1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

R.I.P. Heathcliff Andrew Ledger

Discussion in 'Sensorium' started by jaded empath, Jan 23, 2008.

1. jaded empath Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Veteran

Well, it's all over CNN.com's frontpage and with a different pic every time I F5.

New York Times article

I'd liked his work, but I can't really call myself a 'fan' of his. Nonetheless, I really, really wish this hadn't happened to him, or he'd done this, or whatever turns out to be the case. :cry:

2. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Very sad. So young.

3. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I for one was a big fan. Not so much for all his movies, because there were only a few I would classify as truly good. It was his bravery as an actor. He could have easily become a Freddy Prince Jr. - doing insipid teen movie after teen movie until eventually crapping himself into obscurity. But he really pushed himself. Brokeback Mountain was an excellent film (and say what you will about it's content, that role took balls of steel), and I've watched the new Batman trailer about a thousand times, marveling at how Ledger really poured himself into transforming not only himself, but the whole concept of the Joker as a character. I was (and still am) really looking forward to The Dark Knight coming out this summer. He was on the brink of becoming a superstar after its release.

Ida know...this has really affected me. Part of it as that he's exactly my age, I suppose. But I respected and admired him far more than the majority of his contemporaries. And I thought to myself the other day..."man, if he's doing this kind of work in his twenties..."

Now we'll never know. Seriously - I'm really bummed, stunned. :(

4. Dice

Dice ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    He had a lot of potential. He also had a two year old daughter that he was really close with. I have a two year old son and I know that he would be devastated if I disappeared from his life. Although his fans will miss him, I feel more sorry about his own family.

5. nior Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Last week it was Brad Renfro (The Client, The Cure, The Apt Pupil) who died at 25. And now, Ledger at 28. A couple of great talents gone.

6. Takara

Takara My goodness! I see turnips everywhere

Media:
    That's awful! I liked him. 2 hands not so good, but still a tragic end for a nice actor. :(

7. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Yeah, this really sucks. I wouldn't call myself a fan or anything (but then, I can't name a single actor that I really *would* call myself a fan of), but his acting was of consistently high quality in his movies that I've seen.

It's interesting to see that the sleeping pills he was taking are the ones that were having really strange side effect: http://news.theage.com.au/ledgers-sleeping-pill-controversial/20080123-1nou.html

(And Two Hands not so good? Are you kidding me...? Awesome movie)

8. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31

Adored Veteran

Media:
    I may be in the minority, but I really enjoyed his "teen" comedies. I still get sucked into "10 things I hate about you" and "A knight's tale" when they are on cable.

RIP

9. Fabius Maximus Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Me too, for two reasons:

A: Both movies show that the cast had tremendous fun making them.

B: Both have very talented and beautiful actresses playing the female lead.

His death's a pity. I wonder who will play the Joker in the next Batman movie.

10. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

its still him, they finished it i think.

RIP. I've been hearing of this from my female classmates all day. He was a good actor.

Someone told me that he was trying to really get "into" his character as the joker and it was kinda messing him up. Any truth to this?

11. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Shame, I really liked him in A Knight's Tale.

12. Urithrand

Urithrand Mind turning the light off? ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    How tragic. Some excellent movies he made, the movie industry will miss him as his family will.

Rest in Peace Heath.

13. Fabius Maximus Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

I meant the one after the new one.

14. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

Apparently Fred Phelps and his merry band of nutters is planning to picket the funeral. Now that would be an interesting turn of events. If they want to show up in Australia and try and picket the funeral of someone that many Australians are quite proud of - well, I just can't wait to see the news reports of them being beaten/imprisoned :p

Not that I really expect them to show, but y'know. It would be nice to see them try their brand of idiocy in a country that isn't desensitised to fundamentalist Christianity.

15. Iku-Turso Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    @Aik: I can easily imagine them getting beaten and imprisoned considering some funny rumors and half-truths about Australian and/or especially Sydney law-enforcement officials...

Damn! Heath Ledger as the Joker? So strange for him to pass away after getting such a role!

16. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

Ah yes, Freddie Phelps. One of those guys that doesn't actually read the Bible, but makes a good living thumping it for Dramatic effect. Sure I don't care for the content of Brokeback Mountain, but I have a solution that works for me--ignore it! I won't waste my time watching it, nor will I spend money to see it. What's the problem?

It also doesn't mean that I won't watch some of his other movies, there's actually a couple I'd like to see...

17. Stu Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

I think that Phelps guy got interviewed on Aussie TV a few days back. The interviewer absolutely flamed him and he came off looking like an absolute nutter. I hope something happens to him, I doubt most Aussies would be too accommodating to someone pulling something like this at a funeral.

18. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

I heard that he was back in the US for February 2, so they could protest the funeral of the Mormon leader. This guy needs to get a life worse than I do.

Come to think of it, he's an arguement for legalizing polygamy. Give him enough wives and they'll keep him too busy to stir up trouble...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.