1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Random freezing and restarts

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by reepnorp, Oct 11, 2004.

1. reepnorp

reepnorp Lim'n Lime Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    For some reason one of my PCs will randomly restart. No indication, but I'll be doing something standard, things ranging from small things like clicking, or something larger like opening a program, and it will just reset. And sometimes when I boot up this computer as it does the typical startup things in Windows it freezes.

2. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Doesn't sound good. The standard answer you'll get around here is: don't use Microsoft. But as that is usually not an option, all I can suggest is:
    - get some spyware / virus checkers to clear-up any viruses and other insidious malware from your drives ( I once had a virus that made my PC shutdown)
    - get some sort of clean-up utility that deletes other unnecessary junk from your drives
    - uninstall any appliactions you no longer use
    - if none of that works then you'd be well advised to reinstall your whole system (sometimes that is the easiest approach as it almost guarantees a clean smooth-running system)
    - if that doesn't work, buy a new PC.

3. Rednik Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Defective memory?

I had a case of that, but it would only crash during something system intensive, like a game. Otherwise, I could listen to music and type without problems. But the second I turned on a game, it would either reboot or crash to the blue screen of death.

DL Memtest86 and see how your RAM is.

4. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    @Harbourboy: option #4 seems a bit extreme :)

If you can get into Windows and have it work for long enough, try using Restore to go to an older state. It might be something got messed up at some point, and if that's the case Restore can return things to the normal state.

A format followed by a clean install will usually take care of any software problems. Just make sure to back up everything first!

5. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Before you reinstall your system, make sure you have your driver CDs around. Sounds silly, I know, but you don't want to find yourself with a clean install and no drivers. Trust me, you don't...

Restore is a good option, so long as you have it turned on and not everyone has. If you end up formating, make sure you enable it after installing the system.

Apart from usual software mess, it can be feeder problems or a faulty motherboard. But more likely your feeder needs replacing. Check system temperature if your BIOS allows. If it's suspiciously big, maybe replacing the cooller will be enough.

6. Lazy Bonzo Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

If you use memory test 86 and it all passes fine does this guarantee that the problem isn't your RAM? Only I have similiar problems and memtest passed everything through...

7. Rednik Gems: 21/31

I would say so, as memtest86 is quite thourough.

If you're using WinXp, System Restore is also an option.

EDIT: I also heard another way to test is to download Prime95 and put it through "Torture Test" mode.

8. Lazy Bonzo Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Does Prime95 test ram or everything? Website?

9. Rednik Gems: 21/31

10. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Random restarts almost always indicate a problem with the power supply. Your power supply could be too old or too feeble to cope with everything you've got in your box, or simply defective. So that's the first thing you should be looking at.

11. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    I can't believe that no one has suggested that is most likely a HEAT problem! :bang: :bang: :bang:

Check your CPU fan and make sure it's working, and while your at it, use a can of compressed air (like Endust for Electronics' 'Duster') and clean out the dust on your CPU's heatsink as well as anywhere else dust has collected!

If you ever have random restarts always start by checking for a heat problem. ALWAYS! :rolling:

12. reepnorp

reepnorp Lim'n Lime Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Thanks for all the replies, I'll try some of this the next time I get a chance!

13. Kitrax

Media:
    @reepnorp: Since you live in Canada I'd recomend you waterproof your computer case and keep it outside...that way the temp. never raises above normal! :rolling:

14. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Power supply

15. Kitrax

Media:
    @Sarevok: are you sure about that?

In my experience in my MS Networking class a dying power supply usually isn't responsible for system freezes as reepnorp says at the end of the first post.

A new fan is a lot less expensive than a new PSU...if you have an old one that you know still works then switch them out to find out if it is the PSU.

A rule of thumb for all of you guys, always start with the smallest and easiest possible answer to a problem and then work up from there. Don't start somewhere high up on the list of possible suspects (like the RAM)...you'll end up spending too much money, and wasted time. :rolling:

16. Yirimyah Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

/me gabbles insanely for ages about MS Office and lost CDKeys
    @Kitrax: Last night it was so hot in australia that my fan was running at maximum power just on desktop, while Windows Task Manager said I was using 1% of processing power... I hate global warming!!!!

17. Kitrax

Media:
    @Yirimyah: I'd recomend a liquid Nitrogen kit for your computer then...either that or a different country to live in. :rolling:

18. Tiberius Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Kitrax is right, in my experience in networking, the problem of overheating and random restarts go hand in hand. and the cost of a fan is much less than a pc. Clean out the dust and crap and make sure the vents on the side or back of the PC are clear of debris and there is nothing blockin them as well. Alot of people hide their pc in a compartment in their desk where there is not alot of circulation and the heat builds up real quick.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.