1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Question on what characters you like and what weapons you use.

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by piratebbbb, Jun 7, 2003.

1. piratebbbb Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Hi everyone. What class and race of main characters do you use and what weapons? I want to create a multi player with some really good characters.

2. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I've teetered a bit over what makes a good all-created party. But after participating in several good threads here on the subject, here's the best line-up I've come up with:

Barbarian. (IMO, much better than a Berserker). Half-orc is best here, but Dwarves are good too. I dual-wielded Katanas, Long Swords, and Flails (Flail of Ages and Celestial Fury are a great combo). I might switch Axes for Flails actually.
    Cavalier or Inquisitor. Human, obviously. Halberds, 2-handed swords, and crossbows.
    Archer. Go with an elf for the higher Dex. (substitute Monk or Kensai if you prefer here). Long/Short bows to the max, and I went with a Spear for my melee weapon. I recommend the Impaler.
    Ranger/Cleric. Both cleric & druid spells, turns undead, dual wields, all the healing you need. If you still want a romance, substitute any of them here (as they're all healers). Hammers, Maces, Flails, and Slings. Crom Fayr and the Flail of Ages are a good dual, but I'd give him a shield so he can use the Sling of Seeking.
    Illusionist/Thief. Great natural thief bonuses, high INT if you go with a Gnome here. Gesen Short Bow, Firetooth Crossbow and any of the great Short Swords and Scimitars for him.
    Sorcerer. Very versatile in battle. I'd go with an Elf here. Can learn less spells, but that's where your gnome can make up for that. For weapons, you're kinda screwed. Slings and Staves early on. Get daggers next, because the Firetooth +4 makes a good missile/melee weapon. Later on, the Staff of the Magi will make you a God.

I'd go with the Sorcerer or Cavalier as your PC, as I think they have the coolest Stronghold quests, but that's just my opinion. Plus, you can have a familiar if you go with either the Sorcerer or Mage/Thief. This is the best party I've ever come up with, and it's a ton of fun to play. You cover all the bases of the game, and it's a very diverse setup. I think having all humans are boring, so this allows some freedom.

[ June 07, 2003, 01:19: Message edited by: Death Rabbit ]

3. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    I suffer from diagnosed Severe Paladinisation Disorder. All paladins, all cavalliers so far. Maybe I'll take an inquisitor once or a plain one with bows.

4. Death Whisper Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

well, then try some classes you like....
    i would recommend you to try to remember the different stuff that is in the game so it makes it easier when deciding for example what weapon skills you choose....

i dont really wanna say what party you should have. but i will post some characters that is nice. just look through them and see if you find anyone interesting.

the chars:

human monk
    Human Assasin\fighter level 25\26 (good backstab)
    Human Kensai\fighter level 25\27 (good tank)
    Human Mage:kit\cleric level 22\23 (just choose kit yourself, recommended is conjuror).
    Half-Orc Kensai
    Half-Orc Fighter\thief (multiclassed)
    Human kensai\mage level 13\xx (think it is 13\27)
    Human paladin:undead hunter (carsomyr, immune to level drain)
    human kensai\cleric level 13\xx
    Elf or half elf, Wild Mage

if you do a dualclassed fighter\thief, remember to go with thief weapons so you can backstab, a thief wielding for example cromfayer cant backstab.

also try to select different weapon types for each character, for example one using longswords and katanas while another using war hammers and clubs....thus you will get too use good weapons instead of risking using bad weapons on one character because the other is using the good ones.

recommended fighter dual wielding weapon types:
    Bastardswords and war hammers (foebane and cromfayer)
    katanas and war hammers (celestial fury and cromfayer)
    longswords and katanas (angurvadal and celestial fury)
    longswords and war hammers (any and cromfayer)
    longswords and bastardswords (angurvadal and foebane)

recommended theif dual wielding and so on:
    katana and longsword (celestial fury and angurvadal)
    scimitar and short sword (spectral brand and short sword of the mask)
    scimitar and longsword (spectral brand and any)

fighters can also use two handed weapons such as spears and two handed swords.

the thief dual wielding was with thought on beeing able to backstab. if you wish to sacrifice backstab, there are other weapons to use if dual or multi classing.

be sure you research alittle and think before setting your char up so you dont stand left with crappy characters.

for example the kensai\thief level 25\27 get just enough skill points to get grandmastery in two weapon types and max out dual wielding.
    i did the mistake of giving two points in single weapon style, i think you see where that went.

Why take grandmastery?
    why not....i would rather have the extra thac0 and damage and so on than beeing able to use different types of weapons.

I saw kensai\mage there....isnt it difficult to get the abilities right and weapon type right?

