1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

R.I.P. Amy Winehouse

Discussion in 'Sensorium' started by Beren, Jul 23, 2011.

1. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
  2. Darion

Darion Resident Dissident Veteran BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Yeah, just saw it on TV.
    It's sad, she wasn't a talentless person. Just too jaded.

3. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Hard to believe... what a shame.

4. Déise

Déise Both happy and miserable, without the happy part!

Sadly Tal it's not hard to believe. A terrible shame, she was a fantastic talent. I loved her first album and it's shocking to think she only got to make one more before passing away. She could have done so much more.

5. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Why does the rest of the world care? I thought she was UK star only.

I hope this isn't a case of someone dying suddenly making them more talented.
    She was a complete knobhead and a smackhead slag. I'm surprised she's lasted this long.

6. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    I really don't know who she is, or anything about her, but nevertheless I'm sorry to hear the news that she has passed.

Is that a trick question?

7. Barmy Army

Media:
    No.... why?

You really don't want to know much about this pathetic excuse for a person.

8. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    Because it sounds odd, that where she came from [the UK] should make a difference.

9. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

I've been hearing about her for years, though I'm not personally familiar with her music. Her record of awards speaks volumes to me-- she was either really talented or had a great promotions team.

What I heard a lot more about was her flagrant and frequent drug abuse. She never seemed able or willing to do what it takes to stop the abuse. It was only a matter of time. Regardless of either talent levels, fame, or addictions, it's a human being who just died far too young. And that's sad. I hope she finds some peace now.

10. Barmy Army

Media:
    Well obviously... it doesn't Chandos?

I'm just surprised that a US/Canadian (whatever, same thing) posted this, when I assumed only people in this country knew about/of her.

She was a waste of time, and I doubt too many people will lose much sleep at her passing.

11. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    That's a really odd thing to assume... like saying that nobody outside the UK should know about Elton John or something. :hmm:

Newsflash: music crosses national borders!

12. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    She actually had a really rich voice and seemed to be reasonably gifted as a singer, but her drug use is what made all the headlines in the past few years and you could watch her killing herself by inches.

13. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I tend to agree with most of what Barmy said (although I would say it differently).

It's sad that she is dead, but she was a terrible waste of space as a musician or an artist or a celebrity. I really do she doesn't become some sort of legendary icon now, just because she died young.

14. Barmy Army

Media:
    Not really comparable. You've got an international star, with a history of world-wide hits, and then some dirty little smack-rat who was as much famous for taking her own body weight in drugs every day and having a love affair with Peter Doherty, than for any talent she may or may not have. Amy Winehouse was only ever covered in our utter tabloid press for her drug-fuelled binges, so I assumed she was just a UK celeb.

15. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Again, Barmy's post sums up my view on things. She was never in the news for her music.

16. Taluntain

Media:
    They're comparable enough for you to get what I mean, obviously I wasn't comparing the sum of their life achievements. Winehouse had international hits as well. I think you're trying to pull a Harbs here, Barmy. :shake:

17. Ben Snow Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

It was a suprise while not being surprising. I think we all knew she would die young but it's still a little shocking when it happens.

I'm not a bug fan of her music, but I can see how it appealed to others.

18. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    I knew who Amy Winehouse was, but who the heck is Peter Doherty?

19. Ben Snow Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Lead singer of a band called The Libertines and Babyshambles. Basically the male version of Amy Winehouse. Supposedly incredibly talented (I don't see it) but spends more time high doing stupid things that he does sober.

He was dating Kate Moss and was a large part of her whole drug scandal a few years ago.

20. Cap'n CJ

Cap'n CJ Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    Well, we all saw that one coming.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.