1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Questions mostly about Khalid and Jaheira

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by Blue, Feb 3, 2002.

1. Blue Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

[​IMG] I'm new to BG, but have played both SoA and ToB of BGII. I've just started my first game in BG, and haven't come very far, but have just finished Nashkel mines and Gnoll stronghold, and find myself with two couples, Minsk/Dynaheir and Khalid/Jaheira.

1. From BGII I know how close Jaheira and Khalid came to be at the end, (like soulmates or somehting) but in my present game their relationship doesn't seem to have developed that far yet. Thus far, their only conversation has been Khalid asking Jaheira not to be so intolerable (or some such). If I keep them both in my group the entire game, will I witness any visible development of their relationship, like romantic conversations or something? Will they marry during the game? Will they talk much to each other, or very little? Will I miss out on something if I let her get killed on a solo mission? ;)

2. My party is good aligned, Jaheira is the only neutral. Will she, as a druid, be as useful as a cleric? Will she be able to raise dead? Or will I be better off with a cleric?

3. From BGII I sorely miss Anomen, who was a cleric with fighter abilities, because he was both a good cleric and a great tank, wearing full armour, using mace, flail and hammer. Jaheira so far can only use a spiked club and a dagger, and sucks as a tank. Will she be able to use any more weapons later? Can I find an "Anomen-type" cleric/fighter to fit my good party somewhere?

4. At this point in my game, I'm using Minsk and Khalid as my fighters/tanks. Will it be a good trade if I replace Khalid with the paladin I should meet sometime later in the game?

5. Both Minsk and Khalid have the same scripts, fighter2, which makes them "not walk too far from their leader". I can use Minsk to walk around gathering loot, or walk alone into houses, and other tasks that takes him away from the group. If I make him stop, he stays put. When I try to use Khalid the same way, it's impossible because he only walks a few steps before he turns around and walks straight back to me so close he's almost stepping on my toes (when I'm the leader), and if I leave the group a little to walk somewhere, the rest of the group stays put, but Khalid follows me right on my heels. This happens even in safe surroundings, like in a town or inside a house. Why is he doing that?? Why isn't Minsc acting the same way as they have the same script? (I'm talking about non-fighting situations here, so him being a coward shouldn't apply....?)

6. Is Dynaheir the best good aligned mage, or will I find someone better, neutral/good?

2. Lord Sarevok Guest

1. They already are married. BG1 doesn't have the kind of dialogs between NPCs like BG2 does, only a few sound bites once in awhile.

2. She misses out on a lot of good spells, but I suggest keeping her as she gets Call Lighting at level 3. She's also a better fighter. If you want a(good/neutral) cleric, take Branwen, she's the statue at the carnival near Nashkel. You'll have to use a stone to flesh scroll on her. No druid, or cleric for that matter in BG1, can raise the dead. Only way is to go to a temple and have it done.

3. There is one fighter/cleric named Yeslick, but you find him rather late in the game. As for weapons, I'd give her a club and sling +1, there aren't many good enchanted weapons in BG1 anyway. If you have TotSC, she can use Scimitars.

4. Well, there is one Paladin named Ajantis, you can find him north of the friendly arm inn. I would keep Khalid though, as he can get mastery in weapons, making him a better choice. I would suggest replacing Minsc with Kivan, a Ranger who you can meet in the high hedge, west of beregost. Tanks aren't very important in this game, as most characters have crappy THACO in melee. You're better off sticking to range, only going in melee if you have to.

5. Just turn off AI for a moment, and do what you need to do. I always play with AI off anyway, but if you insist...

6. Hmm, she's probably the best mage. I like Xan more though, cause he's an elf, even though he can't cast evocation, which stinks. If you take him stock up on magic missle scrolls.

7. It's Minsc, not Minsk. ;)

8. Heh.

[This message has been edited by Taluntain (edited February 03, 2002).]

[This message has been edited by Lord Sarevok (edited February 04, 2002).]

[This message has been edited by Lord Sarevok (edited February 06, 2002).]

3. Farthy Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

Actually, Khalid and Jaheira do exchange a few lines of dialogue. From the ones I've heard, she usually insults him or teases him! Poor Khalid!

4. FisH Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Jaheira realy gets on my nerves when you get an heroic rep value. Its becouse she's neutral and all, and she starts complaining about how "this group is turning out", and that "better leadership might help", about every 5 seconds...

It's not been the first time I've been considdering using the force attack button on that stuck up bitch. But then again, she's quit usefull as a healer. (can't remember using her lightning spell)

She's a good companion, as long as she keeps her mouth shut. Picking on Khalid like that... tssss.

5. Korp Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Hello!

I've been reading these boards for some time and have noticed that the general opinion seems to bee that Jaheira is a ***** and that Khalid is the valuable character in this partnership.

I strongly disagree!

I can't stand Khalids endless rambling of "My heart is not in this" and how he seems to chiken out when we get ourselves in a tight situation. I think Jaheira is right to give him stick.

I use Jaheira as partyleader with Algernons cloak and Anheg armor. I enjoy her "Yes, O omnipresent authorityfigur?".

She's the best!

Korp the librarian

6. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Great questions blue! I'm in the same boat. You're a little further than me, but I'm wondering about my party make up too. I have the exact same lineup (did you say that you had inomen too?). My PC is a paladin, and i'm wondering who else I should swap around.

Thanks for the feedback all!

7. ArtEChoke Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

[​IMG] Dump Khalid and Jaheria both, they are completely useless, there are much better fighters than both of them in the game (Coran and Kivan come to mind), and Jaheria is pretty bad as a spell caster too, if you need a priest/fighter type, I'd go with Yeslick.

8. Blue Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

[​IMG] Yep, Mathetais, I have Imoen too, so it seems we chose the same party so far. I've been thinking, though, to replace Jaheira with a good cleric, so I can have all the cleric spells, and also to avoid hearing her complaints about my 20 rep. I'm getting reeeally tired now of hearing her mocking "oh omnipresent authority figure"... yech!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.