1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Random MMA (UFC/Bodog/K-1/TKO/EliteXC/Cage Rage/King of The Cage, etc.) babbling

Discussion in 'Colosseum' started by Disciple of The Watch, Feb 7, 2008.

1. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

Since this doesen't really fit in the wrestling thread, thought I'd open up a thread about MMA.

UFC 81 was a pretty good PPV. Brock Lesnar has his much hyped debut. He tapped out to a knee bar at 1:30 in the first round. Despite that, it was a good fight - Brock was very aggressive and gave Mir quite a run for his money.

Despite the tapout loss, I think Lesnar has a bright future in MMA. He needs time to hone his skills and technique, and I can tell he will eventually be a contender to the Heavyweight title.

I'm disappointed that Tim Sylvia tapped out, but it nonthtless remained a solid match.

I've also watched a few old UFCs featuring the Ice Man, and I'm pretty impressed. He was able to avenge two of his three losses in MMA, but came up short against Rampage Jackson. His match against Keith Jardine was unbelievable. Despite the fact Jardine won by a split decision, I think he's got some serious future in UFC.

I'm more of a UFC fan, but TKO also is pretty solid stuff. Cage Rage is good too, though I can't stand the commentator's British accent.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2008
  2. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

I don't get to see as much MMA as I'd like. I'm usually online when it's on, so my attention is on the Computer for the most part...

3. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I am philosophically and morally against any kind of martial arts, prize fighting and other stuff and find it silly and stupid to the extreme.

I just cant help myself from being completely mesmerized by MMA. They are showing quite a lot over here, often with a few days or a weeks delay but it is just plain entertainment. I just saw a re-run of the Lesner/Mir fight and I cant say I was surprised. If you are weak at your ju-jitsu you are going to lose. The only way to be able to not do ju-jitsu is to be really good at it so you can defend against it. Chuck Liddle almost never wrestled, basically impossible to take down. You cannot neglect any part of MMO, if you are weak in boxing you are going to get knocked out, if you are weak at wrestling you will find yourself flat on your back in no time, if you are weak in thai boxing you will get kneed in the face and if you are weak in ji-jutsu someone will break your arm or leg. I think it is the complexity that makes me find it so interesting despite my brain telling me it is brutal, silly and should be illegal.

4. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    This past Saturday I watched two fights on HBO and it is remarkable how boring boxing is in comparison to MMA. Nowadays almost every boxing match goes to the scorecards and there is a lot open to discussion on who wins. In MMA it is always clear who wins and they almost never go to the scorecards. I don't see how boxing is going to survive.

5. Disciple of The Watch

MMA matches sometimes are sometimes won and lost by split or unanimous decision, based on many criterias: octogon control, aggressivity, technicality. It's always better to see a good match end via a TKO or a submission, though.

Lesnar/Mir was a GREAT fight - Brock was giving Mir quite a run for his money, but Lesnar made a beginner's mistake which cost him. As I've said before, Lesnar needs time to hone his skills, and with enough experience under his belt, he will become a force to be reckoned with.

Chuck Liddel is an awesome fighter. GSP deserves a special mention too.

6. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Well, I've just noticed that Kimbo Slice has joined the UFC MMA. Wow, big deal, he dominated a fat 40+ year old in Tank Abbott. I can't wait till a decent fighter puts him out. Lenny McLean would have ripped his head off, now he was one double hard bastard.

The best fighter in the world right now by a country mile is Fedor. I wish the UFC crowd would stop crying about him not joining UFC. He's exactly where he should be in M-1. He's beaten most of the UFC HW's anyway, including the current champ. He'd get nothing out of the UFC, he's the best!

7. Disciple of The Watch

I finally got to see the whole UFC81 PPV, and I saw the Lesnar/Mir fight.

Lesnar was litteraly eating Mir - Mir had to call for a timeout 30 seconds into the match. Lesnar pounded the s*** out of Frank Mir so bad Mir was busted open.

Getting caught in the knee bar was a beginner's mistake. With sufficent experience under his belt, Lesnar will become a very serious threat in the whole UFC. The guy is a future UFC Heavyweight Champ, mark my words.

