1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Radovan Karadzic Captured

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by The Shaman, Jul 22, 2008.

1. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Radovan Karadzic, leader of the Bosnian Serbs during the wars in Yugoslavia and one of the most wanted men from the 1990's has been captured and will be tried in accordance to the Hague tribunal, Serbian authorities announced yesterday. He is arguably the man with the most ominous reputation from the entire conflict, as the man believed to be behind the Srebrenica massacre and the shelling of Sarajevo. Whether he can be convicted or not - and I'm hoping he gets what he deserves - I think this is a big step forward for Serbia. You can find more at http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7518543.stm , and probably at any major news organization of your choice ;)

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] I seriously didn't believe that Serbia would ever turn him over and that he'd die in hiding before the political will to extradite him was strong enough... this is really a historical moment and I personally am very glad to finally see Serbia on the right course. I hope that they soon drag out Mladic too, though that's probably hoping for too much.

3. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] :clap: Veeeeery good :clap:

For better or worse, the mill of justice grinds slowly.

4. Loreseeker

Loreseeker A believer in knowledge Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] This was a surprise, but a nice one. :) Finally!
    It's all over the news here, understandably.

http://www.b92.net/eng/news/politics-article.php?yyyy=2008&mm=07&dd=21&nav_id=52098

Officially. where he was arrested is unknown, but unofficially, according to B92 (a rather reliable TV station) the lawyer defending him at the War Crimes Court, Svetozar Vujacic said that Karadzic had stated before the judge that he was arrested on a bus going from Novi Beograd (part of Belgrade) to Batajnica (a settlement nearby), on Friday night and was in custody ever since.

His hearing at the War Crimes Court in Belgrade has apparently been finished, and the judge conducting it, Milan Dilparic, when asked if conditions were met for Karadzic's extradition said: "Sve je zavrseno." (It is all done.)

(The stuff above is from a B92 article in Serbian, on their web site.)

This is a huge piece of local news. If i hear any other interesting details, I'll let you guys know. :)

Last edited: Jul 22, 2008
  5. Vukodlak Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Veteran

And only two months after Kostunica finally leaves Serbian politics. Coincidence?

Loreseeker likes this.
  6. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    This is good, the man's got craploads of screws loose. Where's he been for the last dozen or so years though?

7. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

I was also interested in the mention that Karadzic was arrested after a signal from a foreign intelligence service. So a foreign intelligence service knows better than the Serb one where he was? Quite surprising.

8. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    He will be imprisoned a kilometer from my work. I could come and visit him (with a sack of rotten tomatoes muhahahaha.)

9. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
  10. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

I'm glad this guy has been caught. The media here is making a big deal of the fact that the government just changed -- they are implying that the new government has the desire to catch the war criminals while the old one . . . didn't. I don't know how true that is because I don't know the players, but that insinuation is really, really gonna hurt the reputations of the former government regardless of the truth or lack thereof.

11. Taluntain

Media:
    It's probably true enough, and it's not going to hurt their reputations much, since it's been widely known and publicly accepted that up until now the major war criminals that a significant part of the population considers to be heros haven't been captured solely because the top politicians didn't want to OK it, not because it couldn't be done.

12. Loreseeker

Loreseeker A believer in knowledge Veteran

Media:
    Vukodlak: Excellent point.

LKD: Trust me, the reputation of the former government is already bad, and besides, the fact that they didn't want him caught is a "public secret" more then anything else. You could say that everyone knew that.

Tal: I generally agree, but the part of the population that considers those people heroes is not as significant as it is loud. Loud nutters always get attention.

Odd story :rolleyes: aside, I must say that his disguise was rather good.

Also, according to the official press release the arrest was not made at the signal of a foreign intelligence service, but instead after tracking a group of his helpers or something. If it's true or not, beats me. The main point is, IMO, that the political top said, "OK, go arrest him" and he got arrested, like Tal said.

13. Takara

Takara My goodness! I see turnips everywhere

Media:
    I rarely post here, but I saw this report this morning. I'm glad they got him, what he was part of, did, was just sickening. Glad the Serbs are opening up.

14. Darion

Darion Resident Dissident Veteran BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I was actually initially surprised, but I didn't last long!

What do they think they can to to that old man anyway!
    They will hold a trial at best, one that last some years and then he'll die like Milosevic of age in his cell. Justicia for all?! Who knows!

All political intrigue and or local or foreign conspiracy aside, in the end it doesn't really matter.
    His old war crime buddies from the former Yugoslavian States like Croatia or Bosnia
    will do the same. Getting caught at old age and then nothing really.
    There will be no blitz Nürnberg for all of them.

This is more of a media spectacle than a juristic stroke. Today more than ever!

But what the heck.

15. Takara

Takara My goodness! I see turnips everywhere

Media:
    You'd probably say the same thing if the Nazt war criminal "Dr. Death" gets caught.

16. Darion

Darion Resident Dissident Veteran BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Probably! I'd like to think I'm rather realistic.
    The point is, what good will it do!

If they had caught him a few years later after the war, there would've been more momentum behind every juristical action!
    But now it's a farce, used by either political side to push or pull their goals!

And he's hardly Dr. Mengele or General Ishii.

But he's a criminal and schemer and war is his trade. Just like his old school buddies Tudjman, Izetbegovic, Sejdiu and many others.

They all traded territory and the life of those on it, like a candy shop chocolate-bars!
    And their families emerged from the ashes of the Balkan wealthy, well fed and with positions of power, while every one else was starving for bread and money.

And now tell me what do you think will change now that they have him!

The modern society doesn't deal in torture, or death penalty. So they can hardly "pay him back" or go for the biblical "Eye for an Eye".
    And like I stated before, he's old and frail.
    Him dying in the near future like some of his old school buddies already did, is a mathematical fact.

And him spending his last days in a comfy cell- modern society doesn't mistreat its prisoners; so he will have good meals, have a cushy pillow and newspaper in the morning along with coffee - will surely do nothing to redeem the damage done! And keeping him there for the rest of his life, is not more different than a life of an retired old man, who spends his days mostly in his room.

Yup, but what the heck. Even a song by Britney Spears has more substance this whole theater.

Sorry for the long rant!:confused:
    But I really don't think that this will bring anything. :deadhorse:

17. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Truth be told, I had completely forgotten that Radovan Karadzic was still even alive - I certainly didn't expect that he'd be turned in.

18. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    One eu membership please.
    That will be one warcriminal.
    Here you are, now were is the money?

One big happy united states of Europ, right?

19. Darion

Media:
    Bloody Right Merlanni! Great observation!

20. Vukodlak Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Veteran

You say that as though it's bad thing. :p

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.