No, i recommend grandmastery in quarterstaffs or flails or missile weapons...(staff of the ram and staff of the magi comes in mind).
    concerning abilities: max out int. and wis., then dex. and con. and at last str.
    you must probably sit awhile to get good enough roll, but take your time.....

What about dual classed chars when they dual class? Wont they be weak?
    Yes and no, that depends when you dual class.
    for example the kensai\mage 13\xx will get his kensai power back again pretty quick.
    the kensai\thief 25\27 will surely be alot weaker when dualing. but you will be able to use the HLA's gained as a kensai while beeing a thief, which helps alot until you regain the kensai class. (this apply for any other dual classed chars too who have gained hla's for their first class.

if i do a kensai\thief, wont i miss a thief in a large part of the game?
    yes and no again. thats up to you.
    when the kensai\thief get his kensai power back, he\she will be as powerful as a pure kensai meaning he\she can be considered as a tank, meaning that you bring along another thief with you. probably a pure thief, a assasin\fighter or a fighter\thief multiclass.

thats what i can come up with now....

i know i have probably said waaaaaaayyyyyyy to much, but that is just me ^_^

feel free to ask any other questions.

5. Drumheller Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Recently I've become more minimalist in my party composition. I like running around with 3 or 4 characters because it's faster to level up and easier to get around tight spots (very annoying with 6 people). Next party I'm considering:

Inquisitor
    This guy is a true tank in every sense of the word. Great AC and hitpoints, but also awesome saving throws and magic resistance. Give this guy Carsomyr and he's a true madman early in the game. True Sight and a strong Dispel Magic ruin many a mages' day :D .

Monk
    I may take him instead of the Inquisitor. There's something very appealing about beating the crap out of your enemies with your fists!

Assasin
    Elven for bows and long sword bonus, but I'd probably use katanas and staff for Hindo's Doom and Staff of the Ram. Short bow for most work. With ToB the 15 thieving points per level is no longer a problem, and this guy is ideal for hit-and-fade tactics.

Sorcerer
    Death Rabbit has got this covered! I don't learn True Sight because my Inquistor takes care of that.

Ranger/Cleric
    The more I play the more I find that I don't really need priest spells. The only priests I would take are a Ranger/Cleric or Shapeshifter (improved version). Combined with a Sorc, your party is ridiculously powerful.

This isn't the best party for experimenting with all the weapons ToB has to offer, but the most important aspect is to have fun (and embarrass your enemies).

6. Death Whisper Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

well just another advice:
    when you are dualwielding, you have two slots to put your weapons in use (and another 2 or three for flexibility), i useally put a weapon that have good effects against creatures in the weapon slot and a weapon that gives me some good bonuses in the shield slot.

why?

because the weapon in the shield slot will rarely hit anything anyway, thus i can get more bonuses on myself doing what i said.
    for example blackrazor is a fine off hand weapon because it gives immunity to charm and one other thing.

thing this way if you feel like it, as i sad, the off hand weapon (shield slot) will rarely hit anything anyway. my kensai\thief (new one) uses hindo's doom and blackrazor which is a nice combo.
    i also keep celestial fury which i use when fighting non-bosses or creature that is vulnerable against +3 weapons.

to baf the purifier is for paladins only....would be nice to dual wield it with foebane me thinks.
    anyway....another good offhand weapon i discovered (known it for a long time, but not its stats and usefulness) is axe of the unyielding.

one last advice:
    when choosing weapons and profiency....think after which equiptment you will probably use.
    there is no point in using angurvaddal +5 and amulet of power together since one of angurvadals bonus is immunity to level drain and also probably the only one. (exept for str. set to 22).

just a last NOTE:

weapons that have nice bonuses that does something to enemies should be main hand weapons.
    weapons that gives bonuses to YOU, should be off hand weapons.
    this because the off hand weapon will rarely hit. (dont ask me why).

So, is it worth dual wielding?
    Absolutely.

Who should dual wield and you should not?
    fighters, paladins, barbarians, fighter\thiefs and fighter: "kit" \thief should or can dual wield (paladins can dual wield purifier with a other weapon,though you might like two handed style and carsomyr instead).

mages, sorcerors, clerics, druids and the rest should not dual wield. rangers can dual wield if u like though.
    clerics and druids should use sword and shield style....

but as i said....its up too you..

i only give my thoughts and so on...

but i say to you: Research....check weapons and equiptment and their bonuses. check which suits you the best and when all this is done, you can create the character.....

but i say again...its up to you...and folow that last advice only if you feel like ccreating a very good party...
    good parties are also more difficult to play with.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.