*EDIT* Lesnar will have another match at the yet unnamed UFC PPV in August.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2008
  8. Disciple of The Watch

I caught a Japanese MMA show on Fight the other day, and I happened to catch the main event, which featured Fedor Emilianenko. I have to hand it out to Barms - Fedor is indeed an impressive fighter. He reversed a takedown into a picture-perfect armbar to make the other guy tap out like a little girl.

I also have to agree UFC would be a waste of time for Fedor. From what I've seen, he's right at home in M-1, and in Japan.

Lesnar has his second fight in UFC this Saturday, and he's facing Heath Hearring (or something like that), so he sure as hell has his work cut out for him. If Lesnar loses this one, UFC could can him. It would be a shame, the guy has much potential.

9. martaug Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Disciple, Fedor is in donald trumps Affliction MMA organization now. They just signed chris horodecki from the IFL & also have the IFL heavyweight champ roy"big country" nelson.
    They also are apparently going to announce that Tito Ortiz has just signed with them sometime this week & that his first opponent will be Renato "Babalu" Sobral.

10. Disciple of The Watch

Hmm... so Affliction belongs to Trump. Well, I can tell you this - I caught Affliction's "Banned" PPV, and it was pretty darn good stuff. I actually liked Affliction better than UFC. Banned was a solid PPV, and I'm looking forward to see what the future holds for Affliction.

I suspected Fedor's match at Banned meant he was officially a part of Affliction... and the official website does clearly shows "M-1" over a flag.

11. martaug Gems: 23/31

Yep, unfortunately he(Fedor) is said to be injured & is going to miss the next PPV.

12. Gnarfflinger

I heard about it. The reason they called it "Banned" is because most of the fighters on the card had run afoul with Dana White...

13. Disciple of The Watch

Ha, well, if running afoul with Dana White is the only way to get a significantly better MMA promotion than UFC, then I'm all for it.

Hell, they got the Maine-iac Sylvia and Fedor, so why should anyone bother with UFC anymore?

*EDIT* Now that I think about it, the PPV's name could also come from the fact UFC banned all it's fighters from wearing Affliction clothing after Affliction thought about becoming a MMA promotion.

*EDIT2* I caught a segment on Fight about Affliction's next PPV - it's called Day of Reckoning, and supposed to take place in late October. I haven't seen the card, but by October, hopefully Fedor will be cleared to compete.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2008
  14. martaug Gems: 23/31

Well brock lesnar won his bout & made a point at the same time.
    He didn't just beat herring, he administered a severe beat-down to him.
    It actually looked like he backed off a couple times to keep the match from ending in a TKO & basically just used him(herring) as a training dummy.

15. Disciple of The Watch

Remember what I said - Lesnar is a future Heavyweight champ, and his match tonight was a pretty darn impressive proof of that. He needed to be agressive, but not reckless, and this is exactly what he has done.

16. Disciple of The Watch

It looks like Fedor injured his hand when beating the living hell out of Tim Sylvia at Banned...

17. Disciple of The Watch

Ah-ha! Rememebr my prediction about Brock Lesnar getting a Heavyweight title shot? There will be two matches to determine who will square off for the Heavyweight title - Lesnar vs Couture has been announced. Couture is gonna get killed.

And Affliction's next PPV has been postponed to January. My guess is they want Emilianenko to be 100% so they can include him on the card. It sucks that the PPV got postponed, but the possibility of a Fedor match is a pretty damn good tradeoff.

18. Gnarfflinger

Also, I heard reports last week that former UFC Champ, Evan Tanner was found dead on a camping trip last week. No word yet on the cause of death. He was 37...

When a Professional wrestler dies like that, the immediate speculation links it to steroids...

19. martaug Gems: 23/31

The reports say that his bike ran out of gas & he had drank all of his water in anticipation of wet springs to refill at, they were dry. He apparently tried to walk back to camp & succumbed to the elements. The reported high temp that day was 118F.

20. Disciple of The Watch

Brock Lesnar just KILLED Randy Couture for the Heavyweight Championship!

Damn glad to see I was right.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.