1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Raising Dead

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by Capt Massacre, Oct 1, 2004.

1. Capt Massacre Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I'm in a BG1 game right now, and Jaheira died because of the damn serens.
    I don't see somebody fit to replace her, so I intend to raise her in a temple, which will cost 400 gp.
    Now, could it be considered cheesy, cheap, to do this? I don't think so, but am in doubt.

2. Nightal Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Cheap??

Of course not, it is just part of the game,

finding this cheap is like finding it cheap to use Magic Missle..

3. Takara

Takara My goodness! I see turnips everywhere

Media:
    I'd say it is about as cheesy as having a temple identify an item for you. That's what they are there for. Dont feel guilty about using them. ;)

4. Baronius

Baronius Mental harmony dispels the darkness ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

If you want to keep your game honest, there is no other way to raise your fallen characters than paying for the temples' Raise Dead service.
    The higher level your character was, the bigger price the temple will ask.

5. Will Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

Blimey; you must have been exposed to some pretty hardcore gaming sensibilities to consider raising the dead as cheesy.

6. Tiberius Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

raise away, if it was cheesy, I am King Gouda.

7. Capt Massacre Gems: 5/31

OKAY!
    I have such questions sometimes! Welcome back, bitch!

8. Loerand

Loerand My heart holds no fear for death

Weird reply...
    Anyways, it's not cheesy, or cheap. However, reloading when a character dies, is cheap.

9. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Reloading after your character dies is cheesey!? Man - you must have PLENTY of time to restart games from the beginning if you think that.....what's the point of the Save button at all then?

I'd never have gotten past Candlekeep if I adopted that policy.

10. Takara

Takara My goodness! I see turnips everywhere

Media:
    I think some people take thise hard core non cheesy thing to far. Cheese is exploiting game bugs, and exploiting dumb AI. Not following the game mechanics, and using your game given rights. You want to re-load a fight... not cheese. You want to use a temple's services...not cheese. You want to exploit a cheat allowing you infinite gold? THAT is cheese. Sheesh.

11. Tiberius Gems: 6/31

nice one Takara, Harbourboy, well stated. The thing is, save your butt off during these games. I save before every hard battle and sometime right after I have setup my party for the brawl. That way if I get the crap kicked out of me, I reload and I am ready to go again.

12. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I press 'Q' about every 30 seconds or so. I hate having to redo too much of the game if something goes wrong after stepping on landmine or something.

For example, you've just spent 10 minutes re-arranging everyone's inventory to get all the arrows to the archer and the scrolls to the wizard etc. Imagine having to go through all that again. No way.

13. Tiberius Gems: 6/31

happened to me all the time in NWN Harbourboy. Got so mad I would quit the game. Now I save constantly.

14. Harbourboy

Oh yeah, it takes 3 times as long to organise NWN inventory. :mad: You'd want to save in the MIDDLE of doing THAT job.

15. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

i only found out about the quicksave (q) command in BG2, woulda saved me a lot of time if I'd known about it back when I first started playing BG :/. But yes, I usually have around 3 savefiles :D

16. Grovflab Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Just remember, that in BG1, all enemies respawn everytime you save, thus making all the fights harder. I once remember running into 20+ of those thieves in the woods, where there were only supposed to be like 2 or 3. In a matter of moment they had brought my party down in a hail of fire arrows. But if I remember correctly, this only applies to outdoor open areas.

On a side note, I find that if you save before resting, it also improves the risk of a random encounter.

17. Capt Massacre Gems: 5/31

Just to clarify, "welcome back, bitch" was meant to Jaheira, not anyone of you.

On topic: Imagine you have a casualty in a fight. Is it cheesier to just reload (like I often do) than run to the temple? I suppose it is, but can't condemn it.

My view is that if it takes 3 reloads to win a fight, except the final ones, then you just aren't ready for this fight and are trying to force your way through the game against odds.

This said, one of the first fights in the Friendly Arms is often deadly, yet it is in the main story. I mean, you are supposed to find Khalid and Jaheira the sooner the better. Just before he died, Gorion told you to do so. It is safer to travel first to Beregost, but it goes against the story.

18. Kam Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

@ Grovflab: I'm pretty sure that that bug is only caused by one of the ways of saving. The other way is safe. Unfortunately, I don't remember which one.

19. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

I honestly have a crippling habit of saving. Most times, when I leave the room (physically, not in-game :p ) for a few seconds, I'll save. Then when I get back, I save again! Sometimes I'll save before a big fight, move the mouse three inches, then have the compulsion to save again. I tell you, I probably spend half my game time staring at the save screen.

But seeming as that was totally off topic, I'll add a quick note to make this whole thing legit: I agree with, uh, Takara.

20. Greystar Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I'm pretty sure that it's not, because you will have to deal with the hobgoblin and bandit along the way, with only 2 character (which sucks). If it's too hard, you can just recruit Xzar and Montaron, and let them handle the mage for you.

Btw, I don't think that saving will improve the risk of encounter when you sleep. I've done it plenty of time and have no problem.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.