to old school country... "classic country" with the original Hank Williams and that sort of stuff. I'm partial to some of Kenny Rogers stuff, and a little more, but not a fan of that in general.

Today's stuff, is definitely an evolved (for better or worse) version of that. And yes, most of it is like a rock or pop fusion with country. I'm not big on the honky-tonk country, so a little variety is nice... Still don't really like the genre though :p

20. Chandos the Red

Media:
    CiG - As a genre, country presents interesting possibilities, as proven by recordings like Bob Dylan's "John Wesley Harding," Neil Young's "Harvest" and the Grateful Dead's "American Beauty." But I would suppose that afficionatos of the genre may not consider any of the above to be country.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.