1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Raelians want to ban school uniforms

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Harbourboy, Feb 11, 2005.

1. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I read the following story in a New Zealand newspaper today.

The essence of a story is that a group called the Raelians is going to hang out outside schools handing out leaflets and stickers encouraging kids not to wear school uniforms.

This raises two questions for me:
    1) Are school uniforms really that bad?
    2) Who the hell are these Raelians? They describe themselves as the world's largest athiest, non-profit UFO related organisation! Huh?

My answers are:
    1) School uniforms are good because then kids are under less pressure to wear the coolest clothes and poorer kids don't feel as bad if they're not wearing flash gear.
    2) A bunch of loonies who sound like a menace to society.

2. Shalladeth Is it ignorance or apathy? I don't know and I don'

I can't seem to get to that site, so I'm going by your summary. I agree that your thoughts on school uniforms sound good in theory, my only fear is that it would stifle individualism and lead to other forms of rebellion. I definitely don't think it's any cause for a real fuss though, and I don't want any group hanging out outside schools handing out anything.

Did a quick web search and this is from their website:
    Sounds like another cult to me. My apologies to any Raelian SP members.

3. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    The Raelians
    OK, so they're nutcases.

Having said that, I've never been a fan of school uniforms. General dress codes - fine. But part of being a teenager is trying to find your identity, which you accomplish in part through how you dress.

4. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Sadly, both statements are true, but one can't have both.

I think they should keep uniforms where they are but not introduce them where they aren't already required. Banning exquisite jewelry and ostensible designer labels should keep the snobbery in line while providing some room to those who have strong ideas of their own with regard to clothing.

And, of course, underwear in the proper place, which is under.

5. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Hmm, I sure hope these Raelians aren't establishing a big presence over here.

Hallelujah.

6. Shalladeth Is it ignorance or apathy? I don't know and I don'

Agreed Chev! Now, how about these nutters who wish to go forth and destroy faith everywhere? Hey, I say we help them! Let's all make generous donations so that we can help them all set up their headquarters over in the Middle-East. I bet they'll have a lot of luck over there! :evil:

7. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

I've had to wear a school uniform through all my school years (apart from University) and it only had a few negative effects ;)

Frankly I've got nothing against uniforms. No need fussing around with what clothes to wear, no worries about having to be fashionable and you don't have to bother looking at kids dressing like they're from the ''hood' - you know what I mean, a bandana and a baseball cap AND a hoodie with the hood up.

8. Harbourboy

Abomination - any Raelians out your way?

9. Hacken Slash

Hacken Slash OK... can you see me now?

School uniforms are good. Let them find ways to express themselves via wardrobe when they enter the real world. School uniforms mean the poorest kid in the school will look the same as the richest kid in the school. Why is that wrong?

As to the raelians...I'm fairly certain that a major news outlet is about to reveal them as the latest Neocon-Bushist plot to subvert the minds of the next generation of potential Democrats.

bleh

10. Blog Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

I've never heard of Raelians here either, regardless of how popular they claim to be. And they're not the only ones who have opposed uniforms.

What do you think about them hanging around the school, soliciting students? I think back when I was at that age, I would not be very comfortable with having to walk by strangers like that. Especially if they approach - I might have walked by briskly. If they set up a booth with signs, it seems safer to pass by knowing they won't run you down. But then the school officials might not approve of that.

11. AMaster Gems: 26/31

Media:
    Heh. I remember when some anti-abortion activists decided to picket the high school I attended. No one cared. Pretty much every student shruged, said, "woah, man, like, creepy pictures," and got on with their day (the activists were waving large signs with photos of partial-birth abortions).

No biggie.

As for the pros and cons of school uniforms...I dunno, but all the arguments I see in favor of them don't seem to be convicing. To reduce snobbery? Let poor kids look the same as rich kids? Sounds like attempting to shelter them from the world, which is, ah...counterproductive.

But hey, no strong feelings from me either way. Uniforms, great. No uniforms, great. Doesn't make much difference.

12. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

I think school uniforms are great and reduce peer pressure. After school you can wear whatever 'trendy' items of clothing you want. Its whats inside that makes you an individual - following trends in fashion is not expressing yourself or being individual.

13. Abomination Gems: 26/31

@HB
    Never even knew they existed untill you posted this. Sound like a bunch of nutjobs. If they're asking for a reason to not support what they are campaigning the best reason you can give the Raelians is "If you want something I'm certain I don't want it."

14. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

I loathe school uniforms. As a teenager who don't wear the latest fashion, mostly self-designed mixes of different styles, like Rastafari, Hip-Hop, and Punk, I can assure you that not everyone wants to wear the latest clothes, a lot just wants to be free to express their inviduality.

Sure, wear school uniforms in private school, but keep your damn hands of my public ones.

15. Ironbeard Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Weren't the Raelians the group who claimed to have produced a human clone a few years back?

16. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    So they are trying to remove the Christian establishment and set up one to worship aliens...
    If that happens, I'll become an anarchist myself :p

17. toughluck Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Ban the uniforms! Anything that helps to infiltrate a school society must be good for them, right?

What I mean is that most people do not realise how IDs and also school uniforms help to reduce the risk of drug dealing or preaching (of any kind) in a school. So sure, ban the uniforms, it will help the Raelians turn your kids into nut cases as well.

18. BOC

BOC Let the wild run free Veteran

School uniforms have been banned in Greece since 1981. I remember that we all saw the ban like a gift from heaven since we all hated the uniform and the ban didn't cause problems of any kind.

19. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Bingo! Private school can mandate school uniforms because they are just that - private schools. One of the things you accept in attending a private school is wearing said school's uniform. If you don't like that uniform, don't attend that school.

In the U.S. I know of no public schools that have mandated uniforms of any kind, although there are obviously dress codes in all schools. Since no one is required to attend a private school, I feel they have every right to demand a school uniform - if you don't like it, don't go there.

As an aside, what does individuality in school and not wearing uniforms have to do with destroying the myth of god and welcoming aliens to our planet? I mean really, is this group even worth serious discussion?

20. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Yeah, and we can attach shock-collars upon them all as well. If they skip school? Schock them. And let the teachers shoot people who talk in class on sight. Hey, it reduces rulebreaking.

The point of that was too prove that Big Brother isn't the very best thing.

Oh, and we don't have any school uniforms in Sweden. I don't see any Realians running around here, no sire.

Lastly, we don't have a large drug-problem nor preaching problem in Sweden, and nethier IDs nor School Uniforms are used in public schools. I don't say that Sweden is great, I just say that overdoing security is bad.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.