1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Questions! (you luv these remember?)

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale (Classic)' started by Hard Blunt Stone of Fury, Sep 6, 2005.

1. Hard Blunt Stone of Fury Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Ok I played IWD2 already so now I wonder should I get IWD1? and does IWD1 have more then 5-20 sidequests? (i love sidequests...they're easy items and exp. and sometimes moneys :) )

So is IWD1 good? Does it have interesting sidequests?

IWD2 had no good sidequests that were fun and some of the main quests weren't much funner. But I loved the Race thingys like shield dwarf, drow elf etc. I suspect that IWD1 doesn't have that. But anyways is IWD1 harder then BG1 and/or BG2?

And can I make my own party in IWD1 like in IWD2?

Thankyou for taking the time to answer my questions.

P.S: Is IWD1 a game that you can play over and over without getting sick if it like BG1 (sorry BG2 but I hated how you could get every stat to 18+ with just a few magic items that don't take much effort to find)

2. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I like IWD I better than IWD II mainly because I did not like the IWD II story. I have no idea how many side quests there are. There is the free expansion but I wouldn't call it easy. You can get IWD I cheap via Amazon. Be sure to use the SP link.

3. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

The story and game of IWD is just as straight as IWD II. You will be lead from one place to another with no choice as to your next step. Thus no side quests. The only difference is the expansion HoW, which you can start (and must complete in one go) whenever you wish.

This is 2e and will have practically the same races and classes as BG. Unlike BG:II there are no stat increasing items in IWD.

IWD can be a bit powergamy but it is never rediculously overpowered as SoA. All in all I liked it since it is a break from the rapid fire way of quests being thrown in your face like it happens in SoA.

Yes, you have to create your own party, there are no joinable NPCs.

4. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mênu! Veteran

What's the free expansion, and where can I get it?

5. Lynadin Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

You need HoW to play the free expansion. It can only be downloaded, it's called Trials of the Luremaster.

6. Klorox

Cool! I'll be downloading it tomorrow (I assume I can find it on this site) and will continue on with my game (detailed below).

BTW, can I add this Trials of the Luremaster onto a game that's already been started, or do I need to start a new game (if I do, it's not a big problem, I'm very close to the beginning).

7. Lynadin Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Klorox, you can find it here. The expansion also contains a patch, so i don't know if you can run your old saves, but give it a shot ;)
    (Oh, I forgot to say - The expansion is 72 MB :eek: )

8. Shrikant

You should be able to play the savegame even after installing TotLM. You don't have any mods so the patch won't matter. And TotLM is essentially an expansion to HoW, so you are a long way from getting there yet.

9. Hard Blunt Stone of Fury Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I am convinced to try it then :)
    I may not be back for awhile so yeah I'M CONVINCED! Ok I maybe too distracted to come here.

P.S: Those quests thrown in your face in BG2 is quite annoying thanks for reminding me about that other bad part about BG2...I used to be scared to go on that ship (it's a ship if I remember correctly) just incase some harper or something came to tell me I must return to do something.

*EDIT*
    Sorry but I plan to trade my original BG2 disks for it. And dun worry I have back-up BG2 disks that work :D (trust me they work, I played right through BG2 SoA and ToB with them)Don't glare at me for having back-up BG2 disks that work.

10. Klorox

Ok, I tried downloading Trials of the Luremaster, but it isn't free. I need to become a member of Fileplanet.com (which there's a fee) to download this mod.

Is there anyplace else where I can download this mod?

11. Arifirh Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Well, Fileplanet is free - you probably saw one of their adverts for their high-speed subscriber-only servers. The public servers are always free, though. No cost to register.

12. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    There are some other places that have it up besides Fileplanet (someone posted a link here not long ago), but they usually don't last long. It's available from SP for the SPS account holders, however.

13. Klorox

I had to get on a waiting list. This is terrible on dial up.

I figured it out shortly after my above post, and I've only got about 5 hours left of downloading.

14. Shrikant

I have it shared on emule but I am generally online only after 9pm local time (approx 12 hrs difference from you.) Since I too am on dial up downloding it would be fun :shake:

15. Klorox

LOL, thanks guys. I ended up getting the download, I just went to sleep with the computer running! :)

16. Yoshimo's Heart Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

one part of IWD I is with HoF mode on you turn every battle into a war campaign. Near the end I would spend quite a long time on one battle just because the amount and quality of the enemies were so high. I had to use all my spells, even my first level entangles to beat a large force of fire giants. Simply amazing!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.