1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Quick question about skills

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by Koki, Jan 20, 2006.

1. Koki Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

When game does "social" skill tests(Diplomacy, Bluff, etc.) are the tests real tests ot just skill value checks? Lets take a Diplomacy check. Is the skill normally tested(With a possibility of failure or success based on the skill level) or does the game simply checks the skill value(I.e. Diplomacy of 8 or more - automatic success, 1-7 - automatic fail)?

2. Ilmater's Suffering Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

atuomatic success, diplomacy/itimidate/bluff create dialogue options if your skill is high enough.

3. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

As far as I know, there is no dice roll associated with these tests.

4. Grey Magistrate Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Follow-on question: are there any dialogue options that are INT/WIS based, like in Planescape? I know that some are class-based and others are skill-based, but I'm wondering if there's any difference between chatting with a 8/8 INT/WIS character or a 16/16 INT/WIS character.

5. Koki Gems: 5/31

Damn. There goes my chance of getting all quests done in Targos(Missing "Inspire recruits for Drill Sergeant" right now) :D Looks like my talker needs a bit of stats tweaking...

6. Grey Magistrate Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

I don't think that's a stats problem, if I recall, but a class issue. (I sound like a Marxist!) In the palisade, I think there's one quest (maybe the Inspire Recruits one, can't recall) that can only be done by a cleric, another only by a fighter-type, etc. I'm trying to think of other situations...oh yes, there's that girl outside the Wandering Village that has a separate XP-laden conversation for sorcerers. There are other examples, probably, but I can't think of any right now.

7. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    Some quests are dependant on class, stat, or both, regardless of skills.

8. Ilmater's Suffering Gems: 21/31

inspiring recruits just requires a high charisma (14 I believe). Blessing the recruits requires you to be a cleric (sorry Paladins, you just won't do). There are a couple of intelligence based responses, one is getting the Priest of Myrkul to reveal his desire to loot the dead, another is translating goblin languages if your race doesn't already know some goblin, the third one is with the hellbolter (believe, either way it is with one of those two uber crossbows that duergar is working on) to figure out the problem with the item. I'm not sure of any wis based dialogue unfortunately, IWD2 doesn't take much more then alignment/class into account when determining possible dialogue options.

9. crucis

crucis Fighting the undead in Selune's name Veteran

Actually, I think that there are multiple ways of delivering the inspirational speech, IS, if I've read the dialog tree properly (using Near Infinity).

Yes, clerics can absolutely deliver inspiration, relative to their domain. There are 9 different messages for each of the 9 different domains. The Tempus cleric sings battle songs, the ilateriam cleric talks of letting Ilmater ease their suffering, and so on. BTW, there seems to be no requirement that clerics have any particular CHA to deliver this blessing.

But it also appears that a Good-aligned character with a CHA of 13+ can deliver a "good" inspiration (i.e. "We inspired some of Targos' new recruits; they should face the battle to come with greater courage than they had before."), while an Evil-aligned character with a CHA of 13+ can deliver a more evil-oriented message of "inspiration" (i.e. "We inspired some of Targos' new recruits by showing them the hopelessness and desperation of their situation - and then showing them how much WORSE it could be. The part where we elaborated on their corpses hanging from the bone trees in the fields of the dead seemed to hold their interest immensely.").

I'm glad you mentioned this. I've never run across this particular option before. I guess I've never spoken to all that many people in the Palisades area before.

10. Ilmater's Suffering Gems: 21/31

I'm such an exp whore that the main party I play has a Lawful Good Character, a Chaotic Good character, a True Neutral character, a Lawful Evil character and two Neutral Evil characters, so I can get all the exp without running into the supposed problems with acting out of alignment. I've gotten very use to making sure just about every character does their share of talking.

The biggest problem with this mixed alignment is trying to roleplay a back story...

11. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    Can't think of anything off the top of my head (but then again I'm still in chapter 5), but a few dialogs are INT based, such as being able to recognise Caged Fury is the demon's true name without any previous hints.

12. crucis

crucis Fighting the undead in Selune's name Veteran

There are some WIS triggered dialog options, perhaps a dozen or so. I did a search of the dialogs using Near Infinity and came up with a short list. A big chunk of them came in the monastery, but there were also a few others spreak around the game.

13. Koki Gems: 5/31

I know about the race/class reqs, but just for kicks I made "All 40" female Tiefling Fighter/Rogue(I didn't go far with it, stupid dynamic diff) and I got the option. So all it takes is CHA or skills.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.