1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Questions from a noob (already, doncha know?)Possible spoiler(s)?

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights (Classic)' started by Honour_Shogun, Jun 22, 2002.

1. Honour_Shogun Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] Ok a few questions:

1) Sub races. Is there a way to actually implement them with their bonuses and disadvantages? I would think with the toolset, but any idea how?

2) Henchman. How many are we allowed? Just one at a time? And what is the length of time needed to wait to have them advance their "stories"?

3)Animal companions and familiars. They will not cause any loss of stats or experience if they die(like in PnP?)

4) Experience. Ok, this is one that really confuses me. Now, how exactly is it computed in regards to monsters? Is it solely based on the Creature Rating? If so, if I had a level 2 Bard/ 2 Barbarian half-elf, and I met a monster with a CR of say, 7, would I get lots of xp? Or little? And is it random?
    Here is a possible spoiler..

Ok, in Beggar's nest, when fighting the zombies, before I went to level 5, I was getting 29 xp per kill, and afterwards, only 12. Why is this? And what happens if your henchman kills the creature? Do you lose the xp?

Last question about XP. When given quest xp, is it split? I mean, do I get half and my henchman get half?

Sorry for the long and perhaps confusing questions, I am just confused.

2. Vormaerin Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Hi H-S!

I'll answer a few of your questions.

1) Yes, it is possible to create the subraces with the Toolset. I haven't personally done it yet though, I'll skip on the details. :)

2) You can only have one henchman travelling with you at a time, though you can have more than one 'paid for' if you want. The stories advance as you advance in levels, not based on time elapse. I'm not sure the exact rate, but that's the method.

3) Familiars only cause some hp damage when they die, instead of the nastier stuff in earlier editions. Animal companions just die, AFAIK.

4) Experience points are based on the relative level of the monster and the character (the challenge rating). You get more experience for taking out higher challenge ratings and A LOT less for taking out critters of lower ratings. On top of that, NWN reduces xp earned to 1/10 that of PnP play because of the differing rates of play. Henchmen kills are the same as yours.

The reason for the drop off against the zombies is because you are now a higher challenge rating than they are. The drop off is pretty steep. The henchman is essentially invisible to experience points in this game. More or less, the henchman levels at the same time you do and doesn't gain or need experience. They are pretty much treated the same way as familiars in this game.

Aloha
    Vormaerin

3. Honour_Shogun Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Many thanks! It clears up much of my confusion.

Ok, now in regards to advancing the story of the henchman, let's say that I take the barbarian at level 3, advance a few levels, enough to get him to talk some more, then go and get the rogue. Will the rogue act as if I have just met him( ie, in effect, the levels I gained don't really count. So, if I went from level 3 to 5 with the barbarian, and then switched to the rogue, he would act as though I had not advanced any levels?

Sorry if this is kinda confusing, but what happens if you get everyone into your party early, get them to tell you the first part of their stories, then level up with one. Will the others act as though you have made the necessary advancement in levels and reveal the second part of their story? Or do you need to advance with each henchman to get them to reveal the second part of their story?

Thanks for the help, as this is perhaps one thing that is really perplexing.

4. Vormaerin Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Too be honest, I haven't tried that out. The henchmen will level up to match you if necessary when you add them (should be dialogue option if its necessary, probably not in chapter 1). I *think* the dialogues have a specific level trigger, not an 'x levels advanced' trigger, but I don't want to be reading the module in the Toolset until I finish it, so I can't say for sure.

But the real question is: "Will the Denmark AAR ever get finished?" :D

Aloha
    Vormaerin

[This message has been edited by Vormaerin (edited June 22, 2002).]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.