1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Quotes important in your life

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by chevalier, Sep 21, 2003.

1. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Do you have any?

"The show must go on"

My freaking informal motto. No need to comment.

"You did not choose me, but I chose you"

No, I haven't discovered a priestly vocation :D Apart from the obvious meaning, this also means that life will always get you no matter what.

"Vanitas vanitatum et omnia vanitas"

Vanity of vanities and all vanity. Don't get too attached, but smell the roses, too.

"Whoever controls the Spice, controls the Empire"

Need I say more?

"That you dispose of a rotten apple does not mean that you prefer pears"

This one is mine. The very beginning of highschool. In fact, this was a very, very offensive reply, diplomatically worded. An example of chevalier's school in diplomacy.

"Dic duc fac fer"

Four irregular imperatives of Latin: speak, perform (though the basic meaning is lead), do, bear. Commonly interpreted as speak truth, perform your duties, do what you have to, bear what's in for you :rolleyes:

"Non nobis, Domine, non nobis, sed nomini Tuo da gloriam"

"Not to us, not to us, but to your name, Lord, give glory". The commonly accepted translation, "not for us, not for us, but for the glory of Your name" is blatantly wrong, false and misleading. What else is it going to be if a verb in imperative suddenly disappears :rolleyes:

"Make it happen"

Second informal motto of mine. Starcraft, maybe? I don't remember. Comments are needless :cool:

"Not from how he starts you know a man, but from how he ends"

Excusez les mots, Leszek Miller. Yea, our commie Prime Minister, and a sucker. He thinks he's a big stud. I like this phrase and use it with a great deal of sarcasm (it's a one-sentence story of my relationships)

"At last that cattle has gone home and I'll be able to rule a bit."

Marshall Pilsudski (Orig. PiƂsudski, Windows 1250) of Poland. Head of State 1918-22. Yes, the one who saved you, Westerners, from red hordes, but you've never heard of him :p Said about members of parliament when they went home for a break.

Especially suitable for situations when I'm in charge or in expert role and someone starts voting... :evil:

2. Khazraj Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Innamal a'malu binniyyat.

This is Arabic for "Actions are based on Intentions".

3. Ahrontil Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Braveheart

The Matrix

4. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

"A witty saying proves nothing."

-Voltaire

5. Shura Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

" Argh! I stubbed my toe!"

This happens a lot. Guess my Dexterity score isn't as high as I would like it to be. :(

6. Grey Magistrate Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

My favorite slogans:

"Take responsibility for your own destiny, for mere ambition is the last refuge of the failure."

and

"Slogans are no substitute for action; action is no substitute for success; success is no substitute for honor."

Ironic, no, to live by a slogan that warns you not to live by slogans?

7. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

"A waterfall begins with just a single drop"
    I think that's from the Power of One, by Bryce Courteney.

"Two things are infinit, the universe and human stupidity. The first I'm not to sure about"
    I can't remember who that is by...

But the one that I try toa always live by has to be from Monty Python
    "Always look on the bright side of live."

8. BOC

BOC Let the wild run free Veteran

"Molon Lave" (trans.: Come to take them). This was the answer of the spartan king Leonidas to the the persian king , when he was asked to surrender his weapons.

"Dum spiro spero" (trans.: As long as I live, I hope)

"Three are the most destructive powers of the world. The fire, the woman and the sea" Unknown ancient greek philosopher.

"There are no desperate situations, there are only desperate people" Heinz Guderian

"En oida oti ouden oida"(trans.: I know just one thing, that I know nothing) Socrates.

9. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    If you understand others you are smart.
    If you understand yourself you are illuminated.
    If you overcome others you are powerful.
    If you overcome yourself you have strength.
    If you know how to be satisfied you are rich.
    If you can act with vigor, you have a will.
    If you don't lose your objectives you can be long-lasting.

If you die without loss, you are eternal.
    Tao Te Ching.

Out of life's school of war: What does not destroy me makes me stronger.
    Friedrich Nietzsche - The Twilight of the Idols.

