1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

R. A. Salvatore

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Grovflab, Apr 25, 2001.

1. Grovflab Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] I have just read the cleric quintet, and I find it a bit..... well how can I say it, mmmmmmm mmmmmmmm. Simply put, I didn't like it.

Now, with all the praise going around about the rest of his books, I would like to ask if the writing style is the same all the way trough. I think the cleric quintet was quite too combat orientated. I know this is fantasy, but book 2-4 is almost one big fight scene. This gets quite boring, especially when english is only your second language.

2. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Typo, it's Salvatore ;)
    but why does it suck? I just bought and am about to read Chaos Curse (part 4) and I hope that I wont fling it away in disgust...

3. Grovflab Gems: 13/31

After reading "In sylvan shadows", I grew tired with the fighting. There is way too much and it gets too unbelievable. The bouldershoulder brothers charge headlong into thousands of enemies and survive.

And all the detail about Danica's fighting technicues, well it gets confusing, and my mind stops keeping track of the action. As said, maybe this is because english is only my second language, but I've been reading many other forgotten realms novel with no problems what so ever.

But if you are at the chaos curse, and don't notice anything wrong, then you don't have the same problems as I.

I have some dislikes about the ending as well, but I don't want to spoil it for you.

P.s. Sorry about the typo, I was actually shure it was Calvatore. Well, what about Wais and Hikman or perhaps Et Greanweed. ;)

4. Darien Noella Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

[​IMG] Oh My GOD! I'm gonna have a seizure!

*tries desperately not to correct the mispellings in the post above*

Aaarghh! Must... edit... baaad... aaaaahhh!

*collapses to the ground sobbing and giggling hysterically*

5. Orkrist the Cleaver Gems: 13/31

[​IMG] The Salvatore books are OK. Its not great writing and it isn't great fantasy IMO. I consider them a guilty pleasure. Guilty because I have an education in clasics and I actually spend $7 for a paperback book with a goofy fantasy cover and then I read them. Pleasure because I enjoy them. They are light, quick, and involve a bit of AD&D lore. In the credits you can see R.A. Salvatore was consulted on BG and IWD. There's also a thanks to Gary Gygax, a name I hadn't seen since long ago.

6. Bateluer Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

I have not read the Cleric Quintet, but I intend to. I have read all the rest of Salvatore's books, though, and found them to very good, a good deal of action, but a good deal of character development as well. The Dark Elf Trilogy is well worth the money.

RA Salvatore is writing the story for Star Wars Episode 2.

7. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

He is? Thank God, maybe we'll see something better than THAT PIECE OF CRAP EPISODE 1! Sorry SW fans ;) Only thing that saved the movie was the end fight and Natalie Portman. I hated the little kid.. I heard everyone else hated him too ;) (Jules Asner, FHM)
    I have Exile, Legacy and Silent Blade. I gotta get the rest... I hear the newest one "Servant of the Shard" is excellent...

8. Bateluer Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

EP1 was aweful, lousy acting, no emotion. The best part was when Quigon got the saber through his chest.

Servent of the Shard focus's entirely on Artemis Entreri and the drow mercenary Jarlaxle. Its well worth the money, very good reading.

9. Sol'Kanar Guest

Yeah, Episode one certainly didn't meet my expectations. I'd almost given up on #2 and decided to focus my attention more on the upcoming LotR movies. Salvatore may be a simple writer, but I thought the Dark Elf trilogy and all the books that come after were well worth the time I spent reading them, if not worth to time to reread. I rather like the long battle scene descriptions.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.