1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

R.A. or Ed?

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Dudette, Jun 24, 2001.

1. Dudette Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

which author do u think is better? R.A. Salvatore, or Ed Greenwood?

2. [​IMG] You mean which one is worse?
    Bob is better no question. He overdoes it a lot in my opinion, but at least he has some talent. Wheras Ed couldn't write to save his life.

3. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    RAS is much better. Greenwood is unpredictable. Sometimes he does good stuff, other times it just sucks

4. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I wonder what Freud would say about Greenwood, what with his obsession with sex. There must be like 20 instances in the Elminster trilogy alone where El gets laid. I mean, I'm all for realism and that, but he's overdoing it. Heh.

No question about it, Salvatore is a much better writer. Greenwood may be able to pump out material like crazy, but I'm after quality, not quantity.

[This message has been edited by Taluntain (edited June 27, 2001).]

5. ayecapitan Guest

I like to read Salvatore, because his language flows so smooth :), but Greenwood's novels are more complex, and I love them too :)

Elminster Trilogy covered a rather enormous timespan :). 20 instances wouldnt seem that much, considering the number of years through which those instances occured :p.

[This message has been edited by ayecapitan (edited June 28, 2001).]

6. kemanmaldea Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

ayecaptan has a point in that the elminster trilogy does cover a huge timspan and those instances in wich he gets laid are compartively rair

to be on topic I would have to say I like R.A. better.

7. Caleb_Eveningfall Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

If just looking at strictly D&D books Salvatore is much better and more consistent the Greenwood. However, some of Salvatore's other works leave much to be desired.

8. Firestorm

Firestorm Beeep, Beeep, ERROR Veteran

if we are just talking about the books then i think that Salvatore is better but i relly liked that Ed invented the FR setting (which is very cool by the way) and without him, Salvaore wouldnt be writing about Drizzt in Icewind Dale, because it wouldnt exist.

9. Azardu Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

[​IMG]
    Realism my ass! He was humping a goddess, for crying out loud! :p

10. Skedaddle Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] Realism? You forget what you're speaking about here, heh.
    Elminster trilogy is something I've read just for the lore (I was seriously bored by it in some places, dont even know should I read "El in Hell" or not...). But Cormyr saga (its not comletely by Ed, though) is probably the best FR series I've read, and Drizztology looks like something very insignificant. Though Cleric Quintet was really good too, with a nice conflict and some good action.

11. Caleb_Eveningfall Gems: 2/31

The Cormyr saga was too long and the second book was crap. Salvatore's FR books are all better then that.

12. Azirath Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Yeah, Ed Greenwood does write er.. strangely sometimes, but for some reason I like him more than Salvatore, probably because of his Elminster series, because it is my fav Forgotten Realms series of books. And as for freud, I have no clue ;)

13. Skedaddle Gems: 13/31

[​IMG] Aw come on? Cormyr saga was long? 3 books, by the gods! Beyond The High road was good, even though it was not written by Ed. Now Drizztology was long - what, 13 books of neverending whirling scimitars? (well, not in The Spine of The World or Servant of The Shard, but in the rest of them)
    I just think that the two writers specialize in different styles, and are not to be compared.Every book will most likely find its reader (well, except for Athans' scribbles maybe)

14. Caleb_Eveningfall Gems: 2/31

The reason Salvatore could write 13 books on Drizzt is because they were all good.

15. Skedaddle Gems: 13/31

[​IMG] Personally my favorite of the 13 was Servant of the Shard. It was best of all when it goes to the plot, and it had no Drizzt at all. No Drizzt! :hahaerr:

[edit] Just a though here, the books' being good can in no way be a reason why R.A. wrote them. Usually the writer creates the book first and then has readers' opinions. :)

[This message has been edited by Skedaddle (edited October 02, 2001).]

16. Satiana Fearbringer Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

I guess that if my only choice was these two, it would definetly be Sal.