Out, out, brief candle!
    Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player
    that struts and frets it hour upon the stage
    and then is heard no more; It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
    signifying nothing.
    William Shakespeare - Macbeth

Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind.
    Tool - Lateralus

[ September 21, 2003, 11:28: Message edited by: Morgoth ]

10. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

I like that one Morgoth,
    I have to make a note of it.
    /me has a collection of quotes he likes.

11. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] I have a few quotes to live by, but none I know who said them.

"Forever is a long time to wait, remember but do not hope on what you wait for."
    "There is always a cage, you just can't always see it."
    "Feel nothing and nothing can hurt you"
    "Oh god, not another one"
    "**** happens, and it teaches me maths"

and a few more as well.

12. Baezlebub Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

@ RotKu, your quote was said by Einstein. Brilliant mind.

The first one that I really took to heart was a poem by Robert Frost.

The Road Not Taken

TWO roads diverged in a yellow wood,
    And sorry I could not travel both
    And be one traveler, long I stood
    And looked down one as far as I could
    To where it bent in the undergrowth;
    Then took the other, as just as fair,
    And having perhaps the better claim,
    Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
    Though as for that the passing there
    Had worn them really about the same,
    And both that morning equally lay
    In leaves no step had trodden black.
    Oh, I kept the first for another day!
    Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
    I doubted if I should ever come back.
    I shall be telling this with a sigh
    Somewhere ages and ages hence:
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

That hit a nerve, and I really understood it the first time I heard it. Great piece of poetry.

Whose woods these are I think I know.
    His house is in the village, though;
    He will not see me stopping here
    To watch his woods fill up with snow.

My little horse must think it queer
    To stop without a farmhouse near
    Between the woods and frozen lake
    The darkest evening of the year.

He gives his harness bells a shake
    To ask if there is some mistake.
    The only other sound's the sweep
    Of easy wind and downy flake.

The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep.

Another great, and it seems to me that it is happening everywhere now. Inaction seems to be the way of life now. It's annoying to see that all people around me take comfort in the idea that 'it'll never happen to me' or 'not my problem'.

Theres another couple from shakespeare, but I cant be bothered reciting them all now. I'll look them up later.

13. trillex Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Knowledge speaks, wisdom listens.

My very favorite quote.

It was by Einstein

14. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    A few I thought of off-hand:

"He was the ugliest f***in' Indian I ever saw!"
    Michael Greyeyes in Dance Me Outside.
    I'm half Native American. That particular line sure takes me back to my teenage years, where that sort of humour was typical within my circle of friends, and the larger community.

"All shall love me and despair!"
    It's kind of sad that the term 'girl power' was brought into vogue by those vile skanks called the Spice Girls. Those whores embodied everything demeaning to the fairer sex, and turned the very term 'girl power' right on its head. Galadriel is the real deal when it comes to 'girl power' and the thought that she could take Sauron to task simply by accepting the ring is an awe-inspiring one.

"No others had known such joy, though the time was brief"
    A reference from the Silmarillion to when Beren and Luthien first enjoyed each other's company, before the discovery by Luthien's condescending father, Thingol. I still cling to the hope that I can experience something like that, but serendipity has thus far insisted on avoiding me (sigh).

15. Greenlion420 Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Be good and you will be lonesome, be lonesome and you will be free.

Mark Twain

16. Sprite Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

"You must be the change you want to see in the world." - Gandhi

"If pigs could vote, the man with the slop bucket would be elected swineherd every time, no matter how much slaughtering he did on the side." - Orson Scott Card

"Treat people as if they were what they ought to be, and you help them to become what they are capable of being." - Goethe

"The noblest fate that a man can endure is to place his own mortal body between his loved home and the war's desolation." - Robert A. Heinlein

"There is a word for this combination of military celebration, disdain of objection, intimidation of dissent and abuse of sentiment. The word is fascism." - Mark Kingwell

"Moi was upset. But Moi got over it." - Miss Piggy

17. Silverwolf86 Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

"I don't care about the boys. Horse loves me and that is quite sufficient, Thank-you." -- That's from the Princess Bride (the book, I'm not sure if it's in the movie or not...) and I say it to myself whenever I get annoyed with guys in general.

