1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

RAM question?

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Brallrock, Nov 27, 2007.

1. Brallrock Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

[​IMG] Hey all, I am planning on getting new RAM for my PC, and I looked it up and my MB is capable of running PC4200 and PC 6400 RAM. It has 2 512 sticks of PC 4200 in it right now. My question is what would give me more performance boost, adding 2 1gb sticks of PC 4200, or ditching the origional RAM and dropping in 2 x1 gb sticks of PC 6400? Money is not a consideration in this, performance only as the difference is only about $20.

2. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    So let me see if I understand you.

Scenario #1:
    Keep the 2 512MB sticks of PC 4200 and then get a pair of 1GB sticks of the same type for a total of 3GB.

Scenario #2:
    Loose the 2 512MB sticks of PC 4200 and then get a pair of 1GB sticks of PC 6400 for a total of 2GB.

Hmmm...For Scenario #1, you'd have 2 sets of dual channel bandwidth along with an extra gig of RAM...but PC 4200 has a peak transfer rate of 4264 MB/s while PC 6400 has a rate of 6400 MB/s.

While I'm not 100% sure, I think getting the 2 1GB sticks of PC 6400 will perform better. If you're running XP, you probably won't notice the difference between 2GB and 3GB of RAM anyway. :rolling:

3. Stu Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Gee tough call - I think I'll have to agree with Kitrax, you're unlikely to be utilizing more than 2gb of ram under windows XP, so you'll likely benefit from the speed increase, regardless of how esoteric it might be in most situations, without any loss from not having enough ram.

4. Brallrock Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Yes Kitrax, you understood perfectly, so you say ditch the 4200 and go with 2 gigs of 6400. I thought I may get more performance that way, and it leaves me open to go up to 4gig if I ever choose to run the Vista Home Premium that came with this PC. The price is only $20 difference from Crucial, and always free shipping too. Thanks guys for the help!

5. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    This is mostly intuition, but I also think between 2 and 3 GB RAM the difference is not as much as between the speeds. It's not like the speed of the RAM makes such a huge difference, either, however. While some high RAM capacities aren't used, so peak transfer rates don't come into play so often. All in all, though, I'd say go for faster RAM.

Ah, and MHz is not everything. Chips with the same frequency can have different latency figures (CL). Go for the lowest CL you can unless it means overpaying a lot.

6. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Right, right and rigth. Fast memory will be slown down by the weakest dimm's.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.