17. eveningdrive Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Salvatore for me is the better storyteller. HOWEVER, I got a copy of three other R.A. Salvatore books though, the Demon Wars series featuring Elbyran Wyndon, "the Nightbird" (isn't that a song by Kalapana?), and he seems to me a Drizzt wannabe. R.A. just loves rangers (whom he turns into ultimate fighting machines), elves, and starting his chapters with reflections of his protagonists. I was surprised he tackled the Cleric Quintet. Few, if any, write combat scenes better than him though... :)

Greenwood is a fountain of lore though. In terms of modules and game accessories, I pick Greenwood (duh! He made the Realms). R.A.'s accessory about the Bloodstone Lands was like his books, dramatic. Something that isn't really necessary in game accessories.

18. Vanadin Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Gee, can't say either is that great. It just annoys me to read about heroes that are the best of the best of the best of the best, and whatever they do they excel in it. :rolleyes:

Elminster was one of the leading thieves in some ancient city, he was also a very good warrior, and his wizard skills are nearly unmatched. But still he did do some miscalculations and messed up a few times, so he's not infallible. Drizzt on the other hand....
    Have any of you ever read about Drizzt being less than great at anything? Whatever he puts his hands on, he's a master of it. Swordcraft (or is that scimitarcraft?), tumbling, animal empathy, diplomacy, even magic the little he used it during his childhood. How's that for realism?
    Still, I enjoyed the books, but I've read better.

Something that I really didn't enjoy though, has anyone read "Realms of the Underdark"? There's a short story in it about Drizzt in his childhood, written not by Salvatore but Mark Anthony. If you haven't read it and are Drizzt fans, don't read it. It messes up one detail after another, makes Matron Malice look like a lovestruck fool and presents Zaknafein as a drow freedom fighter... yuck! Why can't authors leave each others' characters alone? :nolike:

Sorry for ranting, I just finished reading that story and I'm still upset. On to more constructive writing. :)

I think all FR writers have their ups and downs, and there are a few that are really good when they're at their best.
    R.A. Salvatore started at the very bottom, "The Crystal Shard" has to be one of the very worst FR novels ever published. On the other hand "The Spine of the World" and possibly the Cleric Quintet IMO qualify as some of the best.
    Of Greenwood's novels I really enjoyed "Spellfire" and the "Shadow of the Avatar" trilogy, though none of them are top notch, whereas "The Simbul's Gift" was a big disappoinment. I've only read the first of the Elminster novels, and I'd place it somewhere in the middle.

One of my favorite FR authors is (I never thought I'd say this) Troy Denning.
    I started by reading the Prism Pentad (Dark Sun), and I never even finished it. I read "Waterdeep", the third of the Avatar trilogy, and asked myself why they wouldn't let Scott Ciensin finish the series. I read "The Parched Sea" and didn't like it. At that point I was ready to throw Denning away totally, but just this summer I decided to read "The Trial of Cyric the Mad" and found myself actually enjoying the different, narrative style of writing presented therein. And just last week I read "Faces of Deception" and consider it one of the best FR novels I've ever read.
    So now I'm reformed and I think I'm going to reread at least "The Parched Sea" and the Prism Pentad, to sea if they were really as bad as I thought. :book:

I really recommend "Faces of Deception", as well as the other books of the "Lost Empires" series, "The Lost Library of Cormanthyr" by Mel Odom and "Star of Cursrah" by Clayton Emery.
    I hope the high standard of these newer novels signify that WotC will no longer let anything through (though Athens' BG novels condradict that) like they did a while back. Hopefully more writers have grown as authors, like Salvatore and Denning, and actually produce fantasy that can compete with "real" writers... ;)

[EDIT] Oh my, did I write all that? Sorry bout that, hope you enjoyed it despite the length. :heh:
    And I warn you, don't discuss FR literature again 'cause I'll be sure to jump right in! :evil:

PS: I never noticed how many smileys there are, I just had to try some out. Bear with me...

[This message has been edited by Vanadin (edited October 06, 2001).]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.