"To dream the impossible dream
    To fight the unbeatable foe
    To bear with unbearable sorrow
    To run where the brave dare not go
    To right the unrightable wrong
    To love pure and chaste from afar
    To try when you arms are too weary
    To reach the unreachable star
    This is my quest, to follow that star
    No matter how hopeless, no matter how far
    To fight for the right without question or pause
    To be willing to march into hell for a heavenly cause. . ."
    ~And that's from Man of La Mancha -- the musical based on Don Quixote. A solid list of all idealists beliefs :) Gotta love a man who can sing that and mean it ;)

"It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live," -- Professor Dumbledore in the first Harry Potter book. I need to remind myself of that quote once in while. . .

"If I didn't laugh at the world, I'd have to cry." -- Silk from the Belgariad. I love Silk :roll:

And then my last quote to live by is, "The world is in need of dreamers. The world is in need of doers. But what the world needs most of all is dreamers that do." And I have no idea who said it, it was just up in a doctor's office once and it stuck with me.

18. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    The greatest thing you ever learn is just to love and be loved in return - Moulin Rouge

Life is like a box o'chocolats: You never know what y'are gonna get. - Forest Gump

Oft evil will shall evil mar - LotR (book)

For I reckon that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us. - Romans 8

Death is swallowed up in victory. Oh death where is your victory? Oh death, where is your sting? - 1 Corinthians 15

Judge not, that you be not judged. For with what judgement you judge, you shall be judged... - Mat 7

19. Faragon Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

"Do not kill, do not rape, do not steal. These are principles which every man of every faith can embrace. These are not polite suggestions. These are codes of behavior and those of you that ignore them will pay the dearest cost." Boondock Saints

"Have you ever been in love? Horrible, isn't it? It makes you so vulnerable. It opens your chest and it opens up your heart and it means that someone can get inside you and mess you up. You build up all these defenses, you build up a whole suit of armor so that nothing can hurt you... Then one stupid person, no different from any other stupid person, wanders into your stupid life... you give them a piece of you. They didn't ask for it. They did something dumb one day, like kiss you or smile at you, and then your life isn't your own anymore. Love takes hostages. It gets inside you. It eats you out and leaves you crying in the darkness, so simple a phrase like 'maybe we should be just friends' turns into a glass splinter working its way into your heart. It hurts. Not just in the imagination. Not just in the mind. It's a soul-hurt, a real gets-inside-you-and-rips-you-apart pain. I hate love." Gaiman

"We renounce no friendship. But it may be part of a friend to rebuke a friend's folly." J.R.R. Tolkien

"When the light of the sun has died, no candle can replace it." G.R.R. Martin

First ones that come to mind.

20. Valkyrie Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I like the Bible verses too.

"Do not rejoice, O my enemy; when I fall I shall rise, when I am in darkness the Lord will be a ligh to me" can't remember what book or anything, but it was my verse for confirmation.

"The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese." :D No comment

"You don't have forever, so make now count." After my friend died in 6th grade, I took a second look at life, and decided I had to shape up. This little saying means a lot to me.

'It may look like I'm not doing anything, but on the cellular level, I'm really quite busy." I have scientist for a dad, what can I say?

"You'll Never Walk Alone" the motto of Liverpool FC, my beloved English soccer team

"The way some people talk about soccer, you'd think the result of one game was a matter of life and death. They don't understand; it is much more than that." Bill Shankley, former manager, Liverpool FC

"It is the second rule of football (the first being that the ref is always biased against your team) that to be a true fan you must hate your nearest local rivals." Polly Nicolson, Newcastle, England

"He's in the car." Watch the Untouchables, about prohibition in Chicago, and you'll understand.

"I'm shakin' so hard, I feel like I'm dancin'" Band of Brothers.

"You need people of intelligence on this sort of mission... quest... thing." Pippin
    "Well that rules you out, Pip." Merry
    "You shall be the Fellowship of the Ring." Elrond
    "Great. Where are we goin'?" Pippin.

One of my teachers was talking about Pearl Harbor, and he said "They were caught with their pants down." to which one of my classmates replied: "Uh, I believe that was the Clinton administration sir